Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to Connect to SQL Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Connect to SQL Server

Is there a new way to connect to sql server? Why is it that I cannot connect anymore when I try to use the Web Component. here is my connections string generated from the build button. {A5API='SQLServer',A5DBVersion=2012,Server='MYSERVER\SEQUEL',A5ANSINullPadWarn=Default,Trusted_connection=yes,Database='Alphasports'}
    I have been using this connection as a sample to try things in the grid component using sql server before. It works perfectly fine until one day I cannot connect anymore, I tried to click the Test Connection button and it say Unable to Connect. Host Server not found. I can connect in visual studio 2012, I can login to sql server management studio, but on alpha five v11 and V12 I cannot. Alphasports is an mdf file that I manually created using sql server management studio.

Re: How to Connect to SQL Server

Are you sure sql_server is running?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Also, my conn string to A-sports is diff than yours?

{A5API=Access,FileName='C:\Users\Test\Documents\Alpha Five V10\MDBFiles\alphasports.mdb',UserName='Admin'}
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

{A5API='SQLServer',A5DBVersion=2012,Server='MYSERVER\SEQUEL',A5ANSINullPadWarn=Default,Trusted_connection=yes,Database='Alphasports'}

If your running SQLExpres from SQLServer then your Server argument must look like .\SQLEXPRESS if your running localhost else use YOURSERVERNAME\SQLEXPRESSS

Comment

Oh my goodness Alpha Five Software Company messed up the build wizard in selecting the sql server version. 1 by 1 I changed the Version of Sql Server from 2012 then 2008 then 2005 etc. and it is good that Alpha still supports Sql Server version 7, I think it was released last 2000. and guess what, IT WORKS! Very funny, I am using the latest sql version not version 7. I think they reversed the order of versions. For those of you who are using Sql 2012 please select version 7 from the combobox version option and NOT VERSION 2012!

Edit. Sure I can connect but I cannot do anything on the tables. Errors in editing and Updating because the version selected is different.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by JetLi; 06-22-2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
            Also, my conn string to A-sports is diff than yours?

{A5API=Access,FileName='C:\Users\Test\Documents\Alpha Five V10\MDBFiles\alphasports.mdb',UserName='Admin'}
            You are using Microsoft Access. Try Sql Server if you can connect using the Version of sql server installed on your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
              Are you sure sql_server is running?
              Are you sure you can connect to sql server using AlphaSports.mdb?

Comment

Jetson,

Your analysis in post 5 is incorrect. Alpha's connection to SQL Server 2012 works perfectly.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                  Jetson,

Your analysis in post 5 is incorrect. Alpha's connection to SQL Server 2012 works perfectly.
                  Yeah, it is hard to believe. but a picture paints a thousand words. I guess I will do the old thing. Reformat the hard Drive , re-install everything. I will see if it solves the problem.

Comment

Reformatting your drive and re-installing will not help. That is not a solution to almost any problem on a modern computer. Fact is that a significant number of us are using Microsoft SQL and many of those connections are to version 2012, using the appropriate driver. To be sure I freshly tested this with the latest A5V12 before my above post and I already have a half dozen applications on A5V11 using Microsoft SQL Server 2012, all using the appropriate driver.

If it does not work for you, that is all you can say unless you get similar agreement from other. You should not be spouting off advice (telling people to use V7 instead of V2012 driver) based on your single and unsubstantiated failed test.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                      Reformatting your drive and re-installing will not help. That is not a solution to almost any problem on a modern computer. Fact is that a significant number of us are using Microsoft SQL and many of those connections are to version 2012, using the appropriate driver. To be sure I freshly tested this with the latest A5V12 before my above post and I already have a half dozen applications on A5V11 using Microsoft SQL Server 2012, all using the appropriate driver.

If it does not work for you, that is all you can say unless you get similar agreement from other. You should not be spouting off advice (telling people to use V7 instead of V2012 driver) based on your single and unsubstantiated failed test.
                      I am not saying that it is the absolute solution, just in case someone may have encountered it.then they can try. Can you see the picture? It cant connect,to V2012, Why? Don't know why too!

Comment

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191464.aspx

I believe SQL Server 2012 has to be told that it can have remote access. did you do that?

Comment

After I re-installed everything. It is now working. Wheeeew! What a day and what a night! If ever or just in case someone has ever encountered this, try everything before you do what I did.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you changed your connection string from the post in post 5. Was that the actual problem? (look at your server names - SEQUEL vs SQLEXPRESS)
                            Bill Griffin
                            Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
                              Looks like you changed your connection string from the post in post 5. Was that the actual problem? (look at your server names - SEQUEL vs SQLEXPRESS)
                              There is nothing to do with alpha. As I have said I re-installed everything.including sql server so i changed the connection name. It can connect now.

Comment

Working...
                              X