Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

SaaS Framework - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SaaS Framework - Opinions?

Hi everyone,

I was looking at the SaaS Framework being offered by Alpha, and was wondering if anyone has thoughts and opnions on it? Scott Moore was talking to me about it and it sounds nice, but I'm not sure I really want to spend a $1000 on it, especially if a lot of it is information I already know.

Thoughts?

Chris

Re: SaaS Framework - Opinions?

The idea behind that Alpha delivers a SAAS Framework is good for the market and new fellow developers. Essential if you have no prior knowledge of Alpha AnyWhere is a good starting point. There is no "complete" SAAS framework that get you up and running that exactly fits everyone business. Market to day as you know is moving fast and project goals and budget are under pressure. To answer your question is $1000.00 to much for what is offers the answer is no, specially is you are company that is a timer save by example if you want setup a POC.

Comment

Using the saas framework almost guarantees a long term commitment - they would be wise to give it away as an incentive with the developer lic.
      CLEARLY, the framework involves choosing alpha as a base.

I was taken back by the additional fee, but if this is what is necessary for them to develop it then it is what it is and I would assume they have invested money and need to recoup it. I can see this being one hell of an incentive to purchase a 3-5 year dev license and STAY an alpha developer long term though...especially if you have a clear business plan and pretty sure fire bet of an application.
      Otherwise this is a serious investment for an entry level - low code rapid development platform (pretty sure that's the goal with alpha?)

I had the displeasure of raising the dues of a national organisation from 75 dollars a year to an eventual 250/yr while serving on the board and boy did we hear it about the cost. This however, has strengthened the group, increased revenues so we could hire an mgmnt company and allowed us to stop relying on volunteers. It was rough to realize that it comes down to the simple fact that it takes money to make money and I would assume Alpha is no different than any other organisation.
      The new framework sounds great, and I hear it will improve the recurring payment issues I ran into in creating my own SAAS application, however I am still bummed out that I am priced out of the market with my decision to purchase a new license for v12 instead of the saas platform.
      That would put me 3k into alpha in a little over a year if I did!
      I would rather upgrade my license first.
      sooooo - the saas framework will have to wait. DANGGIT
      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I think the real question for a developer is: Is it less expensive to purchase it or to create my own.

If you have the time and ambitions as well as a need for that then money out is not a good thing, But if you are on a time frame that needs it now and the money is readily available, you purchase the prerolled edition and move on. Then the other side may be that you are not sure you will do it right. That is another reason to go for the purchase. It takes time to build most of these kinds of thing in alpha. Time is the determining factor for most.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Well, my Web App Framework v4 will be released on Oct 6th, so you can compare.

This is the the info site: http://alphatogo.com/framework.a5w

Both of these sites will be 100% ready by Oct 1st, 2014.
          Last edited by Steve Wood; 03-29-2017, 06:18 PM.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve, just taking a quick glance I wonder if your framework handles recurring payments, subscriptions in other words. If so does it also handle payments (even it is zero) for sub accounts such as users within a multi-tenant company (technician, sales, secretary, per-sub-user, etc)?

Cost?
            Also How would one go about determining if this was a fit for me?

Getting back on topic, Alphas offering is impossible to determine as there appears to be no way to download this add-on for a test run. I signed up but it looked like it was just a download to V12, maybe I am wrong...also I see nothing on their website relating to actual cost.
            NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Not sure I want to use the forum to discuss. I think the best thing is for me to finish my demo and info page and let those speak. But for the recurring charges, I would just have to add that to my Cart product (sold at alphatogo.com). I have had PayPal recurring charges and subscription model at iadn.com for five years, but have not yet converted that to a commercial product.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

I would add (and again, don't think I should use the forum to promote my own product), that the SaaS Fw is made for SaaS, and my Fw is made for general purpose browser or mobile.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

As I see it from my old eyes.

Doing saas(software as a service) the trick is to keep the users from seeing other users within a company that can't see other companies.

var for company
                  var for users
                  records belonging to user and company are the oly ones seen, reported, entered, etc.

Been doing that for a long time with desktop. Adding it to a webside is actually easier than desktop as done with alpha. Just don't use access or dbf tables. You do not want prying eyes looking at the tables.

Billing and grace periods for payments can be handled within PayPal or roll your own. Suggestion could be "by seat" where each seat is paid for on it's own. I normally do by company.
                  alternative would be use a resellers hosting where you can handle all that from a WHM or equiv. I just prefer hands on, so when they are late, let em know and if no pay stop the service.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Steve,

Would you provide a TabUI instead of the menu that you are using. I simply like that better.

Regards,

Doron
                    The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: http://www.dFarber.com
                    MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
                    Convert Ms Access to Web
                    Custom Software Development
                    No Interest Loans Application

Comment

Doron, the Admin portion is completely in a tabbedUI. So all you would need to do is change the name of the TabbedUI's A5W page to Index.a5w and then, other than the Registration process, all that exists as far as the users are concerned, is the TabbedUi. (You'd need to also turn on Login for the TabbedUI which is a checkbox.) The Registration process could be moved to the TabbedUI as will, but I think a TUI looks intimidating to a brand new user compared to the simplicity of a web page.

Building apps with the TabbedUI as the only home page is neat for some businesses, but it makes SEO less effective.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the calcification.

Regards,

Doron

Convert Ms Access to Web
                        Alpha Five Development

Comment

Thank you for the information everyone!

Comment

I don't see any information in this thread about the SaaS Framework, just comments about the subject.

I have finished my Web App Framework Info page at http://alphatogo.com/framework.a5w
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi All,

Where is the link for the Alpha SaaS framework? That could be very productive for this thread.

Thanks,

Doron

Convert Ms Access to Web
                              Alpha Five Development

Comment

Working...
                              X