Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

CSDA Utility's new code jump is really cool!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSDA Utility's new code jump is really cool!

I've been using Ira's Utilities for a while, and it has some really cool development tools. But the new code jump feature, by itself, is worth the price of admission.

I write a lot of XBasic code. So, the ability to jump to or open another window from the object name my cursor is sitting on is just too cool. This "Gee Whiz" feature, really cuts down on my keystrokes, (= time) and makes my job much easier.

I also like it that you can link to Cal Locklin's A5 Apps Analyzer right from the Utility's menu.

Re: CSDA Utility's new code jump is really cool!

Yep, same here. I second the motion.
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Hi Ray & Tim,

I'm glad you both like it! I hope others will as well!

The Code Jump feature of the CSDA Code Utility was an idea that I realized added an extreme simplification to part of the XBasic coding process.

So in addition to the Alpha Five Desktop windows restore, accurate timing, quick execute of scripts and functions, backup, development logging, Alpha Five window navigation, the XBasic-specific features of the CSDA Code Utility now include
      • 1 click Code Jump
      • Variable Dimensioning support
      • 1 click Comment out all debug lines of current code editor tab
      • 1 click Delete all debug lines of current code editor tab
      • 1 click Add/Remove Debug lines into current code editor tab at cursor line or around selected text
      • 1 click (up to 4 clicks) intelligent insert and clear debug lines for main script or function of current code editor tab
      But I realize it's very hard to appreciate Code Jump or many other features of the CSDA Code Utility until you use them.

It was written to save me time (which according to a T shirt of mine has a picture of Einstein proving that Time really does = Money!), and hopefully does for others. If you are using Alpha Five, you probably are using it because of either ease of use and/or to save development time. Hopefully, with the CSDA Code Utility I've made both better!

The CSDA Code Utility is written as a user extensible utility, that anyone can add new "widgets" to, customize the buttons (and "skin" to some degree) to their liking and usage. So it already includes automatically configuring buttons for the various AIMS utilities (of which I really like the group formatter - though others swear by the AIMS App Analyzer) and Partec's A5DOC. All of these utilities improve Alpha Five productivity.

Code Jump was just another widget, but an extremely important one from a time savings perspective.

What is Code Jump
      Basically, for those reading, when using the code editor with XBasic, it constantly reads the word at the current cursor position as you move around, and presents a list of all objects in the Control Panel (like tables, sets, forms, browses, other layouts, operations, global functions and global scripts with the identical name, and presents you a list that you can just click on to immediately jump to, or if not open, then open up in design mode.

So instead of doing:
      1. Go to the Control Panel
      2. Change the Control Panel tab to object type
      3. Scroll down
      4. Find the entry
      5. Select it
      6. Click design
      Now you just click once!

History
      (Only for those that care :))
      I was looking at another consultant's code last week and I had no idea where things were. So there would be an event on a form, that just ran a global script (getting all your code out of the form allows reuse is a real good idea - although a function call is better!). So then it would be required to open up that code. Then that code opened up a browse, so we needed to look at that, and then onto another one to follow the code, when an epiphany hit me. Why not just jump or open to the next object's name (kind of like a code editor hyperlink!).

And I knew it could be done, as I had already laid the groundwork. About 3 weeks ago I added the Var Dimensioning feature which allowed dynamic grabbing of the current word under the cursor and displayed all of the "dim" locations in the code. I knew at that time the ability to grab text under the code editor's cursor was going to lead to other good things, but I didn't expect some as useful as Code Jump!
      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

New features in the utility are really great and do they save time
        D

Comment

I have to agree with what the other's have said. The features in Ira's CSDA Code Utility are a HUGE addition to anyone's programming toolbox.

If you couple all of the features in the utility that Ira provides with the ability to add your own custom buttons and the predefined buttons Ira includes to run Cal Locklin's utilities and A5Doc - it really makes the the CSDA utility a superb tool. It has become kind of the central control point for me while developing in Alpha.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff & Dick,

Thanks for your comments.

I wanted to point out a little Code Jump (and Var Dimensioning) tip. The windows are sizeable, so you can reduce it up or down in size as needed, and the size and position are remembered for the next use.

Now, back to the next feature update........:)
            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

....which is now the dialog box can be undocked in Version 8. Version 7 can be undocked, but the dock can't be moved to vertical :(. Version 6 can't be undocked but can be floating.
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

I just added some enhancements to version 2.66 of the CSDA Code Utility's Code Jump that you should like.

Code Jump previously acted similar to a web page link to control panel items of the same name as the word at the cursor on the code editor tab. Now you can have the object name be
                • Where you have a cursor on text in the code editor tab
                • The selected text in the code editor tab (so it doesn't get confused about what the current desired word is)
                • Manually typed in the code object name field of the dialog box
                • Drop down of the code object name field which is populated with the previous find values from the Search/Replace box
                In addition to displaying matching Control Panel objects or index names, the new feature also displays all lines of the current code editor tab (including Action Script's underlying XBasic code) that match. In addition it shows you the beginning and end of each internal function's code and the current line.

Pressing on any line or object jumps to that line or object, or opens it in design mode if not already open

If you have it open and just type into the code object name field, it will find control panel objects and lines with that name in it. It essentially acts as a dynamic find.

Add on top of that a GoBack button that takes you back to code lines you visited via Code Jump, and a Global Search and a Find/Replace box that automatically has the find box filled in with the current object and you have a great time saver!
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Hi Ira

I really appeciate that you keep a strict watch on "our" CSDA-utility. But why do you have to spend that many hours that we save?

Ton
                  Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time

Comment

Working...
                  X