Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

iExpress - Windows Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iExpress - Windows Utility

I have been looking for a solution to replace the install maker for Alpha Five. We have been told it will not be available in v12 and we also know the current version is lacking. That said I discovered something I did not know and wondered if anyone had experience with it. It' s a utility called iExpress and is part of Windows. You run it from the the Start -> Run command window. Type ' iExpress '.

Before I give it go, I wondered if anyone had any experience with it?

Here is a link with some information about it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Exe-File
    Regards,

John W.
    www.CustomReportWriters.net

Re: iExpress - Windows Utility

I think it is a very small thing that is useable. I don't see where it will do all the things necessary for a remote install. I think I will stick to the astrum Installer for now. It seems to have all the tools needed to remotely install an app.

That being said, Wise is bigger and stronger than astrum, but the cost is prohibitive for a small/single user. There must be others out there that go somewhere in between. Jury is still out on installers.

I can definitely understand alpha dropping the installer portion of the desktop. It needs a ton of work that would tie up a programmer that could be working on something more needed by the whole community.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave - thanks for the comments. I appreciate your expertise particularly in the install area. I know its something where you have a lot of practical experience.
      Regards,

John W.

Comment

I just tried it
        + very quick and easy
        - Compression - very poor ratio
        - Functionality - none , can't even put the shortcut in place

There is a $99 converter that will do more, but Astrum is free now and definitley can work, just harder to set-up.

Comment

Ray - thanks for the test. Good information. I just found another open source installer that looks good, it's called Nvn Installer. I hope to be giving it a test this next week. I will share what I learn.

Here is a link http://www.nvninstaller.com/
          Regards,

John W.

Comment

Having said what I did.
            Testing iExpress for a less trying task - ie delivering A5 program updates to clients in a package - great. Quick and automatic install.
            Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 03-23-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Its nice to know its there, free, and its nice to know it can be useful in certain situations.
              Regards,

John W.

Comment

Ray,

How does it work when there is an update to the core of a table(fields added or changed) with 100,000 records in it?? It easily and quickly done with astrum and a short script. Astrum can be set to not overwrite files in certain conditions.

Iexpress to send support files for an app could be a good thing if you don't need a full blown install, or convoluted stuff.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Quite.
                  Handy to quickly deliver an update in an exe to a client that when run will simply put the files you sent, into a selected folder on their side.

Comment

Also with some of the "Hello we are about to update your alpha" and "All finished" stuff

Comment

I haven't used an installer in Alpha5 (web apps don't require one) but I have used InnoTool with all of my other programming languages. It is free and quite flexible.

Comment

I like most of what I read about inno. I did not like the following.

Is it possible to do a silent install without using the /SILENT or /VERYSILENT command-line parameters?
                        No, nor is such a feature planned (it would be abused). If it is your intention to keep user interaction to a minimum, use the Disable* [Setup] section directives.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

here is iExpress video on youtube
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeeuNx5xJw8
                          {

Comment

Working...
                          X