Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Guidelines for posting threads

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guidelines for posting threads

They can't turn their boat now when v12 is out but I am sure they have paddle, hand bailer and whistle with them.
    So lets just wait them.

Comment

Is it, at this point in time, even completely clear to anyone what type of vendor-lock-in v12 will cause to the end user of our work, and under which circumstances?
      I know, there is the Application Server that your customer would need to have a subscription for, but is that the only dependency?
      Why I downloaded the runtime and installed it on a client computer the install wanted me to activate the runtime? This is new. It could be that instead of the runtime I was installing the FD version since Alpha seemed to have messed up the download links, but I am not even sure. If the runtime now also needs activation one could wonder why that is and what the consequences might be in case this activation gets refused somewhere in the future. Your off-shelf software containing the runtime would be useless from the point you ended your subscription and Alpha (?) maybe refuses any more activation of that particular runtime license.
      I for the life of me could not imagine any other reason for wanting to activate the runtime?
      Who has more info on this?

Comment

Marcel,

I installed the runtime on a clean system as I am working on a work queue processor; it only asked for the runtime license key, no activation whatsoever. I think that indeed you got bad downloadlinks, I've seen other people here that had the same issue (with their developer copy)
        Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

This thread is [as we Texans say] fixin' to get taken down!

Back to my original request ...

Can someone at AS please outline what is and is not permitted on discussion threads?

Comment

Originally posted by Paullm View Post

Can someone at AS please outline what is and is not permitted on discussion threads?
            Hey Paul:
            Why not put yourself in Alpha's position. You own the company, you own the product and you own this forum. How much would you tolerate before saying, "Enough already". I have followed this forum since 2005 and I am sometimes surprised how tolerant Alpha is. There were previous "uprisings" over price back when v 10 and v11 came about, some by the same posters now on the present issues.

This is a good company that responds well to their buyers needs and wants. I think common sense would tell you that you don't want to kill off the golden goose just because they don't want to tell you all they want to do or plan to do in the future. How many software companies are still around from the early 90's? That should tell you how strong this company is and how dedicated they are to their customers.
            "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

Pete,

I am merely asking a question.

Numerous threads have been taken down, so I am seeking clarification of what is and is not permissible.

This bulletin board ... essentially "social media" ... is slowly being strangled, sometimes by seemingly arbitrary decisions from those who hold the keys.

This is not a good situation!

(Btw .. I have no issues whatsoever with AS).
              Last edited by Paullm; 06-29-2013, 12:15 PM. Reason: Addendum

Comment

hello

this is a legitimate question. since nobody knows the rules, if there are any. they might quote this sticky or that, but in realty there is none. some moderator said they did not remove the thread etc.,
                then who removed it?

Hey Paul:
                Why not put yourself in Alpha's position. You own the company, you own the product and you own this forum

yes put yourself in their shoes.

they don't have good documentation and this board has definitely helped many including some of the longtime users, definitely i learnt a lot from this board. if i were to depend on the documentation i will never be able to learn many of the features this product offers.

if this forum is not the place to vent your feelings where would you?
                if alphasoftware company wants only support from the community and not hear any adverse comments then
                a> do not sponsor any board, when you reap benefits you will also encounter some negative comments
                b> do not allow people to post freely. screen every post and post only that supports the company view. (so you don't have to delete once posted, no knows of its existence)

either have democracy or totalitarian attitude not both.
                understand that deleting the thread will not improve the impression people have on the company.

if the company has a view and they have a product to sell they will lose some customers, gain some.
                that's the way the market will work. if more people stick to the product then the company will do well.
                in what way deleting the thread will help?
                so to go back to the point of this thread
                Last edited by GGandhi; 06-29-2013, 12:25 PM.
                thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                mysql backend
                http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                [email protected]
                1 914 924 5171

Comment

Pete,

I am merely asking a question.

Numerous threads have been taken down, so I am seeking clarification of what is and is not permissible.

This bulletin board ... essentially "social media" ... is slowly being strangled, sometimes by seemingly arbitrary decisions from those who hold the keys.

This is not a good situation!
                  Sorry to disagree with you, but I don't see this "bulletin board" as "social media". It is a location and source where people needing help with Alpha can come and get answers from very helpful and supportive individuals as well as staff members at Alpha. What is not a good situation is to abuse the generosity of these good people, by posting some pretty self serving comments that are negative in nature. Pretty simple from where I see things.

Again, I think the answer to your question can be found when posts are taken down. Go over the line of polite discussion and or harsh criticism and the posts will disappear. No big secret there, in my opinion.

As to the comment about being democratic, I say this. Alpha is a company not a government entity. If you don't like what Alpha does you have the choice to go somewhere else with your money and business interests. That is the good thing about private business. Since when is a business entity "democratic"?
                  Last edited by trackmanpete; 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM.
                  "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

Per Wikipedia ...

"Social media refers to the means of interactions among people in which they create, share, and exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks".

Per Merriam-Webster Dictionary ...

"forms of electronic communication (as Web sites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (as videos)"

Comment

In the past, Alpha has said it doesn't monitor the Forum. Unfortunately it was hijjacked to an extent and held hostage because some legitimate questions were not answered and there didn't seem to be any other medium to vent the anger some users had built up.
                      It would be easier, and I have suggested it, that an alternnative place to have arguments with Alpha is created. The Forum should be so we can ask questions related to the use of the product as it is, and not as we would like it to be. That is a separate issue.
                      If you are unhappy with the service, either move on or ask for your money back. If you feel you have been mis-sold, take it up with Richard direct. He is quite approachable, and before I am accused of bias, he and I have had battles before.

On to business plans. As Marcel said, a plan can be made to infer anything. I know because I have prepared quite a few with hefty cash requirements and got the bank buy in. Just because they have an investor - and we are all investors- this does not mean that a business plan is a given.

Anyway, who here would put up $1000 to join in and take a punt on Alpha coming through and risk losing it? I would if there was a payback agreement. Trouble is, you have to stop grumbling and contribute to the plan and help make it happen. Then you are a real investor!
                      See our Hybrid Option here;
                      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

As to the comment about being democratic, I say this. Alpha is a company not a government entity. If you don't like what Alpha does you have the choice to go somewhere else with your money and business interests. That is the good thing about private business. Since when is a business entity "democratic"?
                        the comment is not about the company but the policy regarding the forum.
                        either you let people post or censor. allow only when it supports your company and randomly take down without any major provocation is what i see now.

you can obviously screen all the posts allow only those accepted. no one knows about censoring.
                        still paul's question is valid. someone has to formulate the rules, then there will be less controversy (possibly)
                        thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                        mysql backend
                        http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                        [email protected]
                        1 914 924 5171

Comment

I installed the runtime on a clean system as I am working on a work queue processor; it only asked for the runtime license key, no activation whatsoever. I think that indeed you got bad downloadlinks, I've seen other people here that had the same issue (with their developer copy)
                          give a bit f daylight. Runtime does not need activation, it is a free to distribute app. Developer needs activation that ties it to the machine installed on.

You can install a license key file in the folder or export and import registry settings for alpha runtime or put it in manually as stated.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

lol! Paul!

I'm a fellow Texan and I couldn't agree more!

After seeing a previous discussion thread vanish, that was the nail on the coffin for me. You can't have it both ways Alpha - positive and negative (at least those that have merit) comments should be preserved.

Instead of addressing its customer's concerns, Alpha seems to find it more convenient to ignore and censor. Touching on the cemetery analogy, I plan to do just that - I'll stop by and check out a few discussions and be on my way. No need to participate given that any contribution could be arbitrarily removed.

Read this while it lasts... let the countdown begin....

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                              give a bit f daylight. Runtime does not need activation, it is a free to distribute app. Developer needs activation that ties it to the machine installed on.

You can install a license key file in the folder or export and import registry settings for alpha runtime or put it in manually as stated.

I asked customer service for my license numbers and the download links. Nearly 2 weeks later, still had not received, the so I emailed Brett. HE talked to CS and told me if I didn't get them by days end to let him know. I waited an extra day and emailed Brett again. He sent eh download links and the license numbers, one for each, AA, AA-RT and the App Server. Brett said these license numbers would be good for the official release as well. Downloaded but the license numbers would not activate, I'm not sure which is worse, the documentation or customer service. No company will survive poor customer service. After all, they represent the company and the company's image. Why would I want to recommend Alpha and run the risk of poor customer service. After all, that scenario is a reflection on me as well and I don't need or want ta=hat. I can't afford that loss of my reputation. Can you?
                              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
                                I asked customer service for my license numbers and the download links. Nearly 2 weeks later, still had not received, the so I emailed Brett. HE talked to CS and told me if I didn't get them by days end to let him know. I waited an extra day and emailed Brett again. He sent eh download links and the license numbers, one for each, AA, AA-RT and the App Server. Brett said these license numbers would be good for the official release as well. Downloaded but the license numbers would not activate, I'm not sure which is worse, the documentation or customer service. No company will survive poor customer service. After all, they represent the company and the company's image. Why would I want to recommend Alpha and run the risk of poor customer service. After all, that scenario is a reflection on me as well and I don't need or want ta=hat. I can't afford that loss of my reputation. Can you?
                                Ken - we constantly get emails from customers praising the company for customer service - if you had a bad experience then let me know, but please dont extrapolate from that and draw generalized and inaccurate conclusions. We are human and do strive to keep the number of customer service mistakes to a minimum.
                                Richard Rabins
                                Co Chairman
                                Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                                X