Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

web or desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

web or desktop?

Hi,
    I'm new to AA. Coming from a long time MS-Access developing I searched for an alternative which also allows RAD web developing. Now I'm here and see the potential of AA. Just using the trial version I'm impressed

So here the beginners question:
    For developing a new application for a customer what's best: web or desktop?
    I was reading around the Alpha-website but can't find the requirements for each.

What about the desktop version? Can it be accessable via the Alpha Application Server?
    Where's to find this information?

thx

Re: web or desktop?

You can access your tables via web or desktop with AA. It is just a matter of how they are hosted. Desk top can access mysql server etc just the same as the web files. I can access mysql with my desktop version from my webhost, but as they are a lynux based server I cannot do any web design with them as AA needs to operate off a windows server,
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

What's best?

For me it depends on what's best for the customer. The desktop version is the tool of choice for building database applications that are shared with multiple workstations on the client's local network. In this scenario each workstation runs a local copy of Alpha Anywhere (desktop) against a shared database sitting on a local machine. Each workstation must run Windows. Each workstation works with the actual data shared on the "server". The "web application server" is not used at all.

In contrast, the "web" version helps you create a web based series of linked pages that are accessible using your web browser. These pages can be configured to display, create, edit, and delete database records by interacting with a client server based back-end. MS-SQL, mySQL, Oracle, etc. Your application is hosted on a "server" that users connect to using their browsers. In the completed application Alpha Anywhere (desktop) is not used at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
        What's best?

For me it depends on what's best for the customer. The desktop version is the tool of choice for building database applications that are shared with multiple workstations on the client's local network. In this scenario each workstation runs a local copy of Alpha Anywhere (desktop) against a shared database sitting on a local machine. Each workstation must run Windows. Each workstation works with the actual data shared on the "server". The "web application server" is not used at all.
        Let me add, with the desktop you can host the database and the alpha on a windows server and remote desktop into the server. All is on the server. You can use almost any type of computer, fast or slow, in the lan or out in the wan and speed is about the same no mater what you are using.

Comment

What's best?
          That's the way I used MS-Access for my customers for many years. The data for most of them resides in a MS SQL Server database.
          What about the AA license for a desktop solution? Does each workstation which runs a local copy of AA need a licence?

Comment

Originally posted by candide View Post
            That's the way I used MS-Access for my customers for many years. The data for most of them resides in a MS SQL Server database.
            What about the AA license for a desktop solution? Does each workstation which runs a local copy of AA need a licence?

You can use the runtime on all workstations. You just need 1 developer license to design and make changes.

Comment

Stefan,

It is possible to use the desktop version with a client server database like MS SQL Server. However, Alpha's desktop is optimized for working with the older xbase "file-sharing" model, using DBF's formatted as Foxpro 2.6 files. Building a desktop application against a SQL back end will probably use dialogs for the user interface, instead of "forms". Forms work best with native alpha tables and sets. Almost all the tedious work of binding objects in the form to the underlying table is done for you. Dialogs in AA are built using a proprietary scripting language called xDialog.

Comment

Stefan,

It is possible to use the desktop version with a client server database like MS SQL Server. However, Alpha's desktop is optimized for working with the older xbase "file-sharing" model, using DBF's formatted as Foxpro 2.6 files. Building a desktop application against a SQL back end will probably use dialogs for the user interface, instead of "forms". Forms work best with native alpha tables and sets. Almost all the tedious work of binding objects in the form to the underlying table is done for you. Dialogs in AA are built using a proprietary scripting language called xDialog.
                Most of my development work has been done using Alpha's desktop version, and you seem to confirm my opinion that building databases is easier in the older format than in SQL. I am thinking of upconverting my current work to an SQL backend using the workspace upsize genie, and then building UX components on the SQL database for my projected mobile app. If this is a reasonable and doable way to proceed, my next decision is which SQL program to use. The web and mobile versions will eventually need records numbering in the millions, so scalability and speed of access are important, as is a low price to get started. The open source program MySQL offers a free download, and Microsoft's Standard SQL Server is offered for about $45. Do you have any suggestions or tips about making this decision, since I know almost nothing about the programs.

Comment

The only reason between the 2 is that a MySQL db can go anywhere on any platform. MsSql does not play well on any but windows server. Another is Maria Sql that is a plug in for MySQL.
                  It just depends on your use's and preferences.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Candide I only build web. If you need to deploy locally you just run it as a Intranet. Plus any changes only have to be done once. I have many customers running Alpha 24/7 as Intranets for the inside business. Works great.
                    Nicholas Wieland
                    LedgerSuite.com Corp
                    [email protected]
                    http://www.ledgersuite.com

Comment

Working...
                    X