Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Guidelines for posting threads - retry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guidelines for posting threads - retry

My original question was never answered ...

Can someone at AS please provide an overview of what is going to be permitted on this bulletin board and what their criteria is for removing or closing down threads?

This IS a genuine question, as DaveM's most recent thread ... market trends ... has been closed/locked, without any apparent reason.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Paullm; 06-30-2013, 12:23 PM.

Re: Guidelines for posting threads - retry

I also do not get why Marcel's recent post - with Marcel validly requesting enumeration of improvements to desktop in V12

GOT SUSPENDED.
    Would be more than nice to know, even if anything has been fixed from v10 and v11
    If not then whats the enticement for desktop customers?.

I looked at the suggested pages from Richard. Do a search for "desktop".
    Nothing except relating to web/mobile.

Excuse my ignorance here - but there is no longer a Runtime for distribution.
    Only Application Server on annual licence.
    My clients have mostly abandoned MS servers because of the annual licensing. they wont bite if I have to pass on that cost.

Comment

Hi Ray. 90 degrees here earlier!
      I will reply in a bit more detail when I have more facts, but essentially Paul, if your thread for a reasonable question gets pulled, as in the recent case, you will see that it was going off topic and mugged by Marcel - it could have been anyone though - who stepped a little over the line with a couple of cheap shots at the Alpha team who cannot easily reply. No one likes their company trashed, and although some of the comments are deeply felt, they are often charged with emotion brought about by frustration. Perhaps the offending comment could get deleted and not the whole thread?

From Ray's comment, V11 is the last one for me and I wish Alpha well with the new version which I cannot see making me enough money to live on. If I am forced to go the web route, and there is plenty of work on small to medium sized applications runing under V11Runtime using Optimisation, I will go with an app that people have heard of and not try and sell Alpha into an enterprise sized operation.
      If I have to give up on the years of learning Alpha it will be a pity so I'll be maximising my investment in V11.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I think I had a very strong influence on the thread being pulled as did 2 other people. 3 of us had post deleted from that one. I could understand 2 of the three. Mine being one of the 2.

I am 100% with Ted. Sad part is, while v11 is great for right now, how will it do in the next windows OS and the next one?

I cannot sell a 1900.00 was and still make money. Ide here is that I charge 100 per hour actual work time that gets diluded with research and say 100 hours of chargeable time = 10000.00 and add 1900 for was = 11900. That project can be done in other tools for the 10000.00 and I lose the bid. It is simple math. My actual time including some research, turning the computer on, and other regular mundane stuff like advertising, hardware costs, consumables, erodes to about 55.00 per hour. Now take away costs of operations and I am lucky at 25.00 an hour for every thing. I can sell cars and typically earn more per hour. If I absorb the cost of the was so I am competitive, that is 1900.00 out of the real 5500.00 i could have expected. and then take 100.00 out for the monthly I have to pay and it it comes to 3500 minus my costs. Costs are real. Then some whiz kid is sitting at home happy to make 10-12 an hour takes the bid. When iit comes to people in India and other countries that are willing to do it for a fraction of that even because we buy bread for 1.50 a loaf and it costs them 10 cents.

I guess this will get deleted too.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

No way Dave.
          Nothing contentious in your comments. No bad words, no slagging off Alpha.
          My contract came to an acrimonious end so I'll be back on the software trail and fininshing the My Family app I started about a year ago!
          And there is always fishing and the R V.
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

A lot of the "business of consulting" discussion would fit very well over at the iadn forum. We talk about that all the time and complement it with live online discussion periodically. The live discussions are only for the paid Developer level members, but I could extend it to the lower fee Regular members too.

My take on the pricing model is that it is what it is, for now. It will change based on market reaction, but it will never go down in price enough to be "cheap" again. It does not matter if there are cheaper alternatives, there are also much more expensive solutions -- if those expensive solutions are flourishing then no reason Alpha cannot flurish as a medium expensive solution.

That does not mean that each of us will be able to adapt or survive/make money. Many of us will quit Alpha. You cannot really "stop" at v11 because your client will demand the latest or feel trapped with "old" technology, even though we all know v11 is perfectly adequate for most applications.

BTW, I have seen the new pricing for existing customers and believe it will be attractive to some and a non-benefit to others.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Provided a place, I would appreciate it and have offered the same on one of my sites. They all got deleted and no one took me up on the offer.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Whether you post here or on iadn depends on if you want an Alpha audience or not. At iadn unlikely Alpha will take the time to look and the posts are not public at all. I won't delete unless really necessary. Iadn"s mission is to helo us all make a buck regardless Alpha's pricing or whether you deliver Desktop, Web or Mobile and regardless of what version you use (although mission includes bringing Developers to the most current version.)
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

The only things I would delete is spam, personal attacks and foul language. Make sense?
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

The criteria for deletion or closing/locking of threads appears to be a bit more random than is suggested above.

In the most recent two examples that come to mind ...

1. Dave posted asking about new pricing. I responded, as did Richard. I was gone later in the day, but when I returned here, the thread was gone.

2. Dave posted "market trends", to which, Richard posted a link ... then the thread was closed! I have reviewed Dave's content and do not see anything contentious.

so ... I have to ask ...

why?

Comment

You cannot really "stop" at v11 because your client will demand the latest or feel trapped with "old" technology, even though we all know v11 is perfectly adequate for most applications.
                      I would say that most clients do not know or even care what is "under the hood" of their application. They are mostly looking for cost effective solutions to run their business. They are looking for a result ... not a tool.

There are still many DOS machines around ... along with DOS applications. The same will apply to Windows XP, A5 V7...V8...V9...V10, etc.
                      Last edited by Paullm; 07-01-2013, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Two points to clarify.

1) there is a runtime for v12 for deploying desktop applications and it comes included with a v12 development license.

2) pricing on alpha anywhere /v12 for EXISTING customers will be announced early this week - you will find significant breaks for existing customers
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

The only things I would delete is spam, personal attacks and foul language. Make sense?
                          It would still be 100% up to me what to delete (its good to be the king.)
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Facebook, Twitter or similar would be best!

Comment

All kidding aside, yes something like that. However, "personal attacks" can mean different things to different people. I would not allow IADN to become a center for acrimony, but I be glad to host constructive discussion even if it had some sharp edges once in a while.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X