Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Export Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export Database

I am trying to export an Alpha version 4 database into either excel or access. Preferably access. The home screen or main menu of Alpha shows somewhere around 54,000 records in the top right corner of the screen. When I export the database into a DBF, DIF, or some of the other options for different types of files, it only exports a portion of the database because when I load it into excel just to take a look at all the records, it only shows around 8,000 something records and the most recent seemed to have been entered in 2011, even though this is a program we use almost daily. So there should be more recent records. Can anyone explain to me why this is happening?

Thanks.

Re: Export Database

Why not open the DBF directly from Access?
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Samething. Most recent records are for 2011. There should be 2013 records.

Comment

Suggestion.
        Copy just the 2013 records from the table into a new table. Try and export that new table to Excel.
        You may have hit upon a limitation in A4 or one in your Excel sheet.
        I hope you are not confusing Tables and Databases. You need to export the Table.
        You haven't got a Filter on the table or a current Query have you?

Comment

I have no idea. I am not very familiar with Alpha to begin with. The guy who created this database is long gone from the office and nobody really uses Alpha in our office except for entering data into it. I took the initiative to look further in the Utilities to see if there was an export option and there I found a few different file types to export to but I have no idea exactly what its doing. I just follow the steps and try to make it save the exported file to the desktop so I can then email that file to myself then go to another computer to download the file to a newer computer that runs better. Then I just tried opening it with Excel since I am most familiar with Excel.

If you are talking about the filter system in Access then no, I do not have any filters running. In fact I just use the DBF file and directly try to open it in Excel or Access and they look identical. They always show only up to 2011 records. So I'm not sure why its not transferring the more recent stuff as well. Like I mentioned before, it says on the main menu screen in Alpha 4, there are 54,000 records. Not sure if thats accurate as I'm not sure they the clerks sometimes delete records but they don't make the record counter go down, but its only transferring 8,000 records.

Can I have a step by step process on exporting the whole table/database from Alpha into a compatible file to Excel/Access? This would be very helpful. Thank you.

Comment

Also wanted to mention that not only when I open it up in Excel it shows the 8,000 records as clear as day, but I notice that when I am on the Transfer in Progress screen in Alpha, I can see the counter representing the amount of records being transferred and the counter goes up pretty fast but I usually always see it stop at around 8,000 before its completed so I know thats all is being exported. Yet when you do a query/index to find a record, you are able to find recent records in 2013 that the clerk might have entered a couple days ago. So its in there but its not exporting. Makes no sense to me.

Comment

I don't have V4 on any machine here now, as it is really old. My Alpha 4 book shows a host of limitations to exporting data. Do you have the original book that shipped with Alpha? That is the only real help you will get with that version.

Easiest way is to zip the dbf file you want to work with, send it to me privately and I'll see if I can let you have it back as an Excel file. I have no interest in your data and have secure measures on my machines as I do work for the Government. My e-mail address is shown below.

An alternative would be to download a trial version of Alpha Five V12, load it onto the machine, start it, open the dbf file you want to work with (you need to choose a different option from the drop down - not the default as that will search for an ADB file and you won't have one) and export it from there using the Export function in V12.

Comment

Working...
              X