Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Progress from one off Alpha Five application into selling as a commercial entity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress from one off Alpha Five application into selling as a commercial entity

Hi,

Bit of background, while having limited programming/IT skills I designed and developed a v11 web application for my current employer that took ERP data into a SQL server database and categorized that data, allowed for users to quickly review and analyse the issues along with some workflow elements(escalate to other people/teams on issues etc) and some reporting elements. It got great feedback internally and I have now shown to some external people who feel that it may solve issues faced by their own companies and potentially others.

So I'm considering whether to attempt to bring this on further as a standalone product. I have concerns mainly stemming from my lack of technical knowledge about how I would do this with Alpha v11. Up to now, I have the Application server running through the same instance as my Developer display. How do I start deploying a solution to other companies? Would it be a case of changing the settings such as Database connection strings in Developer, saving this and putting onto their server along with a new Application Server licence? Is there a way to package your app so that when you install a new instance of it each new user can specify thier specifics such as database connection strings, URL (and I'm sure a host of other things I haven't even started to think about)

In summary, I'm looking for any pointers/information on to change from being someone who used Alpha Five v11 once to being someone who would actually start selling my Alpha Five solution to others.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by incremental; 10-03-2013, 03:07 PM.

Re: Progress from one off Alpha Five application into selling as a commercial entity

Hi Dave or John,

If this works for your situation, the easiest method is for you to remain in control, you publish a copy for each new customer all to the same server, each with a different Instance of the web server, different IP, and domin address pointing to that IP, etc. You would maintain the SQL database, and alter the connection string for each customer. If all customer applications are exactly the same, you could even just maintain the one master copy, but have a different publishing profile for each customer and set the connection string in that profile. (The publishing profile is where you set the connection string parameters).

Also, since you built this as an employee, be sure you hash out your rights for the program with your employer. Technical, if you were an employee while you built it, it belongs to your employer. Get an attorney (really) to draft that agreement and any master agreement you might have with potential customers <-- don't skip this part.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Re: Progress from one off Alpha Five application into selling as a commercial entity

Thanks Steve, I had initially thought that customers would install this on their own internal servers but I can see your point. The move to cloud is now standard, I just need to educate myself on providing assurance on data security.

I get you on the Intellectual Property, the idea was completely mine and the application I have written for them is bespoke to them. I would be doing a complete re-write on my own time/hardware for any resale. All that said if I continue forward with this it's an important area to get squared away.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

Comment

If the customers deploy on their own servers then at least two options:
        • If they have a full copy of Alpha Five Developer and are given access to the code, then they can publish on their own and manage the connection string.
        • If they are not to have full access to code, you can still publish from your location to their internal server, either via FTP if physical environment and permissions allow, or by publishing local (your machine) to a temp folder location, and then sending them the entire contents of that folder.

The server file that holds the connection string and other server-related constants, is named a5_application.a5i. You will see the connection string(s) either plain text or encrypted. You can edit the file and replace the encrypted string with the plain text version. Note that a5_application.a5i is always replaced every time any file is published to the server.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

There is a LOT more to selling software than banking the cheque.
          Who will run the help desk
          How will bugs be fixed
          Who will do the training
          Who will do the enhancements - there will be enhancement requests, believe me!
          Who will do the implementation

If you get your employer on side, he may assist with this, else you are out on the "after 5.00 pm" limb.

It's a great opportunity, but there are other thing like User Licenses - EULA - and contractual obligations, so I wish you well, however the bit you have done is the easy bit. The rest is not nearly as much fun.
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

+1 for Ted's reply
            Cheers!
            Lyle Chamney
            http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
            Websites rebuilt with WordPress
            http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
            Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
            http://snifflevalve.com
            WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

Hi guys,

Wise words and it is something I have made a mistake on before when I developed a simple website for a charity organisation.

I am very much at a feasibility study stage with this, doing market research with a number of companies to see if there is a potential demand for what I'm thinking of.

I also don't believe I possess all the skills to bring this to market and am also very unsure if Alpha is the platform to develop a commercial concern on. From my limited viewpoint, Alpha is an excellent tool for the Bespoke application especially internal company applications but given the hosting costs/complications is it the right tool to develop a web app for multiple companies/users??

I've got a lot of research and learning to do :)

Thanks

Comment

Alpha Desktop is solid as a rock.
                Can't confirm Web side but Steve could. Might be wotth a PM to him.
                See our Hybrid Option here;
                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

When you enter into a website application, the clients are going to want: "cloud", ability to change images, ability to change words, etc. Other than the information in the database, there is little they can do in a website built in alpha without the programmer do a lot of setup work in advance. A smart developer charges a yearly/monthly fee for upkeep and changes based on hourly so the site does not get real bad real fast.

Client and developer is a marriage of sorts. Neither needs to keep secrets from the other and they have to depend on one another to pull their load.

Selling something on the web is a skill set all it's own. There are various software packages and companies that just do SEO work. The good ones are not cheap, but without either the knowledge or the money, it gets to be a hard road.

There is also the try before you buy. Letting the potential client use the software for 90 days works real good. Why 90 days? He gets used to it, has his data in it and does not want to give that up because he has learned to depend on it. This is good for packaged applications.

I have many client sites on the weband most are corporate where there are no pictures and you have to sign in just to get to the work pages. The largest will have about 3200 workers on it all day long for 5 days a week.

I am just trialing alpha right now and already know from the threads on here and testing that it will not be a primary tool. I could use some tax write offs though.

Glad I read this post because not having tried to distribute an alpha website, I had no idea that it does not compile into a file that can be simply ported to a hosted site and installed. To understand how most apps are distributed, go to a host control panel and click an app like drupal or word press. In a couple of minutes it is on your site and set up ready to go.
                  Last edited by Skipperj; 10-10-2013, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X