Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Working on 2 computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on 2 computers

This is stuff I should probably know by now, and embarrassed to ask, but I have really only been developing on one computer, and am now going to be working on 2, back and forth.

Unfortunately I don't know what steps to take to import the project into Alpha. In the past I have downloaded example projects, and have only parts of the project imported for some reason. So what steps are there to properly import a project into Alpha? (Using V11)

Re: Working on 2 computers

What I do is work on my laptop and desktop. I use SugarSync to sync my Alpha folder on both computers "in sync" at all times. Works great. If you are not referring to that, then I'm sorry.

Edit: I do host my databases on a cheap VPS box so I can access them anywhere. I am planning on setting up mirroring with mySql. but again, it also depends if you are using SQL or DBF files.
    Last edited by pettechservices; 10-26-2012, 05:42 AM.

Comment

So what steps are there to properly import a project into Alpha?
      I wouldn't use that term to describe the process.

Alpha is the engine and your database is the project. To work on a database from two computers, non-networked, entails copying the database to the other machine, modifying it, and copying it back to the original. (Repeat each time you want to use the secondary machine.) In a networked situation you would copy the database to a network server and access it from either machine you like.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mage View Post
        This is stuff I should probably know by now, and embarrassed to ask, but I have really only been developing on one computer, and am now going to be working on 2, back and forth.

Unfortunately I don't know what steps to take to import the project into Alpha. In the past I have downloaded example projects, and have only parts of the project imported for some reason. So what steps are there to properly import a project into Alpha? (Using V11)
        http://www.dropbox.com

Comment

Yep - I have everything saved in dropbox. So I can access it from anywhere on whatever computer I have A5 installed. Works perfect!

Comment

Dropbox is fantastic. I'm routinely doing development of the same app on three machines, all in sync. I even have my development webroot set to a dropbox folder so my live preview stuff is always in sync as well.
            Jim Coltz
            Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
            A5CustomSolutions.com
            [email protected]

Comment

Jim - is there a way I can go and reassign my development webroot to dropbox, and do you know how? I am trying to do that now, unable to figure it out.

Thanks, holly

Comment

A word of caution using Dropbox, specifically with files like the aex and alb which have lots of functions or reports, etc, combined into a single file--don't try to change one function or one report on a machine and expect it to come across to the other machine correctly. It'll mess you up.

Comment

Originally posted by hjyon View Post
                  Jim - is there a way I can go and reassign my development webroot to dropbox, and do you know how? I am trying to do that now, unable to figure it out.

Thanks, holly
                  Sure Holly. The webroot is assigned in the web project's control panel. Select "Web" from the menu bar at the top of the screen and then "Application Server". On the "General" tab you set the "Document Root". Mine is set for C:\Dropbox\A5Webroot_V11
                  I keep separate web roots for each version of A5 for testing.

Chris,
                  I haven't had any problems yet. I was skeptical at first but so far the syncing has gone without a hitch. I'm constantly on three different machines.

I keep my Dropbox folder on all machines at c:\dropbox instead of the default. I keeps things cleaner in the long run.
                  Jim Coltz
                  Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
                  A5CustomSolutions.com
                  [email protected]

Comment

Holly, I just wanted to make sure you asked the right question, because Jim answered the question you asked but I'm betting not the one you meant to ask. The webroot is the root for running your project on localhost. The project folder, where the source files are found and altered prior to being published to the webroot, can be found by going to Edit > Open project in explorer. You can put this folder wherever you'd like (including a dropbox folder), and just double-click on the adb file in the project folder to open the project in Alpha Five.

Jim, we're giving Dropbox another go as of this post and our need to collaborate more closely, and I have an optimistic hunch that version 11's separate saving of functions and report layouts etc helps, but there's no question that we screwed up the aex file by both working on functions in version 10.5. I'm glad it hasn't given you any trouble.

Comment

Chris,
                      It sounds like you are wanting to use DropBox(DB) with more than one person. This is probably where you ran into trouble. DB works fine for use by one person who only edits in one location at a time. But if two are editing at the same time then their changes can be over written.
                      Tim Kiebert
                      Eagle Creek Citrus
                      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

The easiest approach to collaborative development is to use a Check Out and Check In process.
                        But easy it isn't as a simple change to a Table Structure may affect a Set, so you need to check out the whole Set.
                        I suppose one way would be to have a dev platform, and when a table or set needed work, export it and drop it from the dev version pending reload and adding back.
                        See our Hybrid Option here;
                        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

hi people

i saw this thread and thought il ask my question currently i have my alpha five database on one system but i wish to access it from another machine at the same time and be able to make changes to mu database and add new customers on each system at the same time is the dropbox the way to go with this or not

i have no idea please let me now

any info would be great im running alpha five version 7 is there benefits to upgrading to a newer version and how would it affect my current database

sorry for the questions just not sure in this aspect the databse was built by someone else but he has passed

thanks for reading

Comment

David, you are asking 2 questions.
                            1) Changing the Database might mean altering the structure. That is best done on ONE machine and the results copied to the other machine.
                            2) Changing data on both machines is dangerous if you have two databases operating separately.

The easiest way would be to make one database the primary one with the accurate data on it, and as you only have 2 computers, the other one would access the data on the primary. You don't need to complications of DropBox.

So, Primary has data, Secondary has a connection to the Primary and uses the tables on it for data input etc.
                            This means that if you need to change the structure of the tables on the primary, the results will automatically show on the Secondary.

If you have more than two computers accessing the data, you would be better off using a RunTime setup.
                            See our Hybrid Option here;
                            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                              David, you are asking 2 questions.
                              1) Changing the Database might mean altering the structure. That is best done on ONE machine and the results copied to the other machine.
                              2) Changing data on both machines is dangerous if you have two databases operating separately.

The easiest way would be to make one database the primary one with the accurate data on it, and as you only have 2 computers, the other one would access the data on the primary. You don't need to complications of DropBox.

So, Primary has data, Secondary has a connection to the Primary and uses the tables on it for data input etc.
                              This means that if you need to change the structure of the tables on the primary, the results will automatically show on the Secondary.

If you have more than two computers accessing the data, you would be better off using a RunTime setup.

Hi thanks for the fast response so basically as i understand it im better off leaving the database on my main computer and on my second computer open the database from the main computer iver my network and this way il be able to view the data and add data on both machines at the same time just want to double check it all

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X