Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Business Advice Needed Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Advice Needed Please

I've been working with Alpha 5 for almost 2 years now and feel like I am ready to hang up my own shingle on my door. What kind of advice would you recommend for someone just starting out? I was thinking of specializing in developing eCommerce applications. I have no advertising budget but I do have a nice site on my portfolio (http://ablejobs.us) that is entirely Alpha 5 driven. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Rapid Development, Training, Support
    http://data2web.network
    903-740-2549

Re: Business Advice Needed Please

Hanging a sign on the door is nice but it does require some fundamental basics that you might consider before you affix it with nails or perhaps crazy glue. Hehehe.

I found this article that might help you in these fundamentals. Actually there was a link on this board. Here is the url: http://forum.applicationallstars.com...ba4a803b89ffba

The author(s) give a pretty good rundown of what you might consider as a pricing schema, or minimally, a pretty good idea of what you might charge for the services rendered.

I must admit that I am somewhat confused about the focus of what the shingle reads. Are you planning on doing customized software or running a job site?

If the former then I don't understand the keywords you use: able jobs,available jobs,employment,resumes,job application,interview,longview,white oak

You might like to do some research on those words, minimally adding something like customized software, software, or whatever it is your shingle would read. Please don't forget to add some entries on the site that actually deal with those type of jobs.

For backlinks, you might like to write some articles and post them in various places. Ezine articles comes to mind as one possibility.

By all means, before you jump into the shingle stage, make sure you put together some plan that has realistic goals. Don't expect to make $100,000,000.00 the first year out. Detail your plan as much as possible for the entire year. Then, I recommend, throw it aside for a short time and return to it. You may be surprised at how much you forgot or perhaps didn't put in the plan.

Hope these few suggestions help.

Good luck.

Wayne

Comment

Michael,

Visit www.iadn.com and then call me to discuss what you want to do. I've been looking at low or no cost options to promote business and I already have a draft. You've done a great job with ablejobs.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

I'll invite you to call me as well. Send me an email at [email protected] and we'll set a time.

Alpha needs more more professional developers.
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you Wayne for the excellent advice. Ablejobs.us is an employment agency who hired me to create their site and incorporate eCommerce and back office applications. I developed ablejobs.us and globaljobscreening.com (click on the Employers tab). Ablejobs is the employment agency; globaljobscreening is the eCommerce branch. I am using these as examples of my work only.
          903-740-2549

Comment

Thank you Steve and Steve! You've both given me excellent help in the past and I certainly would not have gotten this far without you. I would be honored to be a part of IADN and will be sending those emails shortly.
            903-740-2549

Comment

Michael,

I would recommend you to focus on mobile, with alpha it now comes into reach of SMB's to let develop mobile applications. That is where the money is today I think. For e-commerce you'll bump into loads of competition with almost ready made solutions. Do something others aren't doing and you'll prosper.

Good luck!
              Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Thank you Frank, that was great advice and makes perfect sense. True, everyone is into eCommerce now. Thanks for reminding me of that. If you don't mind me asking, are you developing mobile and how are you getting your clients?
                903-740-2549

Comment

Hi Michael,

eCommerce will get you into steep competition with the commercial CMS available already. I will use A5 for straight database application and taking advantage of the mobile capability A5 has. You need also to have your own web site to advertise your services.. Where is it? This is how you get your clients. Do you have LinkedIn account? Then when you have your web site you are not done with it. Then comes SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Get yourself a domain that can be used as key word.

Regards,

Doron
                  The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Web site: http://www.dFarber.com
                  MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
                  Convert Ms Access to Web
                  MS SQL Remote DBA
                  Alpha Five Development
                  No Interest Loans Application
                  Last edited by DoronF; 02-28-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Thank you Doron for your excellent advice. I will be putting together a web site this weekend. Your idea about using a keyword for a domain name is priceless. I'm sure the best ones are taken, but I still have my college thesaurus that will help me find something clever. I'm also a Jersey native (Clifton) so its always nice to meet a kindred spirit!
                    903-740-2549

Comment

Hi Michael,

You built a very nice website there!

On the business side, Doron, Steve, Frank and Steve all know a great deal about that.

With no Budget, SEO will have to include very smart work and a lot of social submission and connection.

Let me toss my own name in as a contact at [email protected] . We can all talk to you as you wish and I suggest to write everything down and make your own decisions to which advice on each subject to go with. There are sometimes many roads that all lead to the same place.

Definitely a website of some type as a front and I think less than 60-70.00 at minimum per year. As one of the above stated, it becomes your store front.

The greatest "anything" would never have been sold if no one knew it existed and where to get it. Take any opportunity to place any demo, or product wherever there is a place. IADN does have a store as do many other places that people DO visit and if they see your product, it has a better chance to get into a buyers hands.

Linked, Facebook, Twitter, and many others will help get you launched. Site submission to all the search engines is not so great a deal, but still important since most sites are discovered before that they are evee online for over a few days by about all the robots(some not good).
                      Last edited by DaveM; 02-28-2014, 09:50 PM.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Wow, I am floored. You guys are the best and you compliment me. That's awesome.
                        My sister site to ablejobs.us is Global Job Screening, where the Alpha 5 fun is.
                        Here are some screens of the back office app and Employer's area:
                        back office.gifemployers-home-page.gifsearch grid.gif
                        903-740-2549

Comment

Here is one of those tools that will help you and others especially to let you know a bit about where you are so you can work to where you want to be.

http://www.domaintuno.com/
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Michael,

I'm a special kind of breed

In the SMB market (that is +/- 20-200 employees out here) you'll find that your first customer brings your 2nd customer & so on. Projects never end so with maybe 5 to 10 customers you'll make a good living as a one men show.
                            Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by DoronF View Post
                              Do you have LinkedIn account?
                              Beware of LinkedIn. They use deceptive practices. I have often received email from them saying that " " has recommended you for " ". One of those folks has a presence with Alpha Software as well as some on the Alpha forums. I have also received email from others saying I recommended them for this or that. I assured them that was not the case, that LinkedIn may have 'mined' my address book. I've also received email from LinkedIn saying " " wants me to join up with them on some deal connected with LinkedIn. Such was not the case.

LinkedIn, in my opinion, is out to make a buck at anyone's expense. I, and perhaps everyone else who has joined LinkedIn have been abused by their tactics. No doubt, there may be some benefits but I've yet to see any of value.
                              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Working...
                              X