Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New Pricing and Products

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Pricing and Products

Anyone viewed the latest prices?
    Seems a bit ambitious to me at $1, 499 a pop for a single user per annum.
    Is it still good value given the vast number of mobile and web tools around nowadays?
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Re: New Pricing and Products

I wish it were 50/month but it is a great product, regularly updated with unparalleled flexibility. It is worth every penny to me. As a hobbyist with a dream, it was tough to make the decision to keep going forward. Since I was starting this new business - developing software as a business, I knew there would be a five year curve at the very least. Even if you KNOW how to build with A5 - starting a business - marketing it, getting the word out and actually making money as a business takes time and is an investment - I know that. So starting out, money being the first consideration I had to decide if I could afford to make the investment because as we all know A5 is just part of the investment. There are domain names, SSL costs, server costs, third party software such as always up, RDP guard, etc. which btw those overall costs are more than A5 so adding it all up - even a guy with a dream has an investment to make.

Over all - A5 is worth every penny to me.

I am sure Selwyn's $4.8 million - Koenigsegg CCXR Trevita was bought on sale, lol (if he had one)
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Well I just hope you have good Professional Liability Insurance, Charles, in case you forget the annual payment.
      That is another concern I have with the pricing - fail to pay and you are shut down. Most RAD software has an arrangement where you just miss out on updates so you are not a hostage to someone else's fortune.
      As long as you are happy that's all that matters.

Comment

I do carry liability and I do not need to worry about forgetting since I have automatic drafts occurring, not that your post was made out of concern for me initially - but I do agree on the concept as a concern. As I have said many times over I would subscribe regardless of the need to - Alpha software is that good. There are quite a few folks who would rather it go back to the limited lifetime model - for obvious concerns of future proofing our work but the way the web is today, we may not even recognise our software as relevant 10 years from now. I think the web side of things changes so often, that the subscription model is probably best.

Although no one asked here's my opinion on the subscription model and AS

Give them their due - Alpha software has earned the right through innovation and a serious lack of competition to model their business any way they want and deserve our dollars to continue the strong growth we have seen in the past 5 years. If I were in their position, I would be proud.
        Sure their are similar products out there - but truly none can fully compare. Am I cheerleading ? Yes I am, with full confidence that I am spot on accurate.

If your on the fence about subscribing - I would recommend it as a small cost to pay. I see this as no different than paying for your domain or hosting. You DO own it but stop paying for either and see what happens...tell your customer that.
        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I think you have strayed into a different set of values Charles.
          As a long time user of Alpha - since 1992 to be precise, I have nothing but praise for the Desk Top versions up to V11. I own V11 Dev and RT licenses, outright.
          V12 contained few improvements which to my mind made the increase in cost unbearable. There is nothing to touch Alpha for desk top tools, that is a given, but as I have licenses for all versions from Dos Days to V11, I hope you will agree that as far as DT is concerned, I am a fan.

I do believe your comment that "truly none can fully compare" is a little skewed. Sure for DT as I have mentioned, however I have to disagree regarding the web and mobile side of Alpha.
          Of course Alpha works, but for me there are too many moving parts. The web development kit I am currently using is not a subscription based one, it is a perpetual license - paid for once, from a long established company.
          Database management, app building and publishing is easy and contained within the tool kit. I can deploy to shared or dedicated servers with a click. No WAS to configure, no IIS, Ajax or complex call backs. You build an application and have Web and Mobile easily created from the one Db schema. There are no bugs in the toolkit that I can find. It is shipped completely tested.

The shared server I use costs $100 per year for unlimited sites, databases and volume, SQLServer16, all running on SSD's, so it's fast. I use it for hosting web sites as well as applications so that is what I would call a "small cost" and I can move if the mood takes me. Means I can offer 3 months "free" hosting too at this price and I also use it for personal and extended family stuff.
          I agree that $1500 is a small cost for a one license development tool but not on a recurring basis. I suspect the price will go up and unfortunately you are pretty trapped once you are on the tiger.

As a member of an RAD evaluation group where there is a huge mix of people with different requirements, aims and objectives, we often debate the pros and cons of web development tools - at all sorts of prices. From zero to $30,000. There are a number of Alpha users in the group so we are not pro any product, but I believe that the subscription model is not a favourite way of doing business.

I would agree that what we are using now will be superseded quickly in years to come, and members of our group are investigating the use of some pretty advanced and exciting stuff supported by Microsoft and Google.

I'll bow out now and reaffirm that I love Alpha DT, and although I like the Web side and it would have been easy to slip into the Alpha Web kit given my experience of the product, I won't pay on a subscription basis and separate WAS license, and that is what caused me to look for web tool elsewhere.

Let's agree to differ in part.

Comment

I suspect the price will go up and unfortunately you are pretty trapped once you are on the tiger.
            That's true. But there are even more expensive tools out here. e.g. InDe starts at 299 Euro/month or $3839 annual going all the way to $6407 annual if you want the full tool-set. On the other end of the scale one could go "WAMP" - for free! But good luck with that. You would need 3 lifetimes to build a single app. I'm not defending high prices, but it's all relative. The market will bear what it bears, and no more.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
            X