Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Where do you post questions about XBASIC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you post questions about XBASIC?

I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum section but it seems that the various versions of A5 are covered but not XBASIC.

I have written a script that reads a groups transaction table and whilst processing all filtered records creates and updates a snapshot group record table with the top 4 records in each group.

There are many thousands of transactions and the processing is very slow even though the main table is indexed and filtered.

Always Alpha complains at the top of the window that Alpha is not responding, and at first I cancelled out assuming that I had coded the script incorrectly only to discover that the snapshot table was being created OK, just slowly

Is there a way to improve the speed of DBF processing?

Re: Where do you post questions about XBASIC?

Post the question (and you can upload your script) Paul to the Forum of your choice.
    As for speed etc, depends on your installation. You might want to consider using calculated fields in the tables. This can work a bit like an OLAP Cube and speeds up process enormously as the calcs are done at data entry time so the user is unaware of the time it takes - which is hardly any time at all.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

dim tblin as P
      tblin = table.open("examresults")
      tblin.index_primary_put("ByTopPos")
      dim tblout as P
      tblout = table.open("examsnapshot")
      tblout.index_primary_put("ByExamID")
      dim qry as P

tblin.fetch_first()

while .not. table.fetch_eof()

if tblin.toppos>4
      GOTO Nextrecord
      else
      if tblin.toppos>1
      GOTO Modifyrecord
      end if
      end if
      if tblin.toppos<>1
      GOTO Nextrecord
      end if
      'Create an output record

tblout.enter_begin()

tblout.date = tblin.date

tblout.module = tblin.module

tblout.examid = tblin.examid

tblout.enter_end(.t.)

GOTO Nextrecord

'Modify the output record - BYPASSED at the moment
      Modifyrecord:

'tblout.fetch_find(tblout.examid)
      'tblout.change_begin()

'changes will go here

'tblout.change_end(.t.)

Nextrecord:

tblin.fetch_next()

end while

tblin.close()
      tblout.close()

end

Comment

Not here Paul, in the forum which applies to your version of Alpha.
        Some users don't look at General Quaetions too often, and they are the ones you want to make suggestions.
        Start a new thread.

The options are V12, V11, V10 etc.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Assuming the whole thread will be moved where it should.....

Paul,

It seems to me you're code is slow because you're not taking full benefit of the indexes. You say the main table is indexed and filtered but don't specify the index expression or filter. I'm not fond of filtered indexes when queries on indexed fields are generally very fast. Assuming you have an index on toppos I would do it this way.

Code:
          dim tblin as P
          tblin = table.open("examresults")
          tblin.index_primary_put("ByTopPos")
          dim tblout as P
          tblout.index_primary_put("ByExamID")
          dim qry as P
          tblin.query_create("N","toppos<5")
          'rest of code
          This should run a query and loop through 4 records. Is that what your filtered index does?

As always, attaching a sample database for diagnosis leads to better answers. There is likely something in your database we're not seeing.

You can garner a bit of speed with

tblin = table.open("examresults",FILE_RW_EXCLUSIVE)
          tblout = table.open("examsnapshot",FILE_RW_EXCLUSIVE)
          There can be only one.

Comment

Thank you Stan, I'll change the code. The college data is personal info and it would take me some time to change names, etc.

I'll post the results of the changes. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm rather lost with the flow you desire. Under what circumstances does the 'Create an output record section need to be executed?

Always Alpha complains at the top of the window that Alpha is not responding
              Alpha doesn't waste a lot of time telling you it is doing what it is supposed to do while it is doing what it is supposed to do.
              There can be only one.

Comment

OK Stan,

The input table has sets of records grouped by unique exam id. These records are per examinee and record amongst many other things personal info and their score in the exam. These scores are ranked within the group of examinees for each unique exam id - first to last.
                The input table is sorted (indexed) by rank, so all records ranked 1 will be processed first and for each of them I create a unique exam id record. Subsequent records ranked 2, 3 and 4 will be updated to the related unique exam id record. So there are in effect potentially four records on each snapshot record (depending on how many students sat the exam). The purpose of the snapshot file is to provide statistics on the top range of scores for each exam.
                I have not added the updates to the script as I wanted to prove the accuracy of the process first. Unfortunately the improvement you suggested did not make a difference, so I can only assume my original code is flawed somewhere.

BTW I think I misled you about filtered - I do not have a filter on the index, I meant the if statements filtering withing the script.

Comment

So the pertinent fields are examid, examinee, and toppos.

For each examid you want to find the four highest ranked (toppos), highest being toppos 1 to 4. You want to create records (for the top 4 examinees) in the output table for the examid if it is not currently there. If the examid already exists, modify the existing records with the new data. (Probably easier just to delete any current records for the examid and add new ones?)

It often helps to describe how you would perform the task manually and translate those steps into code.
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Since you're still in the proving the concept stage try this after creating an index for both tables, "IdRank" with the expression

EXAMID +STR(TOPPOS)

Code:
                    dim tblin as P
                    tblin.index_primary_put("IdRank")
                    dim tblout as P
                    tblout.index_primary_put("IdRank")
                    tblin.fetch_first()
                    vexamid = tblin.examid
                    tblout.batch_begin()
                    while .not. tblin.fetch_eof()
                    	while tblin.examid = vexamid .and. .not. tblin.fetch_eof()
                    		if tblout.fetch_find(tblin.examid+str(tblin.toppos))> 0 .and. tblin.toppos < 5
                    			tblout.change_begin()
                    			tblout.examinee = tblin.examinee
                    			tblout.score = tblin.score
                    			tblout.change_end(.T.)
                    		else if tblin.toppos < 5
                    			tblout.enter_begin()
                    			tblout.examinee = tblin.examinee
                    			tblout.toppos = tblin.toppos
                    			tblout.score = tblin.score
                    			tblout.enter_end(.T.)
                    		end if
                    		tblin.fetch_next()
                    	end while
                    	if tblin.examid > vexamid 'next exam
                    		vexamid = tblin.examid
                    	end if
                    end while
                    tblout.batch_end()
                    tblin.close()
                    tblout.close()
                    end
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan, thank you so much, I just caught your reply. Wow, what a friendly gesture to take time to reply in such a detailed way. Unfortunately, I have to go out, so I won't be able to let you know how I get on until tomorrow.

Thanks again :)

Comment

Stan,

I can see your idea but could not understand your:
                        if tblout.fetch_find(tblin.examid+str(tblin.toppos))> 0 .and. tblin.toppos < 5
                        statement as toppos is not part of the snapshot tables index

I have my version of your code below which needs to be run twice for some reason, the first time it is run it creates the toppos 1 records and the subsequent run populates the toppos 2 to 4 fields in the fetched records. I have checked the new input table index and it is in the right sequence of exam id + str(toppos)
                        so I don't understand why the subsequent record fetches do not find a matching examid record in the first run - baffled...

dim tblin as P
                        tblin.index_primary_put("Byidtopposrank")
                        dim tblout as P
                        tblout.index_primary_put("IdRank")
                        tblin.fetch_first()
                        vexamid = tblin.examid
                        tblout.batch_begin()
                        while .not. tblin.fetch_eof()
                        while tblin.examid = vexamid .and. .not. tblin.fetch_eof()
                        if tblout.fetch_find(tblin.examid)
                        tblout.change_begin()
                        if tblin.toppos=2
                        tblout.bexaminee = tblin.examinee
                        tblout.bmark = tblin.mark
                        if tblin.funding="S"
                        tblout.scholarship = 2
                        end if
                        end if
                        if tblin.toppos=3
                        tblout.cexaminee = tblin.examinee
                        tblout.cmark = tblin.mark
                        if tblin.funding="S"
                        tblout.scholarship = 3
                        end if
                        end if
                        if tblin.toppos=4
                        tblout.dexaminee = tblin.examinee
                        tblout.dmark = tblin.mark
                        if tblin.funding="S"
                        tblout.scholarship = 4
                        end if
                        end if
                        tblout.change_end(.T.)
                        else if tblin.toppos = 1
                        tblout.enter_begin()
                        tblout.edate = tblin.examdate
                        tblout.module = tblin.module
                        tblout.aexaminee = tblin.examinee
                        tblout.amark = tblin.mark
                        if tblin.funding="S"
                        tblout.scholarship = 1
                        end if
                        tblout.enter_end(.T.)
                        end if
                        tblin.fetch_next()
                        end while
                        if tblin.examid > vexamid 'next exam
                        vexamid = tblin.examid
                        end if
                        end while
                        tblout.batch_end()
                        tblin.close()
                        tblout.close()
                        end

Comment

By the way, filtering the input table index to only include toppos 1 to 4 records and even running the script twice, it is now lightening fast :)

Comment

Paul,

Welcome to the message board.

Two tips for you.

1) questions about an xbasic script will get the best relevant exposure if you post them to the desktop forum corresponding to the version of Alpha Five that you are using.

2) as you've discovered the message board left justifies new lines, making it very difficult to read lengthy scripts. If you surround your script with CODE tags the message board will preserve your formatting ( indents, etc.). This is easily done by beginning your post, then choosing the "Go Advanced" button to get to a more complete editor. From there enter your script with indents, then select all the script and click the CODE icon on the editor toolbar. This will encapsulate your script in the desired CODE tags.

Comment

toppos is not part of the snapshot tables index
                              try this after creating an index for both tables, "IdRank" with the expression

EXAMID +STR(TOPPOS)
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                              X