Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Good news for the desktop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good news for the desktop!

Originally posted by Paullm View Post
    Just how much is there to be improved? (I mean REAL improvements).

Many so-called "improvements" between OS platforms have really been largely cosmetic ... change the look and move things around just to make it look different ... and worth the upgrade!

Why are so many still hanging onto XP? Because there is not a compelling-enough reason to "upgrade" to W7 or W8 ... along with needing a more-powerful system and having to re-learn how to do things! (The furore over Microsoft's removal of the user-familiar "Start" button in W8 [and the subsequent workarounds!] shows what happens when changes are taken too far and for no justifiable reason).

Similarly, just how many more incarnations of MS Office can there be? I originally used Office 2000 and like most users, I used a very small subset of the available features. I upgraded to Office 2007 several years ago, but I'm not using any more than I did in the 2000 product!
    Slightly off the topic I know, but why would you buy MS Office when you have superb free products with very similar look and feel out there? http://www.kingsoftstore.co.uk/kings...-freeware.html
    The professional version has VBA as well at only �50. With regard to the MS OS licences take a look at Linux see http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer
    this Ubuntu product installs Linux on the same PC as your Windows machine and you can select which OS you wish to work with at boot up time, a totally painless install experience.
    The look and feel of the Linux OS is superb and if a novice with Linux it won't take you long to get used to the look and feel...
    Any way, my related point is that the larger IT software suppliers such as MS are of course aware of of the competition and low cost if not free alternatives emerging out there and to continue existing in the style they have become accustomed to, use their massive capital assets to revamp existing products, repackage them with bells and whistles and a new name, and then announce the next big thing in software - ta da... They consistently do this and it seems these days on a more frequent basis, appealing to the mass and corporate market by deluging them with promotional emotional (don't be left behind) advertising. Sadly, I believe it will ever be thus, and alas to the detriment of the more innovative yet smaller IT software suppliers out there, offering value for money real alternatives.
    To some degree, this need to improve drive also affects established software companies such as Alpha. I can understand this to a certain degree, it's just that I would prefer fixes/improvements to the desktop as a priority followed by even more excellence on the web side of the product.

I feel as if I rambled a bit too much there, never mind...

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pulsoft View Post
      Slightly off the topic I know, but why would you buy MS Office when you have superb free products with very similar look and feel out there?
      Very simple : exchangeability. We have done extensive research after the consequences of using open source office software in stead of Microsoft Office products, and detected blocking issues in corporate information exchange situations. When you are "alone on the planet" in your business efforts, that won't hurt. But if you are part of a larger corporate organisation with whom you need to work together, all using Microsoft Office, that will turn out to be a "no go" area.

Comment

Even more good news for the "desktop." .....Linux anyone ?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20319...e-desktop.html

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/...-way/240151632
        Last edited by milesjg; 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by milesjg View Post
          These links refer to the 'Windows' desktop, not Al[ha Five desktop.
          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
            These links refer to the 'Windows' desktop, not Al[ha Five desktop.

...and it runs on...? The OP and the content of most of this thread (minus Mayans and dogs) appears to be "the desktop."

Comment

Originally posted by mronck View Post
              We have done extensive research after the consequences of using open source office software in stead of Microsoft Office products, and detected blocking issues in corporate information exchange situations. When you are "alone on the planet" in your business efforts, that won't hurt. But if you are part of a larger corporate organisation with whom you need to work together, all using Microsoft Office, that will turn out to be a "no go" area.
              One reason Alpha 5 exists in the first place is that people were willing to take a leap of faith - and an extensive one at that. Any company that is not willing to consider and delve into better alternatives (read creative, useful, efficient, lean, easy to train, operate and manage, with cheap to free up-front costs, etc.), is not staying competitive. Why would you include such companies in your scope when considering the future plans of your businesses. I tend to steer away from companies that are slow on their feet - even big ones. Most MS products are a bloated mess of difficulty that keep IT guys like me employed... What am I saying??? Please don't read this.

Comment

MY Opinion!

Any large corporation that can afford a developer(s) should hire top quality people do do just their inhouse programming with an eye of the future. Eye on future means expansion and the tools that can make everything grow as the company grows.

From the above, I really don't think many of the programs out there today can supply the tools do that, because it would entail desktop, internet, iphones, tablets, and more that is probably coming. They will have to make a large corporation tah may double the size or more in 5 years able to do that simply by adding "nodes" and not suffer speed loses by doing so.

There are some programs that can do that too. They are not cheap to they are almost free or free. The only real problem with open source is the code you write is also open source(with a few exceptions). There are open source programs that can take on the calleges of a large corporation if the company has the right programmers. In almost any large company, there will not be just one program used but several that work well together and some others that are totally incorporated in to the final application.

Did I say that correctly? I am not asking anyone to agree(or no) with me, just my opinion.

If an alpha programmer happens to find they are hired into a position withing the IT department, then alpha may have an open door to be one of the programs or the main program inside the corporation. We never know which one (or several) of us may someday be that person. Then the question is whether alpha is strong enough to handle it. Mostly, I think alpha is strong enough.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Tau Delta View Post
                  One reason Alpha 5 exists in the first place is that people were willing to take a leap of faith - and an extensive one at that. Any company that is not willing to consider and delve into better alternatives (read creative, useful, efficient, lean, easy to train, operate and manage, with cheap to free up-front costs, etc.), is not staying competitive. Why would you include such companies in your scope when considering the future plans of your businesses. I tend to steer away from companies that are slow on their feet - even big ones. Most MS products are a bloated mess of difficulty that keep IT guys like me employed... What am I saying??? Please don't read this.
                  Things sometimes just are not that simple that only the own opinion matters. As I have stated in the post you commented on, sometimes there is an obligation for interactivity ruled by inter-corporate guidelines. If you are part of a chain, you need to have your links straight or you will fail. If Microsoft is the standard, there can be situations where you are more or less forced to use Microsoft or else be ignored in a corporate situation. I have been there. It is not always a matter of "better" or "innovative" or "competitive" or "cheaper" but rather that you can be compliant.

Comment

Things do not go always as planned. What next?

Comment

Working...
                    X