Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Taking your work with you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking your work with you...

Hey all

I am just wondering how other developers work remotely. I have Alpha on my laptop and take it with me and work where I can. My laptop is due for replacement and I am thinking a desktop for my office and a Surface Tablet to take home, on the boat, and travelling. I want to be able to work on my applications remotely on the Surface. I can establish a VPN connection back to the office or I can also do a remote desktop connection. Is this the way to go or should I host my development files on some sort of cloud server (Onedrive, Dropbox, etc).

I will be away for most of April and would like to keep working on my Alpha skills between visiting relative in England and sipping wine in France... ok maybe not the second part.

What works for you?

Re: Taking your work with you...

sipping wine in France...
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

I use Dropbox a lot but given the hassle of internet connections maybe a memory stick ??
      Hope you enjoy your visit to our country (it's never been cheaper !!)
      Bob
      Bob Whitaker

Comment

i use 'logmein' and 'team viewer' for remote connections. they both are good but team viewer i use is free version. logmein version i had was pro which i discontinued this year cost me $250.00 per year. that is the reason to drop not because it is not good. team viewer is on many computers but logmein was limited to two computers. if you are using remote connections any instrument should be okay but they are all dependent on internet connections so surface pro does not come into play. but if you want to install alphafive in the surface pro, please check some postings on this message board. there were some i don't remember off hand the conclusion. same goes if you want to use usb drive.
        thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
        mysql backend
        http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
        [email protected]
        1 914 924 5171

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Whitaker View Post
          I use Dropbox a lot but given the hassle of internet connections maybe a memory stick ??
          Hope you enjoy your visit to our country (it's never been cheaper !!)
          Bob
          Looking forward to the visit - actually my wife was born in Sutton-Coldfield, will be my first trip there. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Just got back from TN for a week, I placed all my tools on a not very old laptop and never missed a beat with work. Took care of a number of websit5e issues and continued all my desktop work while I was there.
            It is all in how you do it.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi,
              I usually always have everything on my laptop, projects and files are backed up in dropbox.
              At the office I have a docking station with a big screen and wireless mouse and keyboard.
              On the road I work directly on the laptop..
              Recently I got a surface book, I think surface pro and surface book are quite similar.
              it's very nice quite performant, very portable, looks very good. but beware of the screen resolution.
              It's 3000x2000 but there a scaling of 200% that you can adjust. not all applications respond well to font scaling.
              Alpha does work well but sometime you just feel the fonts don't look so good.
              there is an option to lower the resolution so you don't have to use font scaling but then I noticed the screen brightness acting weird..
              Also working on a 13.5 inch screen is not funny for my eyes...:)

Enjoy your vacation

Comment

I use TeamViewer as well - it's essentially like being there. At home here I have two screens and teamviewer works great allowing me to switch up. Interestingly enough, here at home I use remote desktop to log into my Hosting Machine at zebrahost (which I am sure is some form of a virtual OS in a folder on that machine) so when I am out of town (heres where it gets wierd, lol)
                I use my Ipads Hotspot (verizon) on my laptop to log into my home PC via teamviewer to log into my remote desktop at Zebrahost...and thats on screen two - screen one I keep Alpha, my web design program and photoshop running most of the time. Sometimes I turn on my webcam and just have a look at the office but I have learned the hard way that sometimes you just don't want to know whats going on.

So summing it up - Why worry about duplicating dev files when you can EASILY log into your home PC and work as though you were right there? Team Viewer!
                NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I'll be the rebel here.
                  I am a Mac user. I use my MacBook Pro for everything and don't have any dedicated windows computers. It does everything I need, is easier to use and I installed a windows shell for the Alpha stuff. So now I have the best of both worlds. I was initially worried about the Windows shell on a Mac and how it work, especially with Alpha. Surprisingly Windows runs better on my Mac that any windows laptop or desktop I ever had. The Mac has a VPN app that will connect to any windows machine (like my customer's windows server) and works flawlessly. No issues with resolution or sizing the window. The MacBook is light and easy to take anyplace I go. When I'm at my desk I just plug in the big screen monitor and away we go.

My concerns on running Alpha in the windows shell was also quickly put aside when I went to the Alpha DevCon 2 years ago and noticed that many of the Alpha employees use a Mac too.

So there's my plug for a MacBook. I'm a recovering Windows person, made the switch and now I wonder why I didn't switch earlier.

Mike
                  Mike Reed
                  Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Working...
                  X