Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Shadow Management Speaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadow Management Speaks

I'm not sure England does this anymore but I seem to recall they used to have a concept called the Shadow government. The party out of power would have someone appointed to a position equivalent to the real person.

So if Labor was in charge, the Conservatives would name some bloke the Shadow Home Secretary, etc. (all you UK guys cringing feel free to correct all those errors.)

So, with Selwyn out of town, shadow management feels free to say what it would do if running Alpha:

1. (They've fixed this one already.) Having your only free demo being your old version, and making people pay to see the new one and hoping they could get their money back, was just a bad idea.

2. Like Tom Hanks said in "That Thing You Do": "And this name thing with the Oneders? It doesn't work. From now on you're just The Wonders".

The name thing at Alpha is confusing. You name your products after numbers (4 and 5) and then you have versions of 5 named 4 and 5. It doesn't work.

You're hitting the big time. Rename the Products. Alpha for Dos (ver 7.0), Alpha for Windows (version 5), Alpha Web (1.0) and Alpha ADO (1.0). The actual names aren't important. While you're at it, having the programming languages called Xbasic and XDialog for a program called Alpha doesn't seem to make sense.

3. I've decided to use a program launcher at work to try to make my data sources appear more seamless to the end-user. So they click on buttons from a central source, and get data from the Legacy app, MS Access, R&R Report Writer, and Alpha. It would be possible to build this in Alpha. But for this purpose, Alpha is the wrong tool. I'll use VB.

I want to have a 3" x 5" form with buttons on it. Nothing else. I can't do this in Alpha, because everything has to operate within the "shell" of Alpha. My 3" x 5" form would be within Alpha's main window, not on the desktop.

Selwyn has discussed the theoretical possibility of losing the shell. I think this could be HUGE for Alpha. As a database they are trying to grab market share from MS Access. (in both Ver 5 and ADO). With a Web Product you'd be fighting Macromedia Dreamweaver.

If you could release Xbasic/XDialog as stand-alone outside the Alpha shell, you have a totally new product. It would compete with VB and Delphi. You could give it minimal (maybe non-relational) database capabilties. You need more, you get A5. The form-table connection needs to be broken for this to occur.

With this product your competition is VB and Delphi. But add Action Scripting and now you have a product no one has !!! You open up programming to non-programmers!! You have to dedicate yourself to the AS concept. You'd have to almost think that whenever someone says, "you can't do that in AS, you have to code it", that you've failed.

4. Figure out a way to make multiple front-ends hit the same data. That may be the biggest advantage Access has.

5. Don't make us choose between security and 3rd party tools. When convincing customers to use xbase as the file, I expect to hear how "insecure" it is. I can encrypt the database, but then I can't use Excel, or Access or R&R or Crystal (or scores of other products). Give us some way to "decrypt" using these tools.

The Shadow

RE: Shadow Management Speaks

They call it the Shadow Cabinet up here in Canada.
    Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

BUT, the Shadow cabinet here in England tends to disagree with EVERYTHING the real cabinet says for no apparent reason!

Robin

Comment

No difference in Canada. Lots of empty posturing.
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of mortal men?
          ....The Shadow does! :)

regards from one whom remembers.
          Melvin

Comment

Sorry guys, but they are just doing their job! Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition's job is to oppose (loyally). That's the way all (Commonwealth)parliamentary systems work.

Duncan

Comment

Well it is funny to see everyone respond on the first ten lines of your message, but what about the rest? Tom, I agree 100% of what you have stated. You have some very good ideas for Alpha Software to take to heart. I hope that Mr. Rabins took the time to read it! I read through the thread on comparing Access to Alpha5 just before I read yours. I think that the Alpha Software team needs to consider what you have mentioned if they are seriously going to promote Alpha5 as bigger and better. I just wanted to be the first to respond to your statements and offer a "Second" on the motion from the Shadow Management for the changes presented!

- Jeremy -

Comment

>>Well it is funny to see everyone respond on the first ten
                >>lines of your message, but what about the rest?

Good example of why it's important to "get to the point" right from the start :-)

I agree that there were several good points in the original message and that it would be great to see some "to the point" discussion.

Comment

I'm on the local township planning commission and the very first day (many years ago) I was told, and it has been re-enforced many times since, that those who disagree will come and speak very loudly and those who agree usually won't even show up.

Comment

Jeremy's obviously unusual - he showed up.

Comment

Thanks Cal!

I hope I'm not getting a bad rep on this message board for being a little bit of a "Devil's Advocate". I truly believe that Alpha5 is a wonderful product. But, nothing is perfect and there is always room for improvement! That's were I love to come in and share what I feel should be done! If Alpha Software truly had a "Shadow Management", I would be tempted to run for office!!!!!

- Jeremy -

Comment

Working...
                      X