Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

MS-SQL or MySQL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS-SQL or MySQL?

Wondering how many are using MS-SQL or MySQL and why did you make that decision?

Re: MS-SQL or MySQL?

I use both but if I had to choose one I'd go with MySQL. MySQL is robust, it has great tools, it works, and it's free. MSSQL is Microsoft and I haven't been happy with them since they released a deadly Access run-time and refused to fix it for six months. It cost developers quite a bit to roll back their systems. Couldn't even get an explanation from MS. I'd been working with Access as a front end since V1.0 but no more... that's how I found Alpha 5.

Comment

Betty:

I decided quite some time ago to use PostgreSQL instead on MS-SQL or MySQL. I wanted open source with the ability to distribute applications without any licensing costs (still required is some cases with MySQL). I preferred the transaction abilities in PostgreSQL and the replication abilities (beginning in version 9). My research showed that PostgreSQL had better data integrity, adherence to the SQL standards, better database security and database compression than MySQL. I am a strong believer in open source and would pick MySQL over MS-SQL for the applications which I write if I could not choose PostgreSQL.

Brad

Comment

I strongly dislike working in MS-SQL, even though I know others make it their preference. From my experience, MS-SQL overly complicates the process; example:

- you add an innocent field like Flag1, type smallint and later decide to change it to a field type BIT. But MS will have created a Dependancy on that field (even though it is not involved in any relationship) disallowing you to delete or modify its type. Now I am sure it does not do this without reason, but I can't figure it out. In order to change the field type you have to use MS-Studio (not Navicat) to remove the dependancy. But your whole database becomes full of these restricted fields making it difficult to move forward. Again, I am positive it is doing this for some good reason.

- Creating a remote connection between my local computer is much more complex for MS than for MY.

There are other reasons I find MS to be more difficult to work with than MY. But mostly you need a database you feel comfortable with or have previous experience. Each are a little different.
        I am sure a MS user will point out its benefits, I find it annoying and in my way compared to MySQL.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Coming from dbf, I was in the same dilemma a few weeks ago. I started with Mysql, played with for a while then decided to try MS SQL Express. First I had to download tons of updates to please SQL Express, then the installation was much more complicated, then felt my system got slower. Played with SQL Express for a while and missed the simplicity of Mysql. Uninstalled SQL Express, clean up my registry and went back to Mysql.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
            - you add an innocent field like Flag1, type smallint and later decide to change it to a field type BIT. But MS will have created a Dependancy on that field (even though it is not involved in any relationship) disallowing you to delete or modify its type. Now I am sure it does not do this without reason, but I can't figure it out. In order to change the field type you have to use MS-Studio (not Navicat) to remove the dependancy. But your whole database becomes full of these restricted fields making it difficult to move forward. Again, I am positive it is doing this for some good reason.
            Steve if I understand you correct you are not allowed to change datatype in a table. This is a new feature in SQL2008 and is enabled by default. If you want to disable this "protection" uncheck option Prevent saving changes that require table re-creation in MS SQL Server Management Studio under Tools | Options | Designers | Table and Database Designers.

Comment

Slavko, Thanks I will do that. I can't just say No to MS because some of my client demand it. But again a look at relative complexity over MYSQL - I use Navicat for both MYSQL and MSSQL. On the MYSQL side something like Permission is pretty straight forward. For MSSQL it is multiple layers thicker, more complex, more options. My real problem - I don't know it well enough to ensure I am doing it right. I don't want to screw up something as important as permissions, and MS is many times more complex than MYSQL, at least looking at Navicat's interface to it.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Fisher View Post
                Steve if I understand you correct you are not allowed to change datatype in a table. This is a new feature in SQL2008 and is enabled by default. If you want to disable this "protection" uncheck option Prevent saving changes that require table re-creation in MS SQL Server Management Studio under Tools | Options | Designers | Table and Database Designers.
                I got stumped by that one too until I did some digging on the internet. It's a good thing to know.
                We use MS SQL here because it is our facility standard. So, basically I use it because I have to. I personally have no issues with it and I'm comfortable using it.

Stephen
                Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

I agree with you. I on the other side trying to start using MySQL, but I'm afraid so I won't leave some hole open because i don't know it enough. The best is if you know both, because once will be more appropriate 1st and other time 2nd database.

But I have a Q regarding of a definition of word "free" in MySQL? Is that really free? I think I read somewhere that is free only for personal use. So how we can use it then for business purposes? MS SQL Express edition on the other side is really free, but it has limits on allowed memory and other things.

You also mention Navicat. I heard for that tool first here on that forum. Can you design database with Navicat like you can for example with TOAD Data Modeler by Quest?

Comment

Originally posted by Fisher View Post
                    You also mention Navicat. I heard about that tool first here on the forum. Can you design database with Navicat like you can for example with TOAD Data Modeler by Quest?
                    Yes, Navicat is very good for managing tables, view, procedures, queries, etc., and for keeping local and remote dbs in sync as needed, import/export and database documentation. It does have a data modeler as of latest version. I think their data modeler is lacking some features and I use ERD Concepts instead.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Can you create with Navicat scripts which will know how to modify existing tables in the database which already contain data? For example, like you mention before, you change data type on a field or add/change relations on live database.

Comment

Navicat is just a proxy for managing the database. You can create queries, procedures, functions -- anything else that the database allows. But you are really creating those directly on the database, using Navicat to make it a little easier. I say easier, but in the area of Triggers and Stored Procedures, Navicat doesn't do much to make it easier. You still have to know SQL syntax and structure.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I just downloaded a trial version and I will explore it. If I will have more Q's about it I will ask in a new thread.

Comment

MS SQL will have a bigger memory/CPU footprint than MySQL will, but it's very powerful, and can be used on huge databases.

MySQL can generally be free for the Community Edition and is very good. There is also MariaDB which is a drop in replacement for MySQL and also free.

Postgresql is free also.

There is HeidiSQL which is similar to Navicat and SQLYog but is free. I happen to use SQLYog because I wanted the Schema and data sync capabilities.

Triggers in MS SQL and MySQL are very powerful to be able to add business logic in the database instead of programming, but the syntax between MS SQL, MySQL and Postgresql for triggers is totally different, but very much worth learning.

Alan

Comment

Hello There,

I would rather use a none free products since I found out that for the long run it cost me more time to do certain things and get certain features. I am using heavily MS SQL and like the idea of a Clustered Index where I can move hundreds of GB in less than an hour. See my article in here: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-cons...ch-easier.aspx
                              I am using data modeling for the last 13 years that really creates all stored procedures locally and then I can update the server whenever I am ready. This is the tool at: http://www.xCase.com

Regards,

Doron

The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.
                              http://www.dfarber.com
                              Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X