Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is Alpha 5 right for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Alpha 5 right for me?

Alright, so let me explain how I got here.

We're a small company in a small office with a small budget. Did I mention we're small? Anyway, we have been wanting to transition our company databases (largest has 30,000 records, smallest around 1,000 records) to a web browser-based solution for some time, but have been unable to because we're small and don't have resident programmers to build our custom web interface for our database. We're used to using Filemaker Pro and we'd like to maintain the same ease of use for the end-users. We like web-based for the common reasons, namely, platform independent, access from anywhere, and no software licensing fees (sorta).

Remember that I said our budget was small? That means we can't afford to pay monthly hosting charges to host our databases somewhere. We don't even upgrade our Desktop software because if it ain't broke... So, we are looking for a DIY solution that has a quick learning curve and relatively low level of tech expertise required and little to no maintenance costs other than man-hours to perform occasional updates or upgrades. Something like Wordpress but for custom databases implementation.

I've looked around the web for solutions and mostly what I have found are either cost-prohibitive hosting solutions, cheap hosting solutions that are going out of business, free hosting solutions that are too limited in capability, broken or abandoned open source projects that don't seem very promising, suggestions to alter a stock CMS (like Drupal, which feels a little like trying to make a screwdriver do a hammer's job, or better converting a screwdriver INTO a hammer to get the job done), and then there's Alpha 5.

Alpha 5 is an intriguing idea, and it sounds promising in terms of what we're trying to do. But I do have some concerns.

1. I'm afraid that we're using a swiss army knife to spread butter on bread. What we're trying to achieve is very low tech. No iPhone or Android implementation, no shopping cart, no chat or banner ads. Just data basics, like you would get when you open up Filemaker Pro...search, display, print, export records, etc. Isn't there something even simpler than Alpha 5 for what I'm going for?

2. Standards and options. Now I may be displaying my ignorance here, but the sales rep I spoke with said that these apps only run on IIS servers and that they use XBasic predominently. Is this a choice, preference, or what? All of a sudden I feel restricted. I'd like the option to export my apps in PHP and run on a Linux box w/ Apache using MySQL. It's the de facto web standard. I presume it would be a lot easier to find support with PHP than XBasic and easier to find cheap hosting on Linux boxes than Windows boxes. In any case, I like options and I dislike proprietary oriented solutions less and less each minute.

3. Costs. Besides the upfront cost of the license, I'm guessing we'll need to pay for "mentoring" which could quickly add up. In fact, in the end, it might be cheaper to contract a PHP programmer to write a custom front end to a MySQL database. Even though the learning curve is relatively small from general consensus, there seems to be a definite learning curve for novices.

So, in conclusion, I'd like to drink this cool-aid, but I'm just not on board yet. I'm on the fence. I'm feeling like we're in an age where there should be a cheap solution for our simple needs. Ideas?

Re: Is Alpha 5 right for me?

You can do everything on the cheap if you:

- use this message board as your mentor
    - host the application yourself, in your office on a spare Windows machine.
    - don't hire anyone to help you
    - call Alpha directly and see if you can get a deal on the software cost - you need Developer and Web Application Server

Using that model, should cost you $1000 to get started and zero monthly cost, except your valuable time.

Having said that, Alpha does not match your likes. It is proprietary, not platform independent, not PHP/Linux.

Good mentoring or programming will cost at least $100/hour and there are a lot of "mentors/developers" that don't know their stuff so you have to evaluate and compare.

Note:
    Alpha Five does NOT run on IIS currently. It has its own web server, IIS is not involved.
    From a software developer's perspective, there is no such thing as a simple application. All applications become complex as soon as Developer and Client start their conversation. Approaching as if the application is or will be simple normally ends up in disaster.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

In addition to the wizened advice Steve gave you, there is a steep learning curve. I don't think there is anyway around that. From what I've seen, FM-Pro is very slick, while Alpha is very powerful. Different paradigms, different approach.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

To be clear, I don't mind a proprietary tool, so long as I'm not forced to stick with that tool going forward. Usually this revolves around file formats. Like Photoshop, it would be much better to have a working document format that could be used with a different image editing tool. I like standards. Also, I don't expect everything to be free. But, I'm just surprised there isn't an open-source database app for web, comparable to something like Drupal or Wordpress. Maybe I'll end up customizing a Drupal install to handle some special data.

But what I'm hearing that there is no easy or cheap solution to getting your data online in a browsable, searchable, editable situation comparable to a desktop database app, including Alpha 5.

That really sucks. And probably means we'll be tied to desktop apps for some time to come.

Thanks for the input...

Comment

Deck is stacked against you from the start with a short term forum username like "onthefence".
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

???

So you're not allowed to dip your toes in the water before jumping in? If the waters aren't friendly, that informs me of which way to lean...

Comment

Originally posted by onthefence View Post
              ???

So you're not allowed to dip your toes in the water before jumping in? If the waters aren't friendly, that informs me of which way to lean...
              Man, that is such a ridiculous comment. I was being funny, hence the little smiley face. Even if I was being a jerk, which I was not, I don't represent everyone here. This is probably THE most friendly place to get good advice on the web. I will be happy to provide as much help as possible, just like dozens of others on this board.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

???

Yeah, you are. If you poke around a little you will find that this is one of the most supportive user forums out there. Also, Steve Wood is one of the best developers in Alpha-land and has given his time here and elsewhere to hundreds of users. Why don't you give the free 30-day Alpha trial a shot? And try not to be so thin-skinned. Almost everyone on this board is helpful.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Being a stranger to these parts, I guess I haven't learned the sense of humor yet.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth even downloading, installing, setting up, figuring it out...Everything takes valuable time as Steve pointed out.

And from the sounds of it, it's not the right fit for us. Unless, someone can convince me otherwise.

Comment

Alpha is a great program - very powerful and very flexible. Because there is so much to it, there is much to learn. If you don't have the time or the ambition to learn (and that is very understandable when you are running a business) it may be too much to bite off in the short term. I wish I could tell you just download the program, point and click and you're on your way, but it's not quite that easy. Unfortunately, I don't know of an easy off the shelf program to do what you want. Sounds like you have done some research yourself and come to the same conclusion. But one thing I can promise you, if you decide to take the leap, you will get lots of support from this message board.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Fair enough, thanks for the input.

Comment

OTF,

You haven't said what your current desktop program does. That might make a difference. If it is fully integrated or uses a propriatary database, then you would need to finish your app before you can really use it. If it uses a standard back end (you mentioned MySQL) then you may be able to start with one piece of your app in Alpha and move through the conversion one step at a time as you have time. I have a client who did that starting from a "Business Visions" program. Took him a year to completely replace BV with an Alpha Web App, but in the end he is getting great benefits from it. As he got one part done, he would drop that function in BV and use it in Alpha.

Like you, he didn't know Xbasic and didn't have a programming background when he started, so he did the easy bits first, then the harder stuff as his knowledge increased. He decided to get some mentoring as a way to speed up the process, but you can make that choice as you go along.

With Version 10.5 nearing replacement with V11, this is a great time to buy Alpha and get your feet wet at low cost. For a small company, 10.5 could last you a long time. There are still some users on this board that are still using V5.
                        Pat Bremkamp
                        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

We use Filemaker Pro. It's a very graphically oriented database program for Desktops that's been around since the early 80s. It is proprietary, which is why I hate it. This is why I'm reluctant to jump to another proprietary software. The term app or software can mean a lot of things I realize. So, I'm trying to be clear in saying that I am shooting for a similar experience to what users get with Filemaker Pro. The backend can be more technically advanced, but the frontend has to be super simple to find data, create records, export or print records, etc. That is what we use Filemaker Pro for. We don't use a lot of the fancier functions that it has, like emailing or generating statistical reports. That's why we've seen no need to upgrade from our version from like 7 years ago. Very basic needs.

Of course Alpha doesn't need my advice, but I think they could attract a much larger user base if they could make the final apps run on standard, prevalent web servers, and use PHP. I know PHP isn't a favorite of many, but it's such a staple for the web.

Comment

I'm actually kinda looking for something functionally like phpMyAdmin, but with a simpler user interface that looks less daunting and has permissions so that someone can't drop a table with an accidental click. End-user technical knowledge is low in our case.

Comment

We use Filemaker Pro.

Of course Alpha doesn't need my advice, but I think they could attract a much larger user base if they could make the final apps run on standard, prevalent web servers, and use PHP. I know PHP isn't a favorite of many, but it's such a staple for the web.
                              Well Filemaker makes servers too. Advanced just cost about 3000 dollars per server. And they have also php plugin. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X