Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sell this FileMaker developer on A5 :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sell this FileMaker developer on A5 :)

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
    They must have this buried, as I can't find it anywhere online. I do have a link to the web only version, but without the link I don't think I'd ever be able to find it...... These must be "products they have but don't want you to know about."

I don't see any "limited" options in the US online store: http://server2.alphasoftware.com/shop/
    (Checked the UK online shop, and don't see all the options there either.)
    FYI: Don't know if they were ever on the web site, but they were promo mailings sent out some months ago.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thanks Keith! :)

Hope to have that ready to go later today or tomorrow.

In the meantime, perhaps a quick overview of the app structure/build may be of interest too.

- built the MySQL database using phpMyAdmin locally using XAMPP

- built the front end with A5W v11 "from scratch", i.e, no "genies" :)

- luv the fact that I can connect to the DB directly using A5W and NOT have to use ODBC as I do with FM

I have built and installed well over 300 Joomla! and WordPress sites (with a few Prestashop, Drupal and eFront ones) but they were all on shared Linux hosting accounts, so my first experience with a Windows VPS was a bit of a learning curve too.

- not sure if this is (was) the proper way to do this, but to get MySQL on the VPS, I installed XAMPP, set up the DB and imported it from the local version (had do do some port "adjustments"); worked just fine :)

- published the site from A5W, moved it to the site root and, as Sam McLeod used to say, "there ya go"! :)

It may also be of note that I am doing all of this on a 15" MacBook Pro :) Using Win 7 HP running on VMware Fusion 4.
      Cheers!
      Lyle Chamney
      http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
      Websites rebuilt with WordPress
      http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
      Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
      http://snifflevalve.com
      WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

Great! But do you have a larger image of your avatar?

Looks like a sweet twin... And that the weather is calm at normal barometric pressure.
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
          FYI: Don't know if they were ever on the web site, but they were promo mailings sent out some months ago.
          Isn't that extremely odd though? Only folks who will ever see these limited versions are ones who already own the higher end licenses/products/subscriptions? If Alpha wanted to sell them, they'd make them visible to all and at least list these offerings in their online store. Something doesn't add up, and is definitely wrong here... (IMHO)

Fun product, but I now have "cold feet."
          Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
          It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
          RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Nope. I'm not on subscription nor do I have high end licenses Rob.
            Why not mail Alpha Sales?
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Here is the email that includes an offer for the 5 user license lower in the page.

Link

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                Nope. I'm not on subscription nor do I have high end licenses Rob.
                Why not mail Alpha Sales?
                Hi Ted;

I suspect they know what they're doing. (Honestly, how could they not know these offerings are missing from their online site/store?) I'd just be wasting their time. I do see all their other mailings, and understand their "tactfulness" regarding their marketing campaigns.

Besides, I honestly don't have any "beefs" with Alpha, other than their subscription plan being insanely priced for renewals.... If I can find someone who wants to purchase my extra v.11 copy of 1 a5 full developer, 1 web server, & 1 unlimited runtime to offset my subscription (OUCH) I'll be happy this "go-around." But after that I'm out of the subscription. $799US is top $ regarding value / sustainability IMHO.

Actually, I do have one "beef": It's the extra exclusives that you can only get with an active subscription. It's just wrong on many different levels. I think it's a "futile attempt" to sell subscriptions that will eventually "backfire" and with significant consequences. Besides, how do you get these extras in the first place? (I should know how, because I "purchased them", yet I don't have a clue.) Where are they located? I don't know. Do I have them? I don't know. How are these extras installed? I don't know. Should I have them? Yes, according to release notes. Is there value in this? I'm not seeing it. Actually it kind of irritates me wondering exactly who's even debugging these "exclusives?" ~CERTAINLY NOT ME!

PS: The only reason I know anything about these subscriber exclusive benefits is: They are "specified" in the pre-releases beta notes:

FP11_PROXSRCH - Grid - Using a Proximity Search Control to Search for Records within a Specified Radius of an Address, or Partial Address. (Feature Pack)
                M50 - Grid/Dialog - Action Javascript - Message Box Action - Advanced Options (Subscriber Benefit)
                D46 - Dialog - Geocoding Data when Records are Saved (Subscriber Benefit)
                D47 - Dialog - Server Side Events For CRUD Operations (Subscriber Benefit)
                D48 - Dialog - Using the 'Prevent Container Float' Property on a Free-form Container To Center or Right Justify Text
                D49 - Dialog - Displaying a Fade Out Message to Confirm that Record was Saved (Subscriber Benefit)
                D50 - Dialog - Adding a Row to a Repeating Section Programmatically By First Prompting for Data in a Pop-up Window
                D51 - Dialog - Prompting for Confirmation Before Submitting a Dialog
                FP11_DLGMAP1 - FP11_DLGMAP7 - Placing a Map Control on a Dialog Component (Feature Pack)
                Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

I have to agree with much of what you said Robert. I am on the subscription plan, but I doubt very much that I will be able to afford the renewal. That is not to say that I have not received excellent value from the subscription, but I am not a developer and so this becomes a very expensive tool for my day to day work. In addition, this is not something that my work will pay for no matter how beneficial the results...(gov't).. I understand the concept of the subscriber benefits, kind of like bonus code, but I do fear that it is somewhat divisive and confusing. I rely upon the vast experience of the people that are contributing to this board, to push me further ahead with Alpha than I would get on my own, so my vote would be to drop the benefits and keep the people

just some way too early morning ramblings.

Joe

Comment

@Al Buchholz

Here we are on the ramp at Humboldt, SK "International" circa 1982 :)

lyle_wzz1_resize.jpg
                    Cheers!
                    Lyle Chamney

Comment

Originally posted by 2ninerniner2 View Post
                      @Al Buchholz

Here we are on the ramp at Humboldt, SK "International" circa 1982 :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31825[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks. Much easier to see than the avatar....
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD
                      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I just purchased this past Friday, just the web developer package.. can't afford the subscription yet. But I'm starting to think I am regretting it. I am very concerned because I had read about using Apache as a front end, and WAS to run my apps, but apparently it was an old version of A5 that supported that. Now I have to either run 1 instance of the application server for each client I sell, or assign an individual IP address, which is NOT practical.

Not sure if they give refunds, but I'm thinking of exploring that route. Otherwise, I LOVE what I've accomplished since Friday.

Comment

Chris, I can't say for certain, as I myself am an "utter noob" to A5 Web, but I do believe that you may be misinformed. I have no idea where you get the notion that Apache has anything to do with it :)

I too have recently purchased the "bundle" ... A5 Dev and A5 WAS.

1) Set up a "playing around and learning" account with Zebrahost
                          2) Set up a "real" account on a Windows VPS at GoDaddy

On both, this is what I have done to test the waters:

- my DBs are all MySQL that I set up using phpMySQL locally (using XAMPP)
                          - whipped up my sample A5 web apps and published them
                          - they end up in the "root" of the hosting account, but each in their own, separate folder:
                          --- e.g.: c\a5webroot\customer1 ... c:\a5webroot\customer2 ... etc.
                          - from what I have gathered by setting up and installing well over 300 Joomla! and WordPress sites (in a similar environment), all one needs to do is to create a DNS entry that points www.customer1.com to the c\a5webroot\customer1 folder, www.customer2.com to the c\a5webroot\customer2 folder, etc.

This is how it works with a hosting account which allows multiple domains. I have a Hostgator Linux account that has over 20 unique domains set up in this very fashion. So unless I am missing something in the translation to A5, I do believe that this is also how it works with A5 hosting account (either "managed" as Zebrahost is, or "on your own" as the GD VPS is).

Any and everyone please chime in here to let me know if I am barking up the right tree with this, but from my very limited testing so far, this is how it appears to work. That is to say, one instance of WAS will handle as many "accounts" as the hosting environment can handle.
                          Cheers!
                          Lyle Chamney

Comment

I should also add, that even if one has to provide a licence for WAS for each client (500 bux) and say, a 60 bux-a-month hosting plan ... please let me know where one can find anything even close to the functionality this meager investment will provide ... via ANY browser on ANY platform :) (well, there ARE some issues with some, but you get my drift :) ) ... they work with IE and that's "all that matters"! LOL :)
                            Cheers!
                            Lyle Chamney

Comment

Lyle, I currently run several linux VPS' with Apache/MySQL/Joomla, etc. And WAS runs on a separate port, and there used to be a way of having Apache answer on port 80, and forward application requests to WAS on another port, but that is not possible any longer. The WAS does not handle virtual domains. An answer I got during the night in another thread about this is that many experts have been trying to accomplish this, and it does not work. Period.

Comment

Regarding:
                                Originally Posted by bobalston
                                OK. I'll bite. where do I find Steve Workings "recorded webinars"?

bob
                                Hi Bob;

I know they come with the subscription plan, but they also must be available from Alpha.... X-basic 101, and Advanced Desktop were both recorded Feb. 2011. Both are invaluable in terms of learning. (James Talbott and Steve Workings were the two instructors.) IMHO, they are 10x the coverage of the Total Training videos.... Many tricks & how to's in both. The X-basic 101 video really sheds light on how things can be accomplished.... Warning though, there are numerous videos, each 3 hours long. When watching, I selected the WMF format, as you can easily play them at 1.4x speed....... The files you are looking for are AdvDesk.zip & Xbasic101.zip. (AdvDesk is ~.8gigs, and Xbasic101 is about 1/2gig.)

The videos were made with version 10.x, but are still essentially 100% relevant for v.11.....

Anyone know where/how I can get a copy/access to these videos? I already have the Total Training video set which are excellent.

bob
                                Bob Alston
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm
                                Alpha five v11 Tips

Comment

Working...
                                X