Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five v5 good review in PC Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Five v5 good review in PC Magazine

Finally!

The January 2003 issue of PC Magazine features a detailed comparison of the major personal databases, and this time Alpha Five is included.

The article begins on page 116, and the A5 review starts on
    page 119.

FYI, it was 2nd compared to Filemaker Pro 6, but if you
    check the summary of features on page 131, you will see the
    difference is not that significant. Basically $50 more, no
    support for XML and the lack of a PDA version.

RE: Alpha Five v5 good review in PC Magazine

Yes, definitely another exposure for Alpha 5.

Quite a few Alpha users were contacted or attempted by PC Magazine, including those that actually made contact WITH PC Mag, asking them to get going with Alpha coverage.

Joe Rotello, Founder WindowGroup
    [email protected]
    Voice: 865.932.0041

Comment

Here is the link
      http://www.nyq.pcmag.com/article2/0,6263,770570,00.asp

Comment

Please note that the rating is four not five stars. Also, Alpha Five is the highest priced database among those reviewed.

John

Comment

Correction, Alpha five is not the highest-priced datatabase reviewed but is third behind askSam Professional 5 and Paradox Professional edition.

Comment

there is another review in PC mag

http://www.nyq.pcmag.com/article2/0,6263,716772,00.asp

Alpha Five is rated 5 Stars in the review.
            Richard Rabins
            Co Chairman
            Alpha Software

Comment

Also please not that none of the others have a forum nearly as good as this and you likely won't get to correspond with the developers and principles of the company directly.

Pc Mag previously reviewed it and gave it 5 stars.

Comment

So Filemaker came out best buy. It is a great product but........

Filemaker is like excellent parents that hold you by the hand and guide you through the intricacies of database design. And as you grow up you need to do things on your own, but Filemaker will not let go of your hand, so you reach a point where you know what you need to do, but can't do it. You could rebel and go to Alpha.

Or you could choose better parents to begin with.

Alpha lets you grow with its handholding. As you grow up you can explore on your own through XBasic, yet you can always return for your parents' handholding.

If your parents' handholding still doesn't help, you've got lots of Aunties and Uncles on the forum as well as the wisdom of your Grandpa Selwyn to help you.

So how to get this across and sell Alpha to the masses? People don't like changing parents - it costs $$$. Trade in your old parents for Alpha at upgrade price?

Robin

Comment

Well Said!

Russ

Comment

Very nice analogy!
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I have built several quite deep filemaker apps and had been an avid FM user from ver4 thru ver6 dev. The issue that made me switch to Alpha5V5 is FM's 3rd party plugin dependance. In FM if you want your app to include basic bells and whistles (pop calendars, smtp mail, menu control)you will need to spend thousands in additional developer license fees. Also FM's developer runtime is only single user.

Alpha5 V5 comes with everything and A5's runtime is as multi user as you need.

Those are the sales points that sold me.

Marc
                      Marc King
                      A5solutions

Comment

Marc .. thanks for sharing that.. we sorta missed that in a comparision thread on forum about two weeks ago (Alpha 5 forum, type in Filemaker, Clarion, Access in the search and it should come up)

That is almost identically the weakness for Clarion, it seems.. a good product that you have to buy a lot of 3rd party templates to get the functionality that we take for granted here .. (you can also expect that relying on a lot of diverse such addins and plugins and templates makes long term upgrades and maintenance much more problematic and costly)
                        ===============

Ryan
                        Also please note that none of the others have a forum nearly as good as this and you likely won't get to correspond with the developers and principles of the company directly.

Steven
                        Definitely true on the developers and principles input, this is a level of involvement I have only seen before on one-man shareware products (Keynote, Zoot maybe TheBat!), what this means to the developer community is just immense.. kudos..

I remember looking at a Filemaker forum for awhile, the developers were very helpful (especially the gal in NYC), so I don't want to begrudge them that, however they were always aware of and commenting on the distance and difficulties of having their ideas expressed to the Filemaker heirarchy, who were looking largely in other directions in enhancements... they were incredibly adept at workarounds, remember they have only scripting, no language, even "extremely adept", however as a programmer I try very hard not to use tools that are workaround dependent :-)
                        =======================================================

Comment

Am I missing something here?

I did not get to see the PC Magazine review until this past Sunday. When I read it, I thought that the folks at Alpha Software must be very happy. Only six months after hitting the market, they score EVEN with Microsoft Access, the best selling desktop database of all time. I don't think Bill Gates is a happy camper with this review and you can bet that the next version of Access will have lots of wizards.

I think the review was very fair. A5 is positioned as the database with alot of power and great ease of use. I think this review can be used to sell the product. What A5 needs now is market share and market visibility. (My suggestion: Give it away. That's right, give it away with a new Dell, Gateway, HP, etc computer. This will put it into the hands of folks who would not otherwise purchase it. It will get Alpha Software's name on the ads for these computers. If you don't have much of an advertising budget, this is the best way to get noticed. )

So V5 now has a five star individual review and a four star comparison review. Not editor's choice but still a pretty good showing. I certainly expected to see more enthusiasm than the tepid comments I have read so far.

Comment

Thanks John for the comments.

We are talking to a number of computer manufacturers/OEM's and magazines along the lines that you are suggesting.

We agree -- we know we have a very good product in Alpha Five v5 -- and we are working to get more folks out there to try it.

If you have any specific suggestions - PLEASE email me directly at [email protected]
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                            X