Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Hybrid app with mirrored/synced database possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hybrid app with mirrored/synced database possible?

I don't currently own/subscribe to a5, but am considering it. I am not a developer though I did code some a couple decades ago, and am mainly interested doing stuff for myself. So I understand the basic terminology at least.

My question is regarding creating hybrid apps. On the a5 website it gives the example of a corporate setting with intranet desktop and web based access to an a5 app, which it calls a hybrid application. What I would like to know though is whether in a single user situation, I could create a hybrid app to work both on my desktop and remotely via a browser, but allowing the desktop use to be offline as well. Obviously this would require 2 instances of the database and being able to sync them, at least via a batch mode.

I am not particularly interested in running this via remote desktop, and perhaps possibly I might get around the TOS of my isp and find a way to host a site on an additional box I add to my home LAN. But again, I am inquiring whether I can do this via a hosted server and my own computer. So is such a mirrored and synced app possible?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Re: Hybrid app with mirrored/synced database possible?

hello

Obviously this would require 2 instances of the database and being able to sync them, at least via a batch mode.
    no that is not true here with alpha five.
    you buy developer edition that comes with tools to develop desktop and as well as browser based access to the same database, be it native dbf or sql in many flavors.
    you will be able to access via your desktop and / or browser in your computer.
    however if you want multiple computers connected to that server via desktop then you buy additional software called runtime.
    if you want to access that database from other computers located elsewhere with browser then you buy additional software called web application server (WAS)
    you can buy developer alone or with runtime and or WAS it is your choice and need.

you can certainly host your application via browser approach, if traffic is heavy and you want to move then you can host elsewhere.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Hybrid = a database that is connected via desktop as a stand alone or lan to other computers. all work on one set of data. AND it is accessable from the internet using a browser.

From the internet, you would build a website that is hosted by some company or yourself that works on the same data as one or more desktop users are concurrently using.

In other words, you can make a desktop app that can be shared(with runtime) with other computers on a lan. That app can also be accessed by way of the web from an a5 web app that connects to the data.

You can do all of this with the standard dbf files or MySQL, Ms Sql, or..... + alpha 5

You can get what you need by going to the ala-carte part of alpha software. Here: http://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/ or the subscription also on the same page
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thank you for the replies, but I think I was not clear in my original question. I understand the definition of hybrid as a5 has as it in desktop users via a LAN + remote access via web all to the database hosted remotely or as part of the LAN.

So let me try to restate. Again assuming one user only who wishes to run an app on his desktop at home and also be able to access it via web remotely, and with the hosting done 3rd party remotely on his website. So what happens if his broadband goes down at home? He can't access the net nor his database. So can he have duplicate copies of the database on both his desktop and on the remote server, and then sync them as necessary so as to be able to use the program offline? Or you can flip the situation and say he hosts the site on his home LAN with access via the web when away from home and wants to be able to use the database even if he could not connect to his home server. Note again I am not talking about concurrency, but rather a single user.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

hello

as per license agreements you can install your licensed application in two computers (not in the same network), so one computer will be in one location and the other in another location.
          if you are able to sychronize the database and you are the only one user and accessing it by desktop or browser then i see no problem.
          but i have never done that, there are more experienced people here who can definitely answer that.
          thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
          mysql backend
          [email protected]
          1 914 924 5171

Comment

I have a developer edition on 2 computers(laptop and desktop). I can access an adb from either, but am only supposed to use one computer at a time. It is ok if they are on the same lan, just don't have it trying to access the same adb at one time. I guess they don't want two developers using what is supposed to be a single copy. With runtime, you can access any app at a time so no problem.

It think to sync the two databases, you would want to look at the append in operations there is a member here has a bunch of experience with this. I do not, but I don't think it is that hard.

You would have to have an exact copy of the app on each computer and some way of knowing when the wan is down so it can switch to the local copy.

I do not know of a way to make sure both databases are completely sync'd all the time, but pretty sure it is possible.
            Last edited by DaveM; 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I am not intending to have the a5 web server on more than one machine, but I guess from what I am wanting to do, part of my question might be whether you can create an app that uses runtime on a desktop for accessing the webserver while you can connect via the web with another computer, again for 1 user only.

I guess a related question would be whether you could have the same desktop app on your main computer and laptop sharing the same database through a LAN at home, but when you go out with the laptop and modify its copy of the database, can you then sync it with the database on the other computer when you get back home. Again I am not so much concerned with whatever licensing scheme I would have to purchase, but whether it is feasible to do this with a5.

For an example, let's say I have a simple contacts database on my main computer at home, and want to be able to use it on a laptop when I travel, and then sync them back home. Or be able to have a mobile smartphone app use the database via a hosted webserver but also be able to work offline at home on the main computer with the database if broadband was down, and then again sync them somehow. My intent is to not to have to always depend on broadband being up at home or finding wifi connectivity out in the boondocks with a laptop or smartphone. Obviously the size of the database would be limited for a smartphone.

Comment

If you want to sync 2 dbs I think you have to hand code this. If all you do is add new records that's not too hard. But if you do deletes and updates, then that can be very tricky.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

hello

if i understand what you are asking - simple answer is no you can not do that.
                  however if you want multiple computers connected to that server via desktop then you buy additional software called runtime.
                  if you want to access that database from other computers located elsewhere with browser then you buy additional software called web application server (WAS)
                  this quote is from my first post.
                  when you install alpha five in one computer it has desktop and web application server for that machine only. you can not access that machine via lan ( possibly you can keep the data in the shared folder and the other alphafive possibly can look into that folder, i don't know) or browser from any other computer. because of the license agreement you can have two computer with alpha five installed.
                  but they are separate and not interconnected.
                  but there are other possibilities
                  you can copy folders between computers, whenever you want go on the road copy to laptop and when you come back home copy back.
                  there are synchronizing software, they may be able to synchronize the folder like foldershare, dropbox etc
                  you can zip the database and unzip into another computer.
                  i am not sure is this you are asking?
                  thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                  mysql backend
                  [email protected]
                  1 914 924 5171

Comment

Lee,

One of my apps has a single(could be networked) install. The user can also install that on a laptop. It is a simple application with 2 main tables. When the user gets home he simply copys the data files into a predetermined folder on his desktop and on his desktop app, he presses a button that does a unique append of the data that came from the laptop. Let me reiterate, this is a simple application where there is almost never a wifi connection for the user to use when he is out.

If this is what you are looking for, then, yes it can be done with very little coding. ***Note: as peter said above, if there are deletes and other stuff, it takes a bit more work.

Both the laptop and the desktop are on unlimited runtime. I sell the app for 100.00 over the internet. Only time something gets messed up is when they forget to download the files or they put them in the wrong folder. I guess I should do a little work to make it simpler for them. Only a couple people actually do this and the rest typically just install to a laptop.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I'd like to thank you guys very much for all your help. I think I understand now that to do what I wanted, I would have to have a desktop app with runtime license at home, and then was license to install the app on a hosted server, and then I would have to sync them myself and remember to do so before I actually had used them independently with each having changes the other did not. Or as suggested have a runtime license installed on home computer and laptop and then sync them. Despite not wanting to do so, using remote desktop to access a desktop app when away might be the simpler solution.

Thank you all again.

Comment

I do not use the was. I am 100% desktop with this app and only with dbf files.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Lee,

You might be over-complicating your request ...

If there is ONLY ever one user ... you ... and the database/table is not too large to fit on a USB memory stick, just carry the master copy with you and update that. [Obviously, you'd want a security copy, just incase you lose the memory stick, etc.]

When you get back to base, just upload from the USB memory stick to your desktop system, before you make any data changes on that system.

If you REALLY do need/want data syncing, it gets a little more involved ... add a "last updated" date & time column (field) to your tables(s) and create a batch routine that updates one copy of the table to another, based on the date and time of last update.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you even need to bring web access into the equation.

Also ... as an alternative to a USB drive, consider one of the free cloud storage facilities ... such as kerio workspace ... which you could use to securely hold your data while you travel. Again, assuming your tables are not too large, just download and upload the tables as needed. (kerio is free up to 10GB).

Comment

Working...
                          X