Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Record ID - Num/Char

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Record ID - Num/Char

I am very new to the Alpha platform but have been using Access/.NET for many years. I need advice on the record id for each table created in Alpha.

I have always created the ID field as a numerical, starting at 1 and autonumber (autoincrement). But, most of what i read here says use a character format and then set the starting value at something like 000001. What is best, keeping in mind SQL server down the road.

I also use a universal lookup table consisting of 3 fields. ID, tblName and Value.

When used in a lookup field, i filter the lookup by the value in the tblName. Example: if i use it in the "Agency Name" field the lookup values are filtered by the tblName value "tlkpAgency".
    The value stored is the ID value of the lookup table. If i store the text value as opposed to the id value, if the value changes later then the previous data entered needs to be updated, such as the personnel table when someone changes their name due to marriage.

Using a universal lookup table is very easy to maintain and find as opposed to numerous lookup tables. BUT, this is the way i have done it in the past.

So, my main question is; do i use a numeric value or a character value as each records id. And, since the universal lookup table id will be numerical, each field in every table that uses it will also need to be numerical. if i use numerical, does the width value matter. if i set it at 6, what happens when it hits one million? There is no width setting in Access for the autonumber so this is new to me.

since changing any of this later would be a logistical nightmare, i want to make sure i do it right the first time.
    J.R.
    Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
    http://www.epigate.com
    sigpic

Re: Record ID - Num/Char

So, my main question is; do i use a numeric value or a character value as each records id.

Some people swear by then, even though in Alpha world character type has traditionally been recommended. As you say, if you later go to SQL, you will have to convert to numerical if you start w. character.

And, since the universal lookup table id will be numerical, each field in every table that uses it will also need to be numerical. if i use numerical, does the width value matter. if i set it at 6, what happens when it hits one million?

Sure it matters. Figure your largest realistic record quantity and multiply by 10 for safety.

I also use a universal lookup table consisting of 3 fields. ID, tblName and Value.

You may already know this, Alpha allows you to fill multiple fields at once. Very powerful. In such a case you might not want to use a universal lookup.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thank you Peter. I think that is enough to persuade me to use the numerical format. I do anticipate SQL down the road.

Concerning the Universal Lookup table, in my application, which is currently in Access 2010, there are over 100 fields which use a lookup. So the universal table holds all the values for all of these fields, and each field is filtered by the appropriate lookup table name in the lookup table. (This is difficult to explain, so i appologize if it is confusing).

"In such a case you might not want to use a universal lookup".

If i do not use a universal lookup table, where are all the values stored for all these 100+ fields? I want the end user to have the ability to not only add new values but also easily inactivate a value so it will no longer show up in the dropdown, but still exists for past historic records. I failed to count the boolean yes/no field in the lookup table that determines if it shows in the dropdown.

Can you expand on the lookup table concept a little more. It is easier to do it right from the start, as opposed to trying to remedy it later.

Yes, the "fill multiple fields at once" feature in Alpha is great. alot easier than the way i did it oin the other platform.

We created an Access Starter Application called Db-2-App, which we sell at http://www.epigate.com/product_db-2-app.htm and all of our apps we build starts off with this template. It has permissions, logging, audit log, online update, session, object and event logging and error logging/reporting.
      I wish there was something like this for Alpha. Since a good app needs a good administrative ability, and since i am new to Alpha, it will take me quite a while just to get a starter db built. (desktop, not web based)
      J.R.
      Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
      sigpic

Comment

If i do not use a universal lookup table, where are all the values stored for all these 100+ fields?

Nothing wrong with that. I have done the same thing in Alpha. In my own case, at least, I tend to use table lookups a lot more.

Can you expand on the lookup table concept a little more. It is easier to do it right from the start, as opposed to trying to remedy it later.

As you know they are a function of field rules. Alpha is very flexible. You can do it after the fact with little impact on your design, I think.

We created an Access Starter Application called Db-2-App, which we sell at http://www.epigate.com/product_db-2-app.htm and all of our apps we build starts off with this template. It has permissions, logging, audit log, online update, session, object and event logging and error logging/reporting.

Very nice!
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks Peter. Is there a desktop app template available anywhere out there that you are aware of?
          J.R.
          Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by J.R. Noe View Post
            Thanks Peter. Is there a desktop app template available anywhere out there that you are aware of?
            As far as I know, the closest you are going to find is the sample Alpha Sports app that comes with Alpha.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

I would think that would be something marketable. I realize some of the things our Db-2-App does is already included in Alpha (which is one of the reasons i really like Alpha), but it sells rather well, so having a "Starter Template" for an Alpha desktop app that includes more administrative components than what is included in the AlphaSports would be desireable. I know i would pay for one, since it would save so much start up time.

Just an Idea.

btw, I used to live up your way at Salisbury Beach MA. Way toooo cold to brag about living on a beach.
              J.R.
              Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
              sigpic

Comment

Nothing like a brisk sea breeze when the temperature is below 20.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X