Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Components on Desktop

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Components on Desktop

Originally posted by Ted Giles
    however as you may have noticed, many are wandering off to other toolkits.
    I think that you are maybe talking about desktop developers here? If so you are absolutely right.

I have never understand why there is no planned way from Alphas desktop to Web side. I suppose there is huge amount of developers in desktop side but Alphas has not succeed to give them the root to the web development. It is good to notice here that you can use dbf in web side but it is very difficult to sell a system that uses dbf as a public web backend.

In version 9 there where talks about using web components in desktop but as Marcel (banned) and Ken has pointed out these components were not at all ready for production even with version 11 (12?). So no future.

But is this really end of story here with Alpha. Because of the subscription model now dominating with Alpha and different offers here is a some lacking in what developers really thing.

I have decided not to go in any subscription model what comes to server. Risky business. The subscription model is not problem with software but with server is it.

I hope you Ted will stay with this message board and I am very sad that Marcel is not any more here. Unbelievable that his opinions does not mean anything in Alpha world.

Re: What Is The Cost Of Paid Alpha Support?

using web components in desktop
    This works perfectly. I have a very robust "web components in Desktop" application. All web components, run using Alpha RUNTIME as a Desktop app.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      This works perfectly. I have a very robust "web components in Desktop" application. All web components, run using Alpha RUNTIME as a Desktop app.
      My comment was based Marcel Sep 5, 2013 at 1:59pm. Good to know you got it working.

Comment

I have a very robust "web components in Desktop" application. All web components, run using Alpha RUNTIME as a Desktop app.
        I would be obliged if you could elaborate Steve.
        * Which version of Alpha
        * What components - I presume not everything, just the grids?
        * How did you deploy - what installer did you use?
        * What is the application - just the gist of it will be helpful.

@ Ken. I'll be sticking around in one form or another for a while.

Like you - and we are going off thread here - I will not subscribe to the new pricing model. I don't like the costs and I don't like the need for a WAS license as well.
        The product as I use it is too expensive, so it might be worth $900 for V12 with 12 months of updates ( or until the next one comes along) to a new customer, but as I use DT mainly, it's just too expensive. Add the cost of the WAS if I was going to venture deeply into the web stuff and it's uncompetitive and caused me to look elsewhere, which I wouldn't have countenanced in the past 20 years of using AS.

If the documentation is incorrect, then trying to get something to work make you think you are the problem, so you seek support. If it turns out that the docs. are incorrect then this is the same as a bug and should not be paid for. How would anyone at AS like to use a SatNav with a corrupt database?

Marcel had many good comments, although I have crossed swords with him on and outside of the Alpha Forum. Both he and Dave Mason were banned and can be found elsewhere and are contactable. They both still use AS BTW. Anyone needing their details, just PM me.

Now all we need is a comment from the original questioner.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Here is a quick video on the "WCD" application (web components on Desktop). I deliver it using my installer of choice, Actual Installer 4.8 Pro.

http://www.screencast.com/t/c9pqRIs6Nc
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thank you Steve.

Please excuse my ignorance.
            Why would one develop - other than for the sake of doing it - a DT app which is slower in operation?
            I must be missing something and don't see the USP in this. Not the app, the use of Web components.

Does the app have an SQL back end or a DBF back end?
            If it's DBF, I have a long standing mailshot app (1997) which takes CSV/Excel imported data over the internet and creates a functional database with update, mail-out, labels etc.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not knocking your product. I would never presume. I like the approach and appreciate the time you have taken to create the video.

I just don't understand the benefits, but then I'm not that close to web development.

The USP would be? Why would I buy it done this way?

Comment

Thanks Steve.

I have a couple of questions if you or someone else is willing and able to answer--
              1) I've only done web apps, so I haven't even used the Runtime version of Alpha. Can you clarify that by "Unlimited Runtime" that means it can be installed on an unlimited number of computers?
              2) Would it be difficult to run off a local SQL database rather than dbf? Would you be able to package that with an installer?
              3) Would it be possible to run the same components from a server if an internet connection was available and run locally if not, using a dynamic connection string? (Obviously the data itself would have to be synced as well).

Thanks all.

Comment

Why WCD (web components on desktop) - because I know how to build web apps, not Desktop (any longer). Also because, even though it was developed in DBF, it will be revised as SQL and I don't want to use Active Link tables. Also as everyone has been saying, the Desktop side is not advancing as fast as the web/mobile side and I want to use components (web) that are now and going forward, state of the art.

It is DBF for now because I built it in a hurry and it just got directed that way. But fully intend to revise as SQL now that it has passed approval. I have converted many DBF apps to SQL and know it is a pretty quick conversion.

"Runlimited Runtime" means you purchase the Runtime once and then can distribute your application(s) to as many clients as desired without additional cost.

Chris, your question 3 does not really apply because the nature of the Runtime is that it is NOT an Internet application. It must be run locally, so the database would most likely be on the same LAN. The fact that Runtime cannot support a true Internet app means it will not replace having to use (and purchase) the Web App Server for multi-client web apps.

There is a discussion board here just for WCD if interested: http://forum.alphadevnet.com/index.php?board=124.0
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve. On the local vs WAS question, I'm just wondering if you couldn't deploy the same components to both the localhost and a web server so that the user experience is the same regardless of internet connection. They'd just have to work with local data when offline but could work with live data when online. And on your intention to port to SQL, do you anticipate challenges deploying that to local machines? And what type of database do you plan to use (MS, MySQL, etc)?

Comment

Originally posted by christappan View Post
                    Thanks Steve. On the local vs WAS question, I'm just wondering if you couldn't deploy the same components to both the localhost and a web server so that the user experience is the same regardless of internet connection. They'd just have to work with local data when offline but could work with live data when online. And on your intention to port to SQL, do you anticipate challenges deploying that to local machines? And what type of database do you plan to use (MS, MySQL, etc)?
                    There is no Internet involved! It will not run on the Internet at all. It is a Desktop application.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

There is no Internet involved! It will not run on the Internet at all. It is a Desktop application.
                      It would be nice to have Marcel to comment this but it is not possible anymore. Sad.

But here is his opinion:

" Had they embraced WCD a bit more, the user could have migrated ANY WCD application to the Web with just a few adaptations. It really is a shame and it shows how little vision folks over there actually have."
                      Last edited by kkfin; 10-17-2013, 04:16 PM. Reason: the phrase folks over there means Alpha not Steve in anyway

Comment

It is up to the inventive user base to embrace WCD, which is the way it should be. Yes one can port a WCD app over to full web, but you still have to build the app. Its not any less work to build it to deploy as WCD so what is the point, how does that equate to lack of vision? I would never make a statement like that because the two are disconnected, not associated, the one does not follow the other.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

It is up to the inventive user base to embrace WCD, which is the way it should be. Yes one can port a WCD app over to full web, but you still have to build the app. Its not any less work to build it to deploy as WCD so what is the point, how does that equate to lack of vision? I would never make a statement like that because the two are disconnected, not associated, the one does not follow the other.
                          Well Marcel is banned. So anybody else has opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by iRadiate View Post
                            Can we move the web vs desktop discussion to a new thread please?
                            Web vs desktop: What are you talking about?

Here is desktop to web going on.

Comment

Re: Web Components on Desktop

Lol!
                              I have an opinion, but it will get me banned as well!
                              The other option is known as a Webtop. This uses Web structure and works on either a web based server or locally. One toolkit, no separate WAS required. Bit like the promised IIS approach.

@ Steve. I appreciate your honesty that you are more comfortable with the web side of AS.
                              The application of WCD seems to be more of an academic exercise than a practical one. But if it floats you boat.....

Comment

Working...
                              X