Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sales Contact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales Contact?

I am about down to my last idea on this one. I am writing an application for a client who now needs to license the Alpha Application Server but, according to him, he can't find anyone to sell it. He says chat has been fruitless and the voice mailbox for new customers is full. Can someone from your company tell me who he has to contact to get things going? I tried my rep but apparently he's left the company.

Frankly, I know things can get lost in the cracks but this is really not a good look for Alpha or my business.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Edit: Just an update. Richard Rabins has been in touch via email and will have someone contact me so I can contact my client.
    Last edited by nlk10010; 04-01-2024, 01:14 PM.

I hate to say it but I think it needs to be said: I've had the same experience with Alpha over the years. There have been times I've emailed sales and/or left a voicemail and nobody gets back to me. I've had clients of mine say the same thing.

Alpha, if you're reading this you need to do better.
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

I honestly don't know what to say. Perhaps there are things going on I'm not aware of but it seems to me the FIRST thing you do when you're running a big company like Alpha is to make sure it's easy to buy your product. I mean, to direct potential new customers to leave a message is bad enough (IMO) but for them to be told "the voice mailbox is full" is really beyond my comprehension. Again, I don't want to jump on Alpha but this kind of thing affects developers as well. It's almost as if Alpha is staffed by tech nerds who have created a marvelous product but they're so involved in writing software they either forget about sales or assume the product will sell itself.

Comment

The world is changing.
        Nothing ever made, and no service was ever devised, that cannot be done cheaper and of less quality.

Richard has been good to me over at least 25 years. I am sure he would be mortified if he read the comments.

Maybe a Trust Pilot comment?
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

This is the world we live in. Things like IVR and Amazon have changed the way businesses deal with customers.
          Many companies (unfortunately including Alpha Software) make their customers wade through IVR hell for even a chance to speak with a live person.
          Amazon has changed the way brick & mortar stores like bestbuy stock their stores.
          The good news is when we have a problem reaching sales, we can reach out to Richard or Selwyn, and they will typically get someone on it.
          Yes, it's annoying, but the reality is many companies are no longer concerned about customer service or even customer loyalty.
          Gregg
          https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

When I needed to contact our NHS , I got "mailbox full" message. As in we don't really care, just pretend to.
            So I leaned on the Patient Liaison group. Got a response quickly.
            It's not always about what or who you know. ( But I was an assessor for the NHS privately a while back).
            Recommend laying out your complaint to Richard and Selwyn.

Lenny F is also a great source of asistance.
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
              The world is changing.
              Nothing ever made, and no service was ever devised, that cannot be done cheaper and of less quality.

Richard has been good to me over at least 25 years. I am sure he would be mortified if he read the comments.

Maybe a Trust Pilot comment?
              Richard already knows, he contacted me separately and put me in touch with a Rep, curiously located in Minnesota.

The real issue is going to be pricing; according to my customer, a one year license for the App Server has now more than doubled within the space of a year.

Strange goings on.

Thanks for the comments.

Norman

Comment

Maybe have your client purchase the app through you.
                Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
                  Maybe have your client purchase the app through you.
                  Well, the app is purchased through me. But as far as the Application Server is concerned, doesn't that HAVE to be purchased through Alpha? Besides, I don't want to get involved with that.

The end result is: If the Alpha App Server is going to be so expensive that clients don't want to license it then I don't have anyone to sell Alpha apps to.

Thanks for the comments, madtowng.

Comment

Have you considered Alpha Cloud? That might be a viable (cheaper) solution than the standard app server.
                    Mike Brown - Contact Me
                    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                    Programmatic-Technologies.com
                    Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

It is not uncommon, nor unreasonable for an app developer to acquire the licensing needed for a client (passing the charge as well as any incidental fees) to the client.
                      This not only removes the licensing hassle from the client's list of to do's , but also gives the developer the ability to ensure the client has all the proper licensing.
                      Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
                        It is not uncommon, nor unreasonable for an app developer to acquire the licensing needed for a client (passing the charge as well as any incidental fees) to the client.
                        This not only removes the licensing hassle from the client's list of to do's , but also gives the developer the ability to ensure the client has all the proper licensing.
                        Undeniably. I would be happy to do that but unless I'm willing to eat a significant portion of the license fee I have the same problem: The App Server is just (IMO) too damn expensive for my client.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeallenbrown View Post
                          Have you considered Alpha Cloud? That might be a viable (cheaper) solution than the standard app server.
                          That is probably what they want us to do. Pricing the AS so high, coupled with separate hosting, is pushing the $399/month Alpha Cloud price. That's assuming, of course, that the $399/month plan would be sufficient for my clients. It may be the way we have to go with this application, but I can tell you that a monthly price of $400 is just going to be too high for my client base, considering there are other rapid coding solutions out there that don't require a costly infrastructure. I love what Alpha has done with the language but it's not necessary for a lot of what I do, and clients are not in love with code, they want cost-effective solutions.

Comment

Based on the image below, I'm guessing the client in question is not small company.
                            You might need to consider all the options when looking at the pricing (such as where/who is hosting the server).

image.png
                            Gregg

Comment

Frankly, I'm going to have to study that a bit more. Is it for developers to deploy multiple applications for clients or is it for a single client with single application (replaces separate hosting and Application Server)? I'm not sure now. They would not fall in the "light use" category so I'm assuming $399/month to operate the app I wrote for them. Thanks for posting that table (which I've seen before, of course, but for some reason struck me differently this time).

Norman

Comment

Working...
                              X