Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Application Gamification: ever heard of it? No? Now is your moment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application Gamification: ever heard of it? No? Now is your moment!

Now I have been accused anyway of writing way too much in my posts, let's stretch this a bit more and drive you all up the wall a bit. Not for fun, but with good reason and trying to help.....

Because many of you develop boring software that employees hate to work with!
    Well this doesn't help much feeling comfortable does it? But after this bombshell lets work this out a bit. Humor me.....

You concentrate around what the customer exactly want you to get done, and see to it that the demands are met data-wise and in terms of application logic.
    To make this short: you deliver an application that does what it should do! Good for you?

Well, that depends! Of course this will get the bill paid, and no matter what happens next, your family will applaud you for that. So yes, you could say you are doing great. But let's look a little bit closer.

How many of your applications are still being used with enthusiasm? In the end, you can build whatever you want, but employees will have to work with them. And you are producing software in an extremely competitive environment: the gaming industry! Since THAT is what your customers employees know and experience when they get home from a days work with the static and boring business software you created (excuse me). They play games. Voluntarily! They love to play games! How would it be, if they "loved to work with your software" just as much? Not while their boss tells them to, but just because it's fun and challenging?

Now that's a challenge isn't it?

Another example you might recognize: put an average employee in front of any popular game WITHOUT any documentation and when you get back after 4 hours you will still see that employee focused to the death almost buried into his screen finding out how exactly this game ticks! Even without ANY documentation the employee will succeed in finding out how it works, based on strong motivation, driven by inner emotions.
    Our business software however does tend to not have that effect. Put an employee behind your business application (not the boss of course who has a direct financial motivation) and chances are after a few seconds already he will start to complain about the lack of documentation. Like we do here at the Alpha forum from time to time . So, I hear you thinking, what would that matter?

There are many, many examples of software investments that ended up in the companies' bin just because people refused to work with it. Sometimes they even seemed to be on a quest to make the software fail! What this means in terms of business economics is obvious. It not only costs tons of dollars, but it also moves motivation of employees into a very unwanted negative corner.

And to top things off: it does not exactly make YOU look good as the developer as well....... although you could not do anything for it...... now could you?

Yes you could! Gamify your product!

"What?" I hear you thinking.... "Has he gone completely mad?". Hmmm. I would not contradict that. But to go on: you could bring competitive elements into your software, which appeal to inner motivations of the employee: it does not become a matter of "doing your job" but a matter of "to win or to loose". If you use that element in a playful way that not contradicts the targets of the software itself, you could have added a winning element to your software that actually invites employees to work with it! How cool is that?

"Gamification" does not necessarily have to be targeted in the rather obvious way as mentioned above. You can also think of using that angle to have the software "explain itself" to the employee as he goes along with it: when the employee reaches a higher level in your software, more is disclosed about how it works in the next level. Information an employee can only have if you is really up to it, and information that shows that the employee in fact has advanced above his fellow game player.... uhhhhh.... fellow worker I mean.

Just as games are fun, the right application of "gamification" technologies can make working with your application just as fun for the employee as playing "World of Warcraft" or "Sniper Elite" at home.
    Imagine what this could do with your application, and the acceptance of your application for your customer.

A warning though is at place: this is not something you can easily succeed with, and it takes a fair amount of hours of study to see where your opportunities are.

Alpha Five Developer: Gamify !!

Re: Application Gamification: ever heard of it? No? Now is your moment!

Interesting viewpoint. Just thinking how to turn an offer system into a slot machine. Once the sales person has managed to get his leads to a certain (approved) status he will see some money transferred to his private bankaccount :-). Guess which software he want to use... that which supports him with the best features to achieve the desired level of the leads.

The killer app will be the webbased software which seduces customers best to place the orders themselves. Double kill: the competitors software and the sales person :-)

But really i like you idea :-)
    Ger Kurvers
    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

Of course, as you might have imagined already, this post was styled using "gamification techniques" trying to hit a nerve and trigger reactions

But make no mistakes Ger: gamification really exists and is becoming a business that rapidly grows. There already are several serious companies that are in this business.
      A quick search command on Google throws back 6.320.000 results.....

Comment

Definitely food for thought.
        And since it was me that accused you Marcel of writing long posts, I do appreciate this last one.
        It is stimulating, so you are somewhat redeemed. Not that it matters because you are unstoppable.
        I'm sure I will get back on this topic after some more thought. Thank you.

Comment

You need one of my latest marketing venturing ideas to sell this Check out Captain Coffee
          Last edited by Clunes; 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM.
          -----------------------------------------------
          Regards
          Mark Pearson
          [email protected]
          Youtube channel
          Website

Comment

Great scribe Mark! There is a thread somewhere about this technique and the online software to do it with.

Comment

Yes I know, I started it
              Regards
              Mark Pearson
              [email protected]
              Youtube channel
              Website

Comment

I have another perspective ...

Business applications are developed to get work done and they need to be "tight" ... they need to do the job, be devoid of "bells and whistles" and be reliable.

Making applications "cutesy" might be a good selling point (although, I would contest this), but what starts out cute usually becomes very annoying to skilled employees, once the novelty wears off. This is particularly relevant with data entry intensive applications, where you want to reduce both key strokes and the user having to switch between keyboard and mouse.

I have a rule-of-thumb when using A5 or any other development platform ... just because you can do something does not mean that you should.

Quite a few posts on this forum, seeking help, appear to stem from people trying to get a little too "clever" with the software, rather than sticking with what works.

I am currently reading a new book ... "The Laws of Subtraction" by Matthew E. May. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that develops application software.

Comment

This point of view exactly has been the sole cause for billions of dollars been thrown down the drain because of software that was rejected by users. We have done that. We have been there. It's an obsolete point of view. The society has learned quick and valuable lessons from the billion dollar drama events on software in the last decades. Investments in software have definitely changed and we are aware much more of the dangers that threaten software development projects.

Software used to be only "tight" and "efficient". But often boring for the user and without any challenge or motivation. The examples of that are numerous and often incredible in terms of the damage they brought to the companies involved. From that experience, development has grown and affects not only "the function" but also "the implementation".

Software architecture is not only the exact science it once began with, it has come to include behavioral aspects of the human mind and many, many other areas of expertise to help convert "computer language" into "solutions that work and are attractive to use".

The idea of "gamification" is not to make the software more "cute" sec, but to make it more appealing in order to increase adaptability. The difference is clear: this can save your "tight" business application in the end. Software can only function when it thrives in the environment it has to live in.

Furthermore, it is a mistake to believe that gamification can only be done by adding "bells and whistles", although this does depend on the creativity of the designing team. This really is a specialized business inside business application development.

The resistance against these types of development is not new either: we have seen this also with the introduction of Windows type Operating Systems. "What a bunch of unnecessary overhead" was a common argument from those who could not look across the wall. We now know better then that. Every time something new needs accepting, you will find conservative minds who resist, and creative minds who explore. Not always with a predestined result of success, but with the will to improve it many times brought us desirable progress.

Comment

The billions of [application development] dollars wasted most often occurs because the software did NOT solve the problem or realize the cost savings it was touted to do. This is the primary reason "users" (i.e. companies) reject systems. Early CRM applications were an example of this.

I would argue that software is more motivating to users when it enables them to do their jobs efficiently ... when it does NOT "challenge" them, but when it "gets out of the way" of what they are needing to do. You make software more appealing by REMOVING the clutter. (This also applies to websites).

Look and feel are very important in applications, but this is not the same thing.

"Adaptability"? ... many seasoned developers inherently make their systems adaptable; just knowing from experience.

Resistance to new Operating Systems is actually a bad example, as users don't "do things" in operating systems; they use applications. "Upgrading" to Windows Vista from XP would have been a very bad and expensive move for many companies and the same might also be said for "upgrading" to the newer Windows 8; versus Windows 7.

My “conservative” approach is more along the lines of WHAT distinct benefits (financial and operational) am I/my clients going to get from upgrading to something new … VERSUS upgrading just because Microsoft needs to make more billions of dollars by creating the next widget.

I can indeed “look across the wall”. I just need to have a compelling reason when deciding whether or not to actually climb over.

Comment

I think there is a fine line here between boring and appealing. Boring may be a tightly integrated application that accomplishes the required task seamlessly and efficiently. In my experience, that is exactly what users are expecting in a professional enterprise environment. On the other hand, software designed to be fun to use can easily become bloated for the sake of "feeling cool" or "fun". How annoying was that little tail wagging dog or swishing paperclip in MS's Office products. Back in the day when we used to burn data to CD's, my favorite software was a tight solid little package called Nero. Within a couple of years it quickly became a bloated buggy mess and, like many others, I left it for other apps. Of course, most users save data to huge capacity portable drives now, so cd burning is a bit obsolete. But there are many examples of this happening across the software industry.

From my own situation, I don't develop for others, so I develop what I think best suits my requirements. I like to think that I am critical and picky enough that if I like it, then my users will like it too.
                      Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Hey Stephen. Point is, the whole map of developing software exists of "fine lines" as you call them. And I agree with you on that. However, if you all think that gamification is a matter of "design software to be fun" then you have missed the point, or I have missed explaining it. The end goal is not "funny software".

What is gamification exactly?
                        Gamification is the science of applying game theory and mechanics in non-game contexts.

How important is the business?
                        Let's start by it's importance. A few figures: gamification is expected to grow significantly the coming few years. Research from Gartner indicates that by 2015, 50% of organizations that manage innovation processes will gamify those processes, and that by 2014 more than 70% of Global 2000 organizations will have at least one gamified application. Now, that tells us something about how the importance of "gamification" is estimated.

Driving engagement
                        Introducing major software is nothing more, and nothing less then a change process. And various research has already made clear to us, that there are about fixed percentages of types of users with regards to how they will engage any major change. About a third will do nothing, and another third will fight it because they believe in how things were done previously. They don't like innovation much, no matter its advantages.
                        Given this fact, there is a lot of money to be gained by influencing those figures, and make acceptation of the software better. Driving the users engagement so to say. We do not want the user to only "use" the software, we want him to be engaged in the software in an active way. Gamification is a way to drive engagement of your users. It does that for instance by presenting short-term achievable goals to the users to maintain engagement.

Setting goals
                        Gamification tends to give people goals to work towards. As said, achievable short term goals. In this way users feel empowered to reach those goals themselves. This provides a motivation to succeed and it reduces the sting of failure. Gamification changes the working environment since it no longer accepts unstructured environments, but instead sets goals to people, along with clear and understandable "rules of play".

One of the major problems that developers who use these techniques meet is the image of gamification. We can see that in this thread as well. Gamification holds the word "game" in it. Which suggests that all software that is designed using gamification techniques are bloated with fun stuff and will make everything into a game. Nothing however is farther from the truth. Typically however, gamification only uses the least interesting part of gaming: the scoring. Gamification tends to set goals, and when you meet the goal you get some kind of incentive. This can be anything.

Real life examples
                        I know of a major company that uses gamification techniques in its Human Resource department. People get written compliments when they do something outstanding. If you have a certain amount of those compliments, you can get a badge to wear. At the end of the year, those with a badge enter a lottery where they can win a considerable prize. Whilst you can think "compliments" and "wearing badges" are childish (I did think so in the beginning) in reality this is not the case and it has a positive effect on the motivation of employees. Creating meaningful gamification that benefits the user and creates a positive impression of the non-game context will then have a long-term benefit for the organization.

Comment

I think there are two lines of thought here, but we want to deliver one solution. I particularly take a lot of time to deliver the message to staff that the most important tool we have sits on the desktop, in our pockets and our finger tips. Why then do we use it so badly. People are not lazy, it is that there are two types, the mechanical employee, who firstly needs to be trained and once trained, through repetition, will get better at the system, but really fails to take advantage of the power they have. They plod along and marvel when someone shows a shortcut or better way to achieve the same result. They don't fight change, they just don't know it is possible. This is 80% of everyone out there.

THen we have the second type. The creative, the explorer, the challenger. This person who can see the wood in the trees and once they learn, they seek faster, better, more efficient ways to use the tools.

THe trick with this is to realise you need to develop with the two in mind. A program must be developed with the simplicity that all users can achieve the same results, albeit in different ways. One may need wizard and genies, while another only needs a keyboard.

I like the thought of a gaming approach, but also agree that such a solution over time will loose appeal unless, like real games, it evolves and continues with new challenges. After all everyone was in awe of pacman but it had a life and died.

So i feel the key to real success is the development of one operational system, that is complimented with innovative, intuitive help. I am tired of the numbers of truly expensive systems, that have really pathetic help or training systems to back them up. This help system would truly be of benefit if were in a gaming approach.

Secondly, intuitive help that delivers messages to users, that analysis work flow of the user and prompts them to do it a quicker way. An underlying database that management can analyse and deliver advanced training to their users based on the way they are learning.

What i am really saying is we build great databases, but with really limited training and learning built in. Buyers out there are tired of trying something new as they loose $$$$$ in handover, user lack of development and usually really costly ongoing support.
                          Regards
                          Mark Pearson
                          [email protected]
                          Youtube channel
                          Website

Comment

Application Gamification: simple example

Data-entry is not a particularly attractive activity, in normal circumstances. How can we make it more interesting? Let's consider some ideas from posts by Stephen and Marcel:

• What starts out cute usually becomes very annoying to skilled employees, once the novelty wears off
                            • Software is more motivating to users when it enables them to do their jobs efficiently
                            • Gamification tends to set goals, and when you meet the goal you get some kind of incentive. This can be anything.
                            • The idea of "gamification" is to make the software (...) more appealing

The key words/concepts here are: annoyance-avoidance, motivation, efficiency, appeal, goal-incentive-anything

A simplified, still to be refined idea of data-entry (I'd sketch an image but this forum does not allow me to include attachments): imagine a screen with two panes, a wide and a thin one. The wide pane contains the data-entry form and the thin one a "peek" into the database table(s), so that every time the user adds a record, he can see how the table(s) now contains the new record. Plus, if the user clicks on a record in the thin pane, all its fields are shown in the wide pane, so that the user can view, edit or delete the record.

The wide pane uses a normal font and the thin pane a smaller font. The pane widths are resizable, and additionally the thin "peek" pane can be closed by the user, leaving just the data-entry portion. Once implemented, we'd have to ask:

• Does the user get a tiny instant-gratification tickle ("fun") when he clicks the Enter Record button in the form and immediately sees the data transferred to the table?
                            • Does the presentation layout make him more efficient in terms of adding, selecting, viewing, editing and deleting data?
                            • Would the data-entry screen be more appealing without the thin "peek" pane?

The above is a quick-and-dirty simple proposal. It would be good to have more concrete examples, especially those applicable to data-intensive applications.

Regards,
                            Felix

Comment

Re: Application Gamification: simple example

Nice call Felix.
                              I have always include evidence, in input screens, of the last "post" written to a table. Less for user gratification than to not leave the user wondering "Did that really go through?" .

I've notice many users otherwise exit and make a physical enquiry elsewhere.
                              Especially when we make processing silent.

This context places a different slant on that practise.

Comment

Working...
                              X