Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Guidelines for posting threads

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guidelines for posting threads

Can someone at AS please outline what is and is not permitted on discussion threads?

Numerous threads get removed, many times without an apparently obvious transgression of "the rules" ... whatever those rules may be!

The value of any discussion board increases when subscribers can freely state their views and the existing posting guidelines unfortunately appear to be a little unhelpful regarding what is and is not permitted.

Re: Guidelines for posting threads

See Announcements, first sticky post. However that is for us Moderators, not necessarily the owners. Most of the removed discussions, I believe, and i think Alpha even believes, contain valuable discussion and opinion.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      Most of the removed discussions, I believe, and i think Alpha even believes, contain valuable discussion and opinion.
      Steve is exactly right. There used to be an old communist joke: We East Europeans have peace alright - the peace of a cemetery (okay, it's not that funny, but if you lived under communism...).

Anyway, if Alpha keeps deleting threads like this, they may be left with a cemetery. Killing free & open discussion, regardless of whether it's about pricing, time-bombs or Alpha policy is NOT helping Alpha one bit, no matter what they may believe. And I have been as loyal a customer as any - having bought almost every product and every version they have ever sold - for over 20 years!

And BTW: for 20-years Alpha never deleted anything! - until the last 6-months or so.
      Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 06-28-2013, 11:38 PM. Reason: Addenedum
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I have already seen that post, Steve.

Again, the value of any discussion board depends on an open dialog being fostered among subscribers.

If that is not possible and threads keep disappearing due to some arbitrary system of censorship or paranoia, then it becomes pointless making an effort to contribute or even read!

As Peter says, you end up with a "cemetery" of sorts.

(I too have been a customer ... starting with A4 ... since the mid-1980s).
        Last edited by Paullm; 06-28-2013, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Alpha has just released Alpha Anywhere and we can download and test it and from release notes everybody can read all the new features.
          So now we know what future looks with Alpha Anywhere (at least two years from now). Nothing unclear here.

Now we also know the pricing. Subscription is the only way to buy. So nothing unclear here. Deployment license needed. Nothing unclear here either.

All the facts are available. As a customer point of view it is too late to change anything.

Lets just concentrate to the development and forget opinions for awhile. It is time to relax.

Comment

And BTW: for 20-years Alpha never deleted anything! - until the last 6-months or so.
            It was about a year ago.

I don't much care anymore. Getting myself ready for a whole new world. Seems the new/changed pricing is not going to happen.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
              Steve is exactly right. There used to be an old communist joke: We East Europeans have peace alright - the peace of a cemetery (okay, it's not that funny, but if you lived under communism...).

Anyway, if Alpha keeps deleting threads like this, they may be left with a cemetery. Killing free & open discussion, regardless of whether it's about pricing, time-bombs or Alpha policy is NOT helping Alpha one bit, no matter what they may believe. And I have been as loyal a customer as any - having bought almost every product and every version they have ever sold - for over 20 years!

I would say that is one piece of evidence that shows that Alpha may be going in "full panic mode" right now. It sees it has manoeuvred themselves in a tricky situation and it does not know a way out yet. Hence in blind panic it is deleting threads as a symbol for deleting threats to Alpha.

Several things are clear: taking in that many high-payroll-position employees is going to propel costs upward like crazy. Especially in times of economical crisis. Costs that we all will have to pay. Alpha is filled up with CEO's, CTO's, Presidents and a truckload of Vice-Presidents who all want to drive "a Mercedes" on our expense. That is enough to pull almost ANY Business Plan sideways for ANY small company. For such a small company I would say it's almost laughable. There are more chiefs than foot soldiers. And sales of v12 seem to have stuck (which does not surprise me a bit). At some point, this must lead to internal frictions and feelings of panic.

The number of posts for desktop in the v12 forum shows that virtually nobody from the old desktop developers is upgrading to v12. There even aren't new customers in effective numbers asking questions. The reason for that is clear to me: Alpha has failed to built in strong points of sale for v12 for the desktop crowd, OR it fails to "sell" the new features to that group, which happens to be the roots-customer group of Alpha. That is a dire mistake. Any company wanting to expand operations has to cherish it's roots customer group since otherwise it will have no fall-back if things do not go as planned. There have been many reasonable questions on this board with regards to "what is new for the desktop in v12" but none were answered to satisfaction. Only with advertising language like "huge amount of work" and stuff like that you would expect in any average toothpaste commercial. That does not work with developers. We want facts. And after those questions popped-up, what did Alpha do to answer them? Nothing. I find that rather amazing. To me, it starts to look like roadrunner running full speed towards a cliff.

Alpha needs to step back on its footprints until the exact moment it went wrong and decide for a new course. Painful maybe, but necessary and life-saving.

If I were Alpha, I would start forming a "customer advisory board" to ensure that the voice of the customer does not get killed (like it is now) but heard instead. Alpha needs to understand that it builds products for its customers. Not for any virtual customer that may be attracted but is not in the house yet.

Unlike most here, I am not that in favor of taking in "experience of the past". In IT, nothing is about the past, it's all about the future. Like some enlightened brain here said a few days ago: they need to enroll bright and talented young people that may not know how things were done in the dark past, but that do have a vision of how things will be done tomorrow. Not because they reason from past experience, but because they are standing with one foot in the now, and one foot in the future. Google has made that philosophy to a type of Art and proves on a daily basis that it works. And by this I do not mean enroll talented young programmers who can dance the dance from the past. Instead of old rock-and-rollers or hippie-era managers we need sprankling young visioneers. Hard to find, yes, but because of that a priceless virtualizer for ANY IT company who has to be up in front of the line. Alpha has never done a good job of being in front of the line. It has never been a trend-setter but always a trend-follower. In due time.

Did I just delete this whole thread?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                It was about a year ago.

I don't much care anymore. Getting myself ready for a whole new world. Seems the new/changed pricing is not going to happen.
                Come on Dave. Of course it will. You know that as well as I do. There is not much that Alpha can change about that.
                Either it changes its pricing and licensing policy, or it ceases to exist. Current financial reserves are limited and will only stretch the policy of holding on to bad decisions for just so long.
                In the end, Alpha can steer it's ship in any direction they want, but the shore will stop the ship. It's all a matter of time and v11 offers us enough time to standby and watch the process.
                You have been around long enough to know this.

Comment

Having been away on contract (now finished) I only just came back into this last night.
                  The danger is that the analogy of the cemetery is true. The comments may go underground as there are other forums where Alpha is debated. Perhaps it might be better to have the contributors peeing out of the tent and not into it.

I'm still hopeful that there will be a solution to the pricing/subscription conundrum and that the growth pain for Alpha isn't too bad and doesn't affect my business too much.

However, all companies go through some form of upheaval as they grow and some may decide to cut the unprofitable parts out and dump the customers associated with those products.

Perhaps a more judicial type of editing will take place as opposed to the scatter gun (got 2 of these) approach to just deleting the posts which Alpha don't like.
                  We'll see.
                  See our Hybrid Option here;
                  https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                  You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mronck View Post
                    Unlike most here, I am not that in favor of taking in "experience of the past". In IT, nothing is about the past, it's all about the future.
                    And we already know the future (at least for two years). V12 is out. It is result of three years work as Richard has said.

Alpha Anywhere is not an one night decision from Alpha. They have a business plan. As always in the end the customers have the last word anyway. So lets not worry too much anymore. Lets give Alpha now peace that is what they have asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                      Having been away on contract (now finished) I only just came back into this last night.
                      The danger is that the analogy of the cemetery is true. The comments may go underground as there are other forums where Alpha is debated. Perhaps it might be better to have the contributors peeing out of the tent and not into it.

I'm still hopeful that there will be a solution to the pricing/subscription conundrum and that the growth pain for Alpha isn't too bad and doesn't affect my business too much.

However, all companies go through some form of upheaval as they grow and some may decide to cut the unprofitable parts out and dump the customers associated with those products.

Perhaps a more judicial type of editing will take place as opposed to the scatter gun (got 2 of these) approach to just deleting the posts which Alpha don't like.
                      We'll see.
                      Ted, if this forum represents the sales in some way, looking at the v12 forum, I see nothing growing but Alpha's costs. We can keep talking about growing scenarios but it is reality that rules the game.
                      Your existing customers, where you have done so much to get them in the house in the past, are your strongest and most important asset. Right now, that asset is neglected and that is a bad thing.
                      Is it influencing your business? If you are an Alpha Developer: yes. Of course. Maybe not now, but then tomorrow. Therefore you must act now, and not tomorrow since by then the harm has been done.

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                        ...Alpha Anywhere is not an one night decision from Alpha. They have a business plan...
                        That's what you say. I don't know about you, but I have been creating business plans by the hundreds as a former chartered accountant. Current research learns, that business plans seldomly come true to the extent their effectiveness is largely doubted now. One can present any business plan as one wishes and "prove" almost any scenario. It really says nothing but how optimistic the entrepreneur is. And believe me, when he needs to attract capital, he can be VERY optimistic. Reality has a tendency to take its own path.

Comment

They have a business plan because they have a new investor. They can't turn boat anymore. In a year we will see the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by mronck View Post
                            That's what you say. I don't know about you, but I have been creating business plans by the hundreds as a former chartered accountant. Current research learns, that business plans seldomly come true to the extent their effectiveness is largely doubted now. One can present any business plan as one wishes and "prove" almost any scenario. It really says nothing but how optimistic the entrepreneur is. And believe me, when he needs to attract capital, he can be VERY optimistic. Reality has a tendency to take its own path.

every good Businessplan states that you can not bet on a (1) horse and if you do not take into account other options for profit " instead of loss" in your own daily business , you're Omega.....

"Of je het leuk vindt of niet leuk vindt!!, Het is zo ...! (Nick en Simon)
                            Last edited by bea2701; 06-29-2013, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
                              They have a business plan because they have a new investor. They can't turn boat anymore. In a year we will see the reality.
                              If they can't the shore most certainly will. I agree that time will tell.

Most business plans would have 3 scenario's worked out: the "reasonable expectation", the "worst case scenario", and the "best case scenario". All of them is nothing more than building on quicksand since the future can't be written: it just unfolds. Either one of them could become reality, or something completely different. Most scenario's work on a ceterus paribus basis: comparisons that are valid when nothing else changes between the options. Problem is, that this mostly proves not to be the case: taking route 1 instead of 2 may change parameters that change the outcome by themselves: you may develop a business plan based on mobile and what it may bring, but if you forget to take your existing customers with you, at the blink of an eye you are depending on the "new customers" rather than that it is just a welcome factor of growth. As said before: reality finds its own way, we can not make an accurate calculation of the future. We can only make educated guesses. And those often fail.

Comment

Working...
                              X