Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Direction Alpha Five is going in for Client Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direction Alpha Five is going in for Client Server

The direction that Alpha Five is headed in terms of being able to "front end" a wide variety of "back end databases"

http://www.alphasoftware.com/products/a5v5/presentations/Alpha%20Five%20and%20Client%20Server_three_files/frame.htm
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

RE: Direction Alpha Five is going in for Client Se

Hi Richard,

This is great! It would be nice if I could download it so I can show it to a client.

Thanks,

Dan
    Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

This is a nice presentation but it doesn't play well on Netscape.

Russ

Comment

that is correct Russ

it was prepared in PowerPoint and as you know Microsoft
        would like us to all think the world belongs to them:)
        Richard Rabins
        Co Chairman
        Alpha Software

Comment

I guess we have to put up with it. I use Corel presentations but same problem for MS users.

Russ

Comment

One question:

You speak about ADO and OLE DB. Isn't Microsoft past that already with ADO.Net? How does all this fit in with Microsofts .Net product line?

Comment

Congratulations Richard...it's very nice BUT when will Alpha 6 be available...to develop and sell to users?.

A realistic date would save me learning/spending money on .net

ps...'Rome' wasn't built in a day...but with WAS it does now look possible...Hurry up Lenny

Comment

we are in beta test on the WAS -- we are equally anxious to ship but in the long run it makes sense to rush

We will keep you posted :)
                Richard Rabins
                Co Chairman
                Alpha Software

Comment

it should have read NOT to rush -- but then I am sure you figured that out!
                  Richard Rabins
                  Co Chairman
                  Alpha Software

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Richard
                    I should have also said...
                    1 - Will you ship WAS before January 2004
                    2 - Will you ship Alpha Client Server before March 2004

Comment

I remember reading in 2002 that the WAS was going to be ready late in the year... then in March of 2003... now...

I KNOW its going to be worth waiting for, but I made some decisions on not learning other technologies based on A6 coming out "soon"... Just remember that when you tease the "hungry masses" in the future with projected release dates of new product. When promising a client a finish date, I always estimate long, then make him happy when I deliver early... Otherwise... disappointment...

Comment

I have to agree with Bruce. I sold the WAS concept to a couple of my clients and now I look foolish because there is no product available. I have now invested in Microsoft .NET training along with Microsoft SQL Server. Slower, more cumbersome, but available. Depends on timing for the Alpha Product, but, I am beginning to move on to other development products.

I will still use Alpha Five for desktop applications, for now. But the web based applications really solve the problems of my clients better than desktop applications. I hope Alpha gets this out to the public soon. I certainly would rather work in the Alpha world than in the Microsft world!

Ron Wills
                        Small Business Technology, Inc.

Comment

I know waiting can be frustrating -- but we think that you will like what is coming and we are getting a lot closer.

we plan providing more info re timing in the coming weeks

Thanks

btw anyone who wants to be considered for beta testing should please email me at [email protected]

Sincerely
                          Richard Rabins
                          Alpha Software
                          Richard Rabins
                          Co Chairman
                          Alpha Software

Comment

Hi Richard,

I certainly would like to be considered for beta testing the WAS.

Season's Greetings, Happy New Year and much success to you and everyone else at Alpha Software.

Melvin

Comment

thanks

please can you send an email to me and to jeannette cook

thanks Melvin

[email protected]
                              [email protected]
                              Richard Rabins
                              Co Chairman
                              Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                              X