Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

What should I be looking for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I be looking for?

I noticed while at work today that I could not access any of my Alpha webpages. When I got home did I have a BIG SURPRISE. Something got into the system, changed all the User Account Passwords (deleted my account) and added about 5 new accounts. One was asp.net, another was Temp and another had something to do with sql. I was able to get in via the Safe Mode using the Admin account. I tried to delete the UNWANTED accounts under computer mgmt but they are still there when I reboot.

Along with the Account Settings ALL of my history for passwords etc are gone. In addition, nearly 2/3's of my icons on the start up page are gone. I am using Win XP pro. I can start programs from the Programs option but the system is acting like I just loaded the programs and is asking for re-activation. Luckly enough the Alpha Server is working.

Any idea of what happened and what I should be looking for? I am using Microsoft Essentials for the virus detection.

Thanks
    Phil

Re: What should I be looking for?

That sounds nasty. Here is a suggestion:
    1. Create a new user admin account - don't log into it!
    2. Shut the machine down completely - don't reboot.
    3. Wait a minute.
    4. Start up and access the new account - don't open the old account.
    5. Run MSSE's - run a full system scan.
    6. Download Malware Bytes free version.
    7. Run a full system scan w MB's.

Hopefully this will detect/eliminate virus/malware.

Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thank you Peter...last night I went into Computer Management and deleted the Users that I did NOT create...everything was working fine. Got up this morning and BINGO, 5 new User Accounts were created....I will definitely try your suggestions...

Comment

Peter, I don't know what happened but I cannot find this thread on the message board. I am sending this via the response from your post.

Anyway, just to keep you informed, I downloaded the Malware software you suggested and loaded it on a couple of computers.

1. Work computer - while running the software I received a "read drive error" not able to get this computer up and running
        2. The original computer that I created the post for. While running full scan the system stopped and went back to the login screen and the Admin User Account was gone and the only User was "ichromepress" Of course I do NOT know the password therefore I am locked out of my system.

the login window appears even with Safe Mode so I am dead in the water....other than reloading windows, do you have any suggestions? Right I have 4 computers down for one reason or another. Don't ask me what I think of computers....

Comment

I don't know, Phil. This sounds like something I have never seen before. Microsoft now has a very responsive and knowledgeable security help phone number - at least that's been my experience. You should be able to find the # somewhere on the MSSE's site.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rolf View Post
            other than reloading windows, do you have any suggestions? Right I have 4 computers down for one reason or another.
            Reloading windows using known to be clean software installation disks is the recommended method in your situation.

How I would handle this is to shut the computer down.

Remove the harddrive from the case and install it into another computer that is working and clean of malware/viruses.

Backup the hard drive from the bad computer, I am assuming you have a routine backup procedure in place and thus have previous backups as well.

Once the backup is complete, format the hard drive. Remove it from the temp computer, and re-install it in the original computer.

Install Windows, Install your preferred anti-virus software. Update the anti-virus software, update windows. Schedule windows to routinely check for new updates and download them.

Re-install applications; update applications as they are installed.

Run anti-virus scan on your backup file (depending on back up type this may not be effective and can be skipped)

Restore only the needed data.

Once you are back up and running on the computer and have all your data restored ( you are running anti-virus scans on the data as its being restored, right?), Delete all of the old backup as they will have rements of the infection.

Use secure passwords on all of your accounts, do not re-use passwords across multiple systems. Use a password manager to help you remember the passwords.
            Andrew

Comment

That's a plan that I was considering. I have a USB interface where I can attach to the bad drive, attach to a good computer via USB and I can download the files. The bad part about this is the reloading of all the software....what a PIA. But I have no choice...

Thanks

Comment

A Trojan is a blockade set up by the UAC ie Admin has no rights. Every time when attempting to access the system responds to the trojan. Malware does not help at this time also because the process is aborted. Not easy to solve, but with some patience it can be remedied. Therefore you need a recovery CD from an antivirus vendor. Start with a computer, disconnect everything including the Internet and your local network, follow the instructions provided. Scanning is a lengthy and difficult process, so be patient. After the first shit has been cleaned up try run Malware again without connection to the lan or internet. Possible option you have ti run the rescue disk twice before you have succes. Buy Malware Pro for all you workstations that gives realtime protection beside your aniti virus software.
                Link: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivir...cue-Disk.shtml
                Last edited by bea2701; 08-25-2011, 05:03 AM.

Comment

I work with Ghost images combined with Deep Freeze that basically freezes my C: drive give it a try! http://www.faronics.com/en/DownloadE...e=1&code=JVPNC (don't forget to redirect your data folders to another partition or you will loose ALL your work upon reboot)
                  Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Things were not going well in the troubleshooting so I made the executive decision to format the drive and re-load windows. That is what I did and the system is now up and operational.

I want to thank everyone for their input on this...

PS I am going to be extra careful on the software that I download...

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rolf View Post
                      Things were not going well in the troubleshooting so I made the executive decision to format the drive and re-load windows. That is what I did and the system is now up and operational.

I want to thank everyone for their input on this...

PS I am going to be extra careful on the software that I download...

Good to hear that you've solved a lesson for the future. Another tip:
                      It's not just what you download from the Internet more machines you just hit from the outside Internet. Only if you have more than enough preventive measures you have any warranty. Advice from Frank [Clipper87] about Deep Freeze take this to heart.

Comment

Working...
                      X