Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha5 Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha5 Pricing

HI All,

Can you help me on the pricing of Alpha5 license please?

I see in their site that there is a bundle for USD 1800 that includes the
    Developer, Application Server and Runtime license.
    Is this a one-time license fee?

However, I also see an annual subscription fee of USD 1699 ... do you know
    what this is for? Is it mandatory? Do I lose my licenses if I do not subscribe to the annual subscription fee?

Does everybody who uses Alpha5 pay for the license and and pay the recurring annual subscription fee?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Alpha5 Pricing

Originally posted by winapps2 View Post
    HI All,

Can you help me on the pricing of Alpha5 license please?

I see in their site that there is a bundle for USD 1800 that includes the Developer, Application Server and Runtime license. Is this a one-time license fee?
    Yes/No. It is a one time fee if that is all you buy and do not purchase any new versions, etc.

However, I also see an annual subscription fee of USD 1699 ... do you know what this is for? Is it mandatory? Do I lose my licenses if I do not subscribe to the annual subscription fee?
    You will not lose your license for what you purchase. It is my understanding the $1,699 subscription fee is for those who purchased the first subscription which expires about mid October. Those who did not purchase the subscription will be paying the full subscription price. That, however, raises a number of questions such as:

1. Can the current subscription be purchased?
    2. If so, at what price? Is it pro-rated for the balance of the year?
    3. If the current subscription can be purchased, can the next year or 2 be purchased at the current offer? I would presume so.

The last promotion, which ends today, includes the wording:

Moving forward, the only way for you to get the latest versions, ongoing updates, new features, breakthrough capabilities and related materials for Alpha Five is through the Alpha Five Subscription.

Moving Forward? What does that mean? The subscription will be the only method to purchase A5? It would be very helpful to ALL if Alpha would release a complete pricing schedule along with an explanation of what Moving Forward means.

Does everybody who uses Alpha5 pay for the license and and pay the recurring annual subscription fee?

Thanks in advance.
    That depends on how you but A5. I understand A5 can be bought without the subscription plan which is not a necessary purchase. However, if you want all that A5 has to offer, the subscription plan is the way to go as it includes everything, to a certain extent. If you deploy an app via the web, I think Web licenses will be needed for the other machines. Desktop RunTime license will not be needed for the other machines as the app will run on your version of the RunTime.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Moving forward, the only way for you to get the latest versions, ongoing updates, new features, breakthrough capabilities and related materials for Alpha Five is through the Alpha Five Subscription.
      If this is their wording and attitude, there would be a serious problem! I am sure that is not what they meant.

You can by the developer edition to make your applications. If you do desktop, you will need the runtime. If you do web apps, you will need the was. If you are doing these and want all the packages(or a few), you may be better off with the subscription.

Either way, call sales and negotiate. I do not know if they are flexible or not, but worth a try.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

This new feature pack is just one example of the ongoing updates, new features and breakthrough capabilities that we are delivering to our customers and which will only be available as part of the Alpha Five Subscription moving forward.
        Copied and pasted directly from the latest "squeeze page" email .
        Last edited by 2ninerniner2; 07-20-2012, 03:10 AM.
        Cheers!
        Lyle Chamney
        http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
        Websites rebuilt with WordPress
        http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
        Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
        http://snifflevalve.com
        WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

It's obvious Alpha has a marketing plan but has chosen not to publish it. Instead, the same offer for the subscription keeps coming, each with a slightly different twist to it. What does this mean? Only Alpha knows for sure. We can only speculate. I don't particularly care for that style of marketing but, here's my speculation.

There will be three (3) major areas of A5, 1) Desktop, 2) Web and 3) Mobile and each could be purchased separately. However, if one wants to work in more than one, then the subscription would be the way to go. Right now, nearly all, if not all, of the application packs are for the Web so one could argue the Desktop users who purchased the subscription are sucking air. I would argue, however, that is not true simply because the grids, charts, dialogs, etc., can be used on the desktop simply by calling them with a button on a form or, open a form and using a super control, embed the component on the form. I see that as a major step forward for the desktop users and that alone, may well be worth the subscription price if all one does is develop on the desktop. The really cool thing about that is if one does expand to the Web or Mobile side, all those components are usable and ready to go.

Yup, that's a good reason to look at Access 13, Filemaker or other products. NOT!!!

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
            If this is their wording and attitude, there would be a serious problem! I am sure that is not what they meant.

That, is their wording! Take it to the bank!!

You can by the developer edition to make your applications. If you do desktop, you will need the runtime.
            RunTime is only needed if you want to distribute an app and then only if the customer doesn't want to invest in A5. I suspect one could purchase just the RunTime version and the purchase an app from a developer as well.

Either way, call sales and negotiate. I do not know if they are flexible or not, but worth a try.
            There is no negotiating on the packages or prices. The prices and offers are what they are. Unfortunately, we don;t know what they are or will be.

Comment

RunTime is only needed if you want to distribute an app and then only if the customer doesn't want to invest in A5. I suspect one could purchase just the RunTime version and the purchase an app from a developer as well.
              The easiest way is to bill the client for the application AND a full Alpha Dev kit. That is what I try and do as it makes it sooooo much easier if I'm on site and need to change something quickly.
              If the client invests in Alpha, and they need more than 2 concurrent seats, then they will stiil need the RT versions, wont they?
              See our Hybrid Option here;
              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

If the client invests in Alpha, and they need more than 2 concurrent seats, then they will stiil need the RT versions, wont they?
                Yes, unless they wamt to buy another dev package.

I never, ever bring that they can purchase anything from alpha. I prefer to be the supplier of anything they really need. Think this way. You bought the developer and then you bought runtime. Why would the client need to buy anything but your app which you are going to supply the runtime for? If you supply and app and the client purchases developer, someone will find a way to try to use it. BET ON IT! They will invariably break your app, and it is your fault.

Runtime is really the dev with some of the stuff shut off.

KISS KISS KISS Keep I Simple for Supid/Safety. OR Keep It Simple Stupid? Any way you want it.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

The easiest way is to bill the client
                  I didn't say that they should buy it, Dave. I also meant that the cost if the RT can be built into the project if there is enough fat in it.
                  A Run Time build will be necessary for any more than 2 seats with a dev kit, and for any seats without the dev kit on the client site.

I still maintain having a dev kit on site is the easiest way to maintain a bespoke application, however if the app is generic then RT is sufficient.
                  Some larger apps are better off being handed over for maintenance by the IT team in a company after the first year as the support retainer soon gets eaten up.

Comment

Most of my apps are still on my computer. If the client needs an update/or, I do it on their app that's on file here and then build an install that Copies their files to a safe place and replaces the needed files. If a db is changed it is appended from the backup they have on their system automatically. They still do not need a dev app. I can think of NO scenario where a dev app is needed on a clien't computer unless one hires out to use the client's copy of a5 dev. There is always another way to do that.
                    Last edited by DaveM; 07-21-2012, 04:36 PM.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I can think of NO scenario where a dev app is needed on a clien't computer
                      OK. Here's one.
                      I'm on site 200 miles away from my office.
                      I have no laptop as I am not allowed to take it into a restricted area.
                      I am not allowed to connect to my office server as the VPN is locked down tight.
                      The client wants another report urgently, and this will form the basis of a new and profitable piece of work.
                      It's a "Show me" situation.

Unlike the USA, being a small(ish) island, we often work on client sites so implementation is easier in person. This brings it's own problems but also additional paid work.
                      Not all of my stuff is "shrink wrapped" and while I agree that there are good reasons for not letting the client loose on a system, having a dev kit on the bespoke site works for me Dave.

Comment

Download Alpha from internet, do the job and delete it.

I always carry a thumb drive with alpha dev. It is a little clunky using it this way, but??? I usually have a CD with me that has alpha dev on it.

You would not wish to register them and as long as they don't have dev, the trial will work.

Just because I have some shrink wrapped does not mean I do not ever do onsight. I have definitely done onsight before.

If there is a dev site on the visited computer, then your job is easy. You don't have to worry about the version of alpha or the updates to make it all work right with whatever runtime version they have.

When I did a lot of it, I have v4, v5. v6. v7 with all updates on a thumb drive. I hardly used v8 or v9. I am using v10 and it is also on my thumb drive with all updates.
                        Last edited by DaveM; 07-22-2012, 04:07 PM.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I have no laptop as I am not allowed to take it into a restricted area. This also means no thumb drives or CD's. Real life scenario Dave
                          I am not allowed to connect to my office server as the VPN is locked down tight. That means no downloads of any description. It's bit unusual, but the site really is ultra secure and the installation process with all the checks and validations for security conformity took 4 weeks.
                          Under normal circumstances I use a small portable SSD with all the bits I need on it as well as the laptop for any immediate dev work.
                          Not arguing with your logic, it's just not a perfect world out there and adaptation is the key to survival.
                          If you want to work with companies like BT and Gvmt., you need to abide by their rules.

Comment

I do understand your delimma.

Then the BT and Gvmt(whatever they are) would need to purchase their own copy of alpha 5. I guess that is the cost of their security system.

First off, I have never solicited Gvt work of any kind. I have been in a corporation that had a over exuberant security setup. It took a bit of work to open it up, but I passed the security checks and was able to do what I needed. I still did not do work on sight. The reason was, they did not want to pay for the 12 hours of travel time for me to get there and back. I have their complete application on my computer and if they want a report, I send them an update that installs. Their IT dept always checks it for virus and other leaks. There is encryption and redirects built into the app. all users have to sign in with passwords.

This is much faster, less expensive and more secure for them than someone going to their facility. It was partially sold when I explained to their board that a really good programmer working on their server could potentially get into their data.

Remember, I don't ever work with their data at all. This was also a big selling point.

At this point in time, I rarely do anything to their app. Just on occasion, they call for a small tweak.

Remember, I use astrum and When I send an update, it saves their current app to a backup folder and then installs the new/revised app. Makes me think I should sell them an upgrade. Maybe when/if I do v11? Or maybe wakanda(they would like to use sql) as soon as mysql is solid.
                            Last edited by DaveM; 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                            X