Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

No Interest Student Loan Management System Built with Alpha Anywhere and MS SQL server - Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Interest Student Loan Management System Built with Alpha Anywhere and MS SQL server - Article

ApplicationAllStars is coming, the early steps have been taken and the work is underway. We would welcome the people post or share their apps there when its finished. Our hope is that it will be not only a nice way to showcase your apps, but also show the kind of work you are doing and capable of producing. In turn we think that will generate business for independent developers regardless of platform.

In looking at this we see it as a niche that has been overlooked for the independent developer community. Keep a good thought, its coming, and unlike HealthCare.gov those involved want it to work at roll-out. :)
    Last edited by jkwrpc; 11-12-2013, 03:21 PM. Reason: added clarification
    Regards,

John W.
    www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Re: No Interest Student Loan Management System Built with Alpha Anywhere and MS SQL server - Article

I just asked a couple involved and it looks like the aim is for december 1 this year. They could not guarantee that, but said it could be sooner. There appears to be a lot to do yet for the site, store and developer community.

Could be well worth it.

Comment

FYI - there are over a hundred Alpha apps on display at www.iadn.com and several for sale in the store. Anyone can add their applications there and, if for sale, get included in announcements.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve for Alpha Developers that is good to know. I am sure some will take advantage of it. I will say we are looking at creating something a bit different and for independent developers of all platforms.
          Regards,

John W.

Comment

Yes I remember the discussion from awhile ago. And IADN is only for Alpha developers for sure (although we discuss ALL competitive software platforms on our Forum.).

I know you know this, and hopefully no one here will take offense, but most developer-built applications are not marketable as ready-to-go applications. It is a significant leap to go from building something for yourself or even your company, to having something you can sell, support, document, etc.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Make sure, I am not taking up anybody's side if it is thought of that way.

You are right in every case steve, but most developers started out building something for themselves.
              There is a market out there for code snippets, code to be written, and complete off the shelf apps. If I were to develope an alpha app, I would put it in your store and expect some good results, but I may also place it in several other stores hoping for some results there as well.

I just ried the url again and it is interesting. Seems this is in infancy. Hope they do some real good SEO for their sakes.

Comment

Hi Edhy,

Originally posted by Progytech View Post
                Hi Doron,
                Thanks for the posting, your application looks pretty good and clean, I like the mail merge facility with the implementation of the CKEditor.
                Can you explain what is the logic behind the mail merge process shown here?
                Thanks!!!
                As you see in the image below the Template tables holds all documents with or without any merged Place Holders. You can create as many unique templates as needed. Then modify the text via the CKEditor version 4 or add or remove any Place Holder from the drop down list.

Basically I used a grid for the CKEditor and the Detail view for the editor.

The actual process is a little involved on the database side. When you ran the report based on date range or loan number, it will call a stored procedure first that will load the document into a variable from the Templates table and then replace all Place Holders with the fields� value and insert that into the MergeDocument table.
                The report will display the data from the MergedDocument table.

I created a parameters form using the UX component for that purpose. You can hide and show the parameters. Check this link and scroll down and see how you select different report from one parameter form via the drop down list. Everything is data driven.

The administrator has the capability to add as many Place Holders as needed as simple data entry form. The user can document each Place Holder.
                So basically you can have one report with different type of content per each run.

I am using for every database that I design a data modelling tool named xCase and the below was taken from the entire data modeling that was created for the application. The data design tool is another subject on its own.

Templates.png

Regards,

Doron
                The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Web site: http://www.dFarber.com
                MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
                Convert Ms Access to Web
                MS SQL Remote DBA
                Alpha Five Development

Comment

Skipper - the site is under construction. When its ready we will let people know.

Steve - I think the key is keeping in mind that what an independent developer really sells is their developer skills. By giving them a place to showcase their apps potential clients can see those skills. These do not have to be apps that are for sale. They can show particular solutions they created for customers and hopefully draw in new customers. For those that offer off the shelf solutions,shareware,or freeware it is at least one other place they can promote it or give it away.

At this point there is no need to over think or analyze what is being proposed. Like many things it will morph a few dozen times between now and roll-out.
                  Regards,

John W.

Comment

Doron has been scheduled to Showcase the Student Loan product live in early December via IADN. No specific date yet. Please register at the IADN website (below) to get the invite.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

I just watched the video and think it is very good, however there are many things covered in it that have been questions, by others, in the forums which Doron obviously knows the answer to but has either missed or chosen to ignore.

Obviously with 28 posts in nearly 2 years he is learning from this forum but not sharing what he has learnt.

Comment

Hi Lance,

Your conclusions are wrong since I did not spend that much of a time on the forums that you might think. Let me clarify some things for you so you can sleep at night.

I did not learn how to develop application from this forum. My style is the School of Hard Knocks. The first step for a successful application is the database and if you check my web site I provide database services. Making all the algorithm and calculations within the database frees me to focus on the A5 as the user interface. That was the only learning curve I had when started A5.

I learned by watching videos and trial and error and discussing some issues with my peer. But despite of that I contributed to the A5 community by writing articles and see below links:

1. Database Development with Alpha Five v11 and MS SQL Server: Using Linking/Control Tables

2. When the proverbial needle has to be found and the haystack is very large, Alpha Five and SQL Server are a perfect solution

3. How to Create Meaningful, Unique Batch Numbers with Alpha Five v11 and MS SQL Server

4. No Interest Student Loan Management

5. Visual FoxPro Developers Looking to Build Mobile and Web Apps are Turning to Alpha Anywhere

6. From Visual FoxPro to Alpha Five via .NET

If you want to learn more about the techniques I used in the No Interest Loans application, register via IADN as Steve Wood mentioned above.

Regards,

Doron

Convert Ms Access to Web
                        MS SQL Remote DBA
                        Alpha Five Development
                        Last edited by DoronF; 11-13-2013, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I am sorry Doron, I have looked back at your posts and it appears you do post some informative articles.

I am not interested in the techniques, because like you I learn by trial and error, then resort to this forum for help.

There have been several queries/problems on here that I am sure you have the answers to. This thread where Carol is asking about the style of cheque report you show in your video for instance.

Comment

Hi Lance,

Carol managed to fix the Check problem report, so it seems all is good.

Regards,

Doron

Convert Ms Access to Web
                            MS SQL Remote DBA
                            Alpha Five Development

Comment

Thanks Doron

Comment

Although you probably all saw this, Doron is presenting his application via IADN Showcase at Noon (EST) this coming Tues Dec 10. See: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...IADN-next-week.
                                Steve Wood
                                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                                X