Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Future of Alpha Five Desktop on Mysql or Sql server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future of Alpha Five Desktop on Mysql or Sql server

Being a new user of Alpha five, We have appreciated its capabilities when it comes to desktop apps using its native dbf, Just about a while ago, a friend told me that he found out the new release of Filemaker Ver.12, he tried and saw that it is faster in accessing a mysql server, Although dbf's of Alpha five can be quite good enough and in desktop apps, would'nt it be nice to be also good in SQL or Mysql on the Desktop? Some users including me have tested to access a mysql database and is slow on desktop. Applications nowadays are gradually moving from desktop to web, but in some parts of this world, there are still more who prefers to use desktop apps for it's speed compared to webapps,and in some parts Internet access is quite slow and unknown.We noticed that alpha five creators are hard at work in improving alpha five's capabilities on the Web part. Is there a chance for alpha five creators to speed up the accessing of sql server or mysql and other backends on the desktop?Thanks!

Re: Future of ALpha Five Desktop on Mysql or Sql server

Hi Jetson,

Web apps can act like intranet applications, on local machine or local lan. So don't need then internet at all. And are very fast also on mysql. Imho i think you should investigate the features you really need for your desktop app, and if it can be build in web, choose web. Until now i have encountered only one major part where desktop version offers more functionality than webapplication: documentmanagement and integration with MS word (because of direct access to file system which is available for desktop apps).
    Ger Kurvers
    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

If the connections and data access (when properly implemented) are as slow as you say (over a lan?).... Then Alpha will have no choice but to fix performance issues on the desktop side..... "No matter how you slice it": IMHO, the desktop side is the foundation for the web side. ~Regardless, I was under the understanding that the slow performance was relevant to .mdb files, and not necessarily SQL/mySQL over a lan......

That being said, I'd love to see some real world SQL performance comparisons between the two products in the scenario you are depicting. From what I know, Filemaker is a much more "limited application production environment" and I question whether it is actually any faster (all things being equal)......
      Last edited by SNusa; 04-10-2012, 09:29 AM.
      Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
      It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
      RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Originally posted by JetLi View Post
        ...a friend told me that he found out the new release of Filemaker Ver.12, he tried and saw that it is faster in accessing a mysql server,
        Check it: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...oper-on-A5-%29

Originally posted by cptutrecht View Post
        Web apps can act like intranet applications, on local machine or local lan. So don't need then internet at all. And are very fast also on mysql.
        Exactly

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
        IMHO, the desktop side is the foundation for the web side.
        I don't see that at all?
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
          I don't see that at all?
          Re: "Desktop being the foundation"

I meant this in the sense that X-basic is the core of it all, including much of a5 internal code itself.... (So the underlying X-basic language scripting technology (with regards to SQL access) presumably has to work properly at the desktop level first to even think about being "efficient" on the web side.)

The one question remaining is: What's up with .mdb speed/lack thereof? (I've never heard much of anything positive about this connection capability.)
          It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
          RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Re: Future of Alpha Five Desktop on Mysql or Sql server

mdb's are one big pile of puppy pooh, while Alpha DBF's and SQL are descrete entities I believe.
            Been wrong once (only) before.
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
              mdb's are one big pile of puppy pooh, while Alpha DBF's and SQL are descrete entities I believe.
              Been wrong once (only) before.
              I tend to agree. However, about a decade ago I built a web app (using Drumbeat 2000) which connected to huge .mdb's (access 2000 databases vial ole DNS-less connections) with literally hundreds of thousands of records, (read only). It was fast, and had no issues other than possible scaling to many concurrent connections. I later ported it to SQL..... Saw no noticeable difference with only a few concurrent connections!

Comment

Making a desktop applicatioin using db works great. Changing a desktop to mysql is not so great. I do not think Alpha cares about the desktop anymore and is not interested to get it to work easly with a sql database without going thru Active link tables. They want you to do a web application. In the past (V7 &V8) if you found a bug in the desktop it was fixed in a heartbeat, now you may never get a fix or responce.

Comment

Web apps can act like intranet applications, on local machine or local lan
                  How would you handle sending out your desktop apps at say 2-100 a week? Would it get very expensive in cost to have to supply a web server each time? What about the logistics(sql servers, etc)?

Desktop is going to be around for a while and there are other ways to get it done(if not alpha). desktop will eventuallyl die as we know it, but other alternatives will be forthcoming to make it where we can continue to supply small companies and individuals with the tools to do their data entry and reports.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                    How would you handle sending out your desktop apps at say 2-100 a week? Would it get very expensive in cost to have to supply a web server each time? What about the logistics(sql servers, etc)?
                    I agree that in case of low priced apps without maintenance contract there is a big problem.
                    - although: at these volumes the appserver will cost no more than 85$ a piece, probably less. Just call sales :-)
                    - initial installation done at customers side will take easily 3 hours, and performing an upgrade you have to charge at least 1/2 hour (see it as a is a part of the revenue for your app :-)
                    - require from customers remote access to perform these installations or upgrades.

If your app aims at a market that cannot bear such a pricetag, than Alpha Web isn't a right choice i think. Unless multitenant applications hosted by yourself is acceptable for your customers . But that was clearly stated out of discussion at the beginning of this thread.
                    Ger Kurvers
                    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
                    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

I am sure Microsoft will do all it can to keep "desktop" alive so I don't see any either or situation here. Sooner or later the desktop apps and web apps are the same thing. They use same resources and they offer same resources. Windows 8 is the first step. David did say "desktop will eventually die as we know it". I think you can't say it better. The old desktop is soon gone.

Comment

Where did this come from?
                        - initial installation done at customers side will take easily 3 hours, and performing an upgrade you have to charge at least 1/2 hour (see it as a is a part of the revenue for your app :-)
                        - require from customers remote access to perform these installations or upgrades.
                        I don't do either of these. My installs can easily be accomplished by a novice pc user without my being there or on line with them.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                          Where did this come from?

I don't do either of these. My installs can easily be accomplished by a novice pc user without my being there or on line with them.
                          Comes from my own experience the last 1,5 year.

Initial installation also means in our case determining with system manager what type of hardware is involved,choosing and installing correct flavour of mysql database with proper settings and some dba administration tools, WAS settings, email settings, mapping to document storage and of course testing whether all planned access is available and works properly.

Updates are always tricky because we distribute 1 application to a number of customers. You have to check and keep WAS versions in sync with that of the update (and we get a lot of them you know). Further we need to keep security settings in sync and not ruin the users and their authorization at a customers side.
                          And don't forget the update of the mysql database (but indeed that can be done by a user, but often after reading instructions, we are asked to perform that for them).

Would love to learn how you organised that into a fool proof procedure for novice users :-)
                          Ger Kurvers

Comment

Working...
                          X