Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web vs. mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Web vs. mobile

What it shows me, assuming I am reading it correctly, is there huge gap between the presence of desk and mobile apps. It also does not show anything other than a slow growth in mobile and slow decline in desktop. I am not seeing any dramatic spikes or climbs on the mobile side. If all that is correct and the data being graphed is correct then it makes an argument for what many on the forum have been saying. The desktop is far from dead and will be with us for quite some time to come!
    Regards,

John W.
    www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Originally posted by jkwrpc View Post
      What it shows me, assuming I am reading it correctly, is there huge gap between the presence of desk and mobile apps. It also does not show anything other than a slow growth in mobile and slow decline in desktop. I am not seeing any dramatic spikes or climbs on the mobile side. If all that is correct and the data being graphed is correct then it makes an argument for what many on the forum have been saying. The desktop is far from dead and will be with us for quite some time to come!
      That's exactly how I read it.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Which is nothing but logical to me!

The hardware market has always discarded of trade-ins. So anytime you would buy the "newest and greatest" computer, you would sit there stuck with the old one. Trying to sell it through small-ads or just end up throwing it away. So most of us choose to still use it and only throw it away when you start to stumble over it twice a week. So any new computer you purchase would just be "on top of the stack" instead of replacing the old one. Furthermore, a desktop and a mobile device are simply not the same thing. They ain't going to replace one another but at best get an existence next to another. So I do not believe any increase in the sale of mobile devices (which is not limited to tablets at all) will shatter the sale of desktops in any way.

In terms of apps, the question is whether we should get involved with that market to begin with. If you look at what is in the app stores today, and especially at what prices, you could wonder if that is going to pay for your bills? This is a typical consumer market. High volumes against low prices. I don't see that for any of my app that I have developed over the years. Do you?

Maybe, just maybe, this is just another "hype", a soap-bell bound to collapse on you?

Comment

I recently had an interesting conversation about tablets; what came out is that these things are going to be so powerful & fast that at some point you'll use that as your only tool. When you get in the office you put it in it's cradle and you continue to use it with a keyboard,mouse and a traditional monitor. Same thing back home or some shared office space. Looking at where we are already I don't think that is just a dream.
          Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Ummm ...

TABLET + KEYBOARD + MOUSE = LAPTOP (If it walks like a duck …)

“ALPHA FIVE v12” = ALPHA FIVE v11 + PINCH ZOOM, SWIPE CAPABILITY?

Comment

Until it actually comes true that however is exactly what it is. The future can develop along so many lines that there hardly is just one possible outcome. Humanity has proven on numerous occasions that it is very bad in predicting its own future. This won't be an exception. In conversations one can make almost anything true since one does not have to invest the money to get there, just talk about it. I remember back in the 1990's we would all think that starting in the year 2000 we would all fly around in saucers. We don't. Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                I recently had an interesting conversation about tablets; what came out is that these things are going to be so powerful & fast that at some point you'll use that as your only tool. When you get in the office you put it in it's cradle and you continue to use it with a keyboard,mouse and a traditional monitor. Same thing back home or some shared office space. Looking at where we are already I don't think that is just a dream.
                Windows 8 RT?

Comment

Marcel, the lines are getting blurrier everyday! The next step from the HP laptop in my link below (if I did it correctly) is exactly what Frank describes. Flying saucers may take a little longer!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...497&s_cid=e497

Comment

Web vs. mobile: same thing a few years from now

This thread is titled Web vs. mobile. Possibly in five or ten years time, if somebody ever gets to re-read this thread he might either scratch his head or simply smile.

The good news:
                    In ten years time, a person will always have his computing with him, walking in a mall, working at the office or watching TV at home. All he will have to do is plug/dock his a-la-USB thingamajig to the corresponding device/phone/tablet/iXXX and access all his applications and data. Part of these applications and data will be in the thingamajig and part in the cloud.

In twenty years time, technology will be so advanced that there will be no need for a thingamajig for you to access your applications and data.

In thirty years time, Singularity.

The bad news:
                    In forty years time ... we'll still have taxes.

Regards,
                    Felix
                    Last edited by Rida Alhasan; 12-19-2012, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Should we believe some out there, we won't even be here anymore in a few days already!

Comment

Felix - Very clever I am still smiling. :)

Marcel - you reminded me my smiling time may be very limited. :(
                        Regards,

John W.
                        www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

There seems to be two different options for handling display of a web site on a handheld size screen. The first option would be to leave it up to the device as to how to display the page. The second option is to purposely design special formatting for the smaller screen size and display a customized page. The second choice seems to be the approach most preferred.

I experimented on my Android phone and my laptop PC. I went to the Alpha Software home website on both devices. It appears to me that Alpha Software has not designed a special "mobile" homepage. And it doesn't need it. I can browse the page just fine on my Android in the standard browser or with Opera, or Dolphin, whatever. A simple double-tap shows me the full page or a zoomed section. This website is quite readable on the small handheld screen.

Next, I went to eBay's home page. This time I get redirected to a specific "mobile" version. I compared this to the Laptop PC screen and can see some differences with some stuff missing on the "mobile" screen. If I select "Classic" version from the settings I go to a page that looks almost the same as on the PC but it is still redirected as a "mobile" site and is not the same as on the the PC.

I don't understand why I have to use a "mobile" page when my phone is quite capable of displaying the full page view in the same way as my PC. I can see the benefit of an "App" that is designed specific to a device but I do not see why I am forced to view a "mobile" website just because I am using a phone instead of my PC. It seems that the industry wants to hem us in as either "mobile" or PC. But why? My handheld is capable and for all intents and purposes it *IS* a PC. Can't I CHOOSE to use it like a PC? Or MUST I use it only in "mobile" mode? Who decides?

Sean

Comment

Sean,

I don’t think it’s the industry, but individual companies that decide how their websites will be navigated. They may just be wanting to cut down on visitors bailing out when having to navigate regular-sized web pages on mobile devices.

I think a lot will depend on the size of the company [and its IT resources], the content of any given web site and how it will be used.

If it’s mainly outward-facing read-only content, you will probably see a lot of companies just using one set of webpages for all clients … mobile and PC. One reason for this is to reduce the amount of work that would otherwise be required to support and revise TWO sets of functionally-similar pages. (Obviously, the likes of eBay are quite able to handle the double IT workload and with their level of transaction volume, it would be in their best interests to optimize the user-experience!)

If a site is inward-facing (employees only) or is data-entry intensive with a large number of mobile users, you are more likely to see some pages specifically optimized for small-screen use.

Usually, employees don’t need the same level of "hand-holding" [onscreen help/instruction] that would be required by casual [external] visitors. Employees just need to be able to efficiently use the tools they are given and too much onscreen help can become a major hindrance, once employees are familiar with an application.

Paul
                            Last edited by Paullm; 12-25-2012, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Sean,

The idea with Alpha for a mobile "site" is to create web based apps contrary to native apps. Notice I'm talking about apps in the first place not sites. If for example you want to create a web based app for field technicians in Alpha then there's a lot of advantage having the look & feel of an app compared to 'normal' website. Four your own implementation you could always decide to offer the choice to users: "you appear to be using a mobile device; do you want to browse our mobile site or our standard site" using Request.UserAgent that gicves you the following info for some browsers I tested:

PC Win7:
                              CHROME: 127.0.0.1Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.75 Safari/537.1
                              IE: 127.0.0.1Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; MALC)
                              OPERA: 127.0.0.1Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; U; en) Presto/2.10.289 Version/12.01
                              FIREFOX: 127.0.0.1Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
                              SAFARI: 127.0.0.1Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/534.57.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.7 Safari/534.57.2

Mobile:

Android

Internet browser HTC desire: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-de; HTC_DesireS_S510e Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1
                              Firefox op Android: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Mobile; rv:14.0) Gecko/14.0 Firefox/14.0.1

iPhone

Safari: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3

iPad

Safari: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3

Edit: check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIVdl...em-uploademail in which Selwyn explains why using mobile style versions of check boxes & radio butttons (because they are just to small to easily being used on a mobile device)
                              Last edited by Clipper87; 12-26-2012, 10:41 AM.
                              Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Working...
                              X