Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

QuickBooks Invoice File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QuickBooks Invoice File

Does anyone know the Invoice file structure required for Exporting from Alpha to Quickbooks. The structure below, comma separated is the general layout, but I need the column headings.

!TRNS TRNSTYPE DATE ACCNT NAME AMOUNT
    !SPL TRNSTYPE DATE ACCNT NAME AMOUNT
    !ENDTRNS
    TRNS Invoice
    SPL Invoice
    SPL Invoice
    ENDTRNS
    Regards
    Ron

The reward for work well done is more work!

Re: QuickBooks Invoice File

Ron

You'll need to look at using QB IIF (old import technology that Intuit has deprecated) or using something like QODBC and writing to QB from Alpha using Alpha DAO to QODBC.

http://qodbc.com has all of the technical specifications and a support forum with examples.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I really want to keep it simple and output to an Excel file; this is not the problem. The problem is how should the spreadsheet be formatted and can you Import an Invoice file into QuickBooks? I have developed a superb ordering system for the client (modesty is just one of my failings), but he still has to enter the invoice details into Quickbooks. I have looked at the help file, within QuickBooks, but it does not mention Invoices.
      Regards
      Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Cooper View Post
        I really want to keep it simple and output to an Excel file; this is not the problem. The problem is how should the spreadsheet be formatted and can you Import an Invoice file into QuickBooks? I have developed a superb ordering system for the client (modesty is just one of my failings), but he still has to enter the invoice details into Quickbooks. I have looked at the help file, within QuickBooks, but it does not mention Invoices.
        QuickBooks provides an import for Customer, Items, & Vendors via Excel. Not Invoices. (or any other list or transaction type)
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

As Al says, you need to look at QODBC if you want to export any type of transaction data to Quickbooks.....

Comment

In agreement. QODBC is really your best option. However, if you go into the import wizard in Quickbooks and create a file as a sample, save it, you should see the column headings that are needed. I seem to remember that the actual field headers it looks for changes by the version.

Comment

jeremy, you are correct. One of the things I struggled with at first was that the detailed layouts and transaction requirements documented for QODBC are out of date. But if you create a sample import, the actual field headers are listed.
              You still need to "interpret" the QODBC Quickbooks layout docs to see what fields are mandatory in transferring data to Quickbooks, and sometimes you need to create separate transactions for some of the optional/new fields that did not exist when the QODBC docs were written. You also have to get used to the way you write transactions like invoices to QB, the inverse of what you might expect (you have to write the invoice lines before the header) and also the need to retrieve and use the quickbooks internal IDs for inventory items, customers, accounts etc when communicating updates with QB.
              Once you have got over the initial hurdles however, it all works very smoothly.

Comment

QODBC is the way to go. I use it to take ticket information from my MSP application and port into Quickbooks for smooth time/payroll/invoices. I don't have to "import" into quickbooks thus eliminating this human intervention.
                Creating Healthcare Work-Flow Solutions Since 2005

Comment

Thank you to everyone. My client has agreed to purchase, for me, QODBC. Another learning curve, but I really didn't want go sailing anyway!
                  Regards
                  Ron

Comment

The driver marry's the machine.
                    Creating Healthcare Work-Flow Solutions Since 2005

Comment

Ron

Did you ever get this to work? I tried some QODBC links but it seemed really slow. I ended up using a Excel plugin call IIF Create.

Thanks, Pat

Comment

Patrick

I chickened out and passed the project onto another developer, here in the UK. I thought I would take too long. The project is still work in progress, but the customers order system is now integrated with Quickbooks, using QODBC.
                        Regards
                        Ron

Comment

Originally posted by sicomputerguy View Post
                          Ron

Did you ever get this to work? I tried some QODBC links but it seemed really slow. I ended up using a Excel plugin call IIF Create.

Thanks, Pat
                          Performance of QODBC can be enhance greatly by retrieving only the records and fields that are needed.

So a select * from invoiceline gets all of the fields and records from the transaction table.

replacing * with the field names and adding a where clause makes it much faster.
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

For the same $200 you would have to pay for the QODBC driver, you can get 01 Transaction Pro Importer to do the same job with a lot less hassle and with a much lower learning curve.

Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Robin

Thank you for that, I will investigate.
                              Regards
                              Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X