Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I have subscription but ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have subscription but ..

Obviously I did subscribe something about 8 months ago. I have impression that I do not have IIS and I do not have tablet optimized forms now.
    Some features I have or have I and some features I will not get? Hmm.
    Soon is time to decide: continue subscription or not. Continue what? Three plans to choose. First one has not mobile. Second one has. Third one has some features that others not.
    So If I just take the most basic the price is just 50% more than now but I do not have mobile but I sure can do web applications but maybe I get updates and new features.

Almost 10 years with Alpha is long time and I almost did certify:)
    Last edited by kkfin; 01-03-2016, 02:55 AM.

Re: I have subscription but ..

AFAIK, IIS baked into the cake. So I think you can exercise that option. The tablet thing I think you have to ask for a feature pack number or something. AFAIK there is no additional charge for it. Not sure about what the 3 plans are?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter, don't know if you have looked at pricing lately. There are now different subscription pricing levels that include/do not include certain features.

Phonegap and IIS are two of the features that are in the advanced pricing.

However, even the lowest level pricing is still mobile compatible, so long as you build your UX's correctly. But features like offline forms and tablet forms are also not included in a base subscription.

http://www.alphasoftware.com/pricing/

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. Good to know. Not sure what it means for me/you/us? Are subscription holders grandfathered in?

Edit: Actually, I'm pretty sure existing subscription holders were automatically grandfathered in.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Grandfathered in to what exactly?

Comment

Meaning you get IIS, sync & tablet stuff.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Has IIS and tablet optimized forms officially been launched? I thought it was still in BETA.
              Regards
              Keith Hubert
              Alpha Guild Member
              London.
              KHDB Management Systems
              Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Peter,

Are you thinking that existing subscription holders get everything (IIS, sync & tablet stuff) at the base pricing level?

Comment

Dave,

My understanding is that pre-existing subscribers get all that stuff. But I think you have to ask for a key to access the tablet features.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

IIS is actually a license key within itself also.

If you call Alpha, you can probably convince them to give you an IIS license and tablets and everything for your current subscription

BUT ...

Keep in mind when it comes time to renew it will be at the higher subscription price, so make sure you need those things before you commit to them.

Comment

PhoneGap Build, for example, is not included with the base subscription. You will need to upgrade to the PRO edition which is $2495 per year.

Comment

Alpha announced that IIS was "Now Production Ready" on 9/28/15 and offered a free license if you bought a new license by 9/30/15 (no pressure there!).

Then, on 10/14/15 they announced the Charter Member Program and said that "To recognize your loyalty, this new pricing will not affect your current subscription licenses as long as they remain active (i.e. do not lapse). In order to insulate yourself from the higher pricing and changes to the licensing model when your subscription expires, now would be a great time to extend your subscription."

Then, despite having 3 active licenses, on 11/11/15 they told me I missed the Charter Member Program and offered to make me an honorary Charter Member if I bought a new license or extended at a higher price.

I already had three licenses, and had extended one of them at the lower Charter Member Price, but I saw that they had not extended any of my licenses (but did take my money) so, yesterday, I called sales. The response was "Sorry to take so long, our database is really old and unreliable." and "Oh, we were really busy and we forgot to extend your license." I asked if all three of my licenses would be eligible for free IIS and Tablet stuff, and was told "No, only the one that we extended. That one is the "Pro" version" (whatever that is....)

I also asked about IIS and was told "it is still in beta but is going to be released some time first quarter of 2015."

My takeaways from all this are:
                        1. Never believe an announcement from Alpha's Sales team. They have no idea what they are doing.
                        2. Forget about IIS and Tablet stuff. Just be happy with what you have.
                        3. You may or may not qualify for free IIS and Tablet stuff, but Alpha doesn't know either. This will be a nightmare when they make the next release.
                        Pat Bremkamp
                        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

PhoneGap Build was not listed as one of the "Enterprise-level features" so I did not renew my 5 server licenses and 2 developer licenses before the deadline. Now they are telling me that PhoneGap Build is an enterprise-level feature which costs $2495 per license. My takeaway after reading the Charter Membership "deal" was a guarantee that you would not have to pay a higher future rate if you agree to pay the new higher rate and NEVER let your subscriptions expire. That didn't sound like much of a deal to me since I was not using any of the enterprise features that were listed.

I am also confused as to whether the PRO edition applies to the developer system, the app server system or both. For example, to use the PhoneGap Build feature do I need a developer PRO edition license and a standard app server license or do I need both developer and app server PRO licenses? I have not received an answer back yet.

Comment

Out of pure curiosity only:
                            you need an alpha developer package - given
                            so you need another package to be ale to get certain tools?
                            You also need to buy a IIS for each separate client?
                            You also need to buy a phone gap package for each separate client?
                            You also need to buy a web app server for each seperate client?
                            Are all of these in some super package for deployment on a client's server?
                            Does the client have to update all of these each year at a cost to stay active?
                            I just maybe don't understand it all?
                            Not bitching here, just curious.
                            I just had a very large company approach me and they(VP of operations) brought up alpha in the conversation. Their IT guys are looking to see if it is useable on their servers. They have offices and other on every continent and most countries. They and I are looking at many possibilities to serve their needs.
                            I have done work for them in the past and they were happy with that.

Going deeper:
                            They are doing cost analysis including the perpetual costs, speed, viability, and other factors.
                            IT is to call me next Thursday to let me know pretty much what will be accepted and what will not.
                            It is a 2 year project at any rate to replace their current .net system.
                            The choices have come down to a new .net, alpha and PHP. I know better than to try and sway IT, so have the teams for each of the three pretty well set up. Takes about 10 people 2 years to finalize.

Now maybe understand the reasons for the questions.
                            Last edited by DaveM; 01-08-2016, 02:08 PM. Reason: going deeper
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I'm unclear too Dave. A very nice chap took the trouble to call me in the UK and try to get me excited about the new offers.
                              Unfortunately, following the subscription model debacle (crossed wires/costs/deliverables) I chose a different and cheaper platform for Web based apps. I sent details of the costs and options and have heard didly squat.
                              For DT, Alpha is still the best in my view. The complexities introduced trying to shoehorn DT apps into the Web are not necessarily successful.
                              Nope. I'll stick with V11 - the last nonreleased version for DT and the newer stuff for Web as it's cheaper, perhaps not so easy to learn if you have to unlearn Alpha and with built in IIS at no extra cost.
                              See our Hybrid Option here;
                              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X