Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Data Recovery for Hard Disk Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Recovery for Hard Disk Crash

I could use some advice here. Just for the record I was getting ready to make a backup to an external drive when my PC died. Just heard a click and it was gone.

Interesting note is that over at the Dell forum, several other people had the same experience yesterday...could it be a coincidence???

Any help or advice before I go the $$ route would be greatly appreciated!
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Re: Data Recovery for Hard Disk Crash

Try the disk in another computer as a 2nd drive(not primary).
    Lots of possibilities here including it not being the disk at all. Usually they start a rapid clicking before total failure. Not always.
    Be ready to back it up if it happens to work.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Just heard a click and it was gone.
      what happened after that? whenever you restart the computer it is dead not even waking up or it makes clicking noise repeatedly and does not boot up?

in any case the computer memory has the power when still connected to the power source what ever happened last it will remeber. so disconnect he computer leave it off for awhile, then press the power button hold it for few minutes that will purge any residual power in the circuit board. after few minutes re-plug, restart the computer. if the computer starts back up everything you need to a usb drive. when you are happy then make a recovery usb ( separate one not on the same usb backup) and reformat the hard drive and restore.
      while this seems an expert's advise on data restoration, I am not a data recovery expert.
      I was able to get the data by following the above steps which was in dell site. one time. and my scenario may be different from yours so may be useful or may be not.
      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
      mysql backend
      http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
      [email protected]
      1 914 924 5171

Comment

Some more details might help.

What's gone? Is there still power to the monitor? Is the power light still on for the PC itself? You may have just had a PC power supply failure and the hard disk may be fine.
        Last edited by Stan Mathews; 04-21-2016, 10:20 AM.
        There can be only one.

Comment

All the peripherals work so power is ok. When I rebooted and went into the utility setup it said I have no disks installed.

I will try Ghandi's suggestion and let you know how that goes. Then I will try Dave's idea if necessary.

Thanks guys.
          Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

When I back up - icloud, onedrive and local solid state drive (all three) - way to heart breaking losing work - done it one, never gain.
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Robin,

Problem is everything you try will potentially end up in the disk becoming more damaged. Best bet is to remove it as soon as possible and get an expert (and I mean AN EXPERT) to try and recover what they can. Alternatively, if all you've lost is a day's work it would probably be cheaper to just replace the disk and restore from your latest backup.

Comment

Update:

Geek Squad is the best! They recovered my entire hard drive and my Alpha files are intact. And it only cost $500 (2 hours).

Now if I can just wait patiently for the 10 days til I actually get them...
                Robin

Comment

Hi Robin,

If your computer died, which means the Mother Board is dead or the Power Supply is dead then more likely the HD is just fine. When you place that Hard Disk in another computer you simply copy the data. I have done that for several of my clients. It could be that some cable was disconnected from the HD and the Mother Board could not see that anymore. In your case it seems one of the above otherwise it will require more then 2 hours.

Regards,

Doron
                  The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: http://www.dFarber.com

Avis Car Rental Software
                  MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
                  Custom Software Development

Comment

Hi Doron,
                    Well I have learned a lot since this experience. If I hadn't of panicked and waited a bit, I am sure I could have saved some money. But my Alpha files were all that I really needed from that drive and it was worth the $$ to be able to get them back. The first person who tested it did confirm that it was the drive itself that was dead. They will probably tell me more when I go to pick of the new usb drive.
                    Robin

Comment

When this does happen (hard drive fails) or you suspect it has happened it is best to remove the harddrive from tthe computer. Any additional activety with the drive as the primary drive can cause changes on the drive and make things worse.

You can obtains a USB to harddrive adapter for under $40 well worth the money in these situations. This should allow you to connect the drive to any other working computer. If the OS on the other computer recognises the drive and mounts it you may be able to use get data back to recovery your files. This program is quite easy to use and the trial downloads will let you at least see your files.

As a last ditch attempt try placing the drive in freezer over night The temperature can possititively affect the mechanical tolerances just enought to allow the drive to operate, till it warms up again. I know it sounds foolsihness, but had it work once, mind you just once. If you do try this be aware you will get condensation on the drive as it exposed to the warm air, which is not a ood thing.

Comment

NTFS Get Back is a good program to recover data. You need to pull the drive and put it into a working computer to run the program.
                        Creating Healthcare Work-Flow Solutions Since 2005

Comment

Did a recovery for a company back in the 1990's where the drive electronics had failed amongst other problems.

Bought an identical new drive and moved the disks from the old to the new. It worked and was able to retrieve everything. Then destroyed both drives. Once opened, they will only run 1- 5 times because of dirt.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Now days 90% of the time a HD failure is the result of the circuit board on the HD failing. Depending on the drive it can be a simple as the contacts have become dirty and simply removing the circuit board, cleaning the contacts and replacing it will get the drive going again.

With serial ATA drives in most cases if the circuit board has failed and needs to be replaced, there are three types. One requires no more than replacing the board with an identical one. Another requires replacing the board along with pulling the bias chip from the old board and putting it on the new board. The third type is beyond doing it at home.

It is not that hard to replace the circuit board. Search Ebay for the control circuit board for your drive. Make sure you get the same bias date. Get the small trox screwdriver it takes to remove the board. Replace the board. Put the drive in a docking station and see if it is now recognized.

Don't want to try this yourself? There are services that will do it for you for a $100.00 or less.

Comment

Originally posted by pboomwork View Post
                              When this does happen (hard drive fails) or you suspect it has happened it is best to remove the harddrive from tthe computer. Any additional activety with the drive as the primary drive can cause changes on the drive and make things worse.

You can obtains a USB to harddrive adapter for under $40 well worth the money in these situations. This should allow you to connect the drive to any other working computer. If the OS on the other computer recognises the drive and mounts it you may be able to use get data back to recovery your files. This program is quite easy to use and the trial downloads will let you at least see your files.

As a last ditch attempt try placing the drive in freezer over night The temperature can possititively affect the mechanical tolerances just enought to allow the drive to operate, till it warms up again. I know it sounds foolsihness, but had it work once, mind you just once. If you do try this be aware you will get condensation on the drive as it exposed to the warm air, which is not a ood thing.

I am hungry i would like harddriveburger of even perhaps a hardrive lollypop from the freezer

Comment

Working...
                              X