Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A Little Conceptional Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Little Conceptional Help Please

I have a table of employee names
    I have a table of function names
    I have a table that shows which operation procedures are associated with each function
    I have a table of training records

What I want to do is allow a manager to select a name from the employee list, associate it with a function, generating a list of operation procedures that the employee needs to be trained on to be certified for that function. I need to then append this list to the existing training table.

Employee Table contains the employee name and I will use a dropdown control to allow the selection of a name
    Function Table contains rows showing the function name and the associated procedures as rows of data
    ie.

function 1 procedure 1
    function 1 procedure 2
    function 1 procedure 3
    function 2 procedure 1
    function 2 procedure 4
    function 3 procedure 2
    function 3 procedure 3
    function 3 procedure 5
    etc.

the selection of the function will also be from a dropdown list

what I want to is build a table where, for instance, name1 and function1 are chosen and the info returned looks like

name1 function 1 Procedure 1
    name1 function 1 procedure 2
    name1 function 1 procedure 3

and then append this data to a larger table assigning the results to the relevant fields thus building a training schedule for that employee for the function selected

I am having problems getting started with the basic building blocks I need

I think I need a dialog that generates a new table from the selections made and then a button that appends it. But I am a bit lost as to how to begin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Re: A Little Conceptional Help Please

Hi Steve,

It looks to me that your training records table will have the lookup to the employee, a lookup to functions and a lookup to procedures. This last lookup will be filtered by the function that has been selected. I would suggest you change the name of function to operation or something similar, just so you dont get confused with an Alpha function.

Is this for desk top or web?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

The table for functions contains the procedure info .
      This is a web application

Comment

Steve,

If I understand you correctly, "the table for functions contains the procedure info", what happens when a procedure needs to be changed? You would need to change it in all records instead of one.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Yep! i too got confused at the same place.
          Sample Forms

Comment

Let me start over a bit.

I am trying to populate a training table with new records in an automated way. I want to allow a manager to chose an employee and an operation that has several procedures associated with it. The end result would be new rows of records being appended to the training table showing the employee and the procedures they need to be trained on to be qualified to do an operation. Later as the training takes place, these records will be updated with dates and notes regarding the actual training for each procedure.

The procedures are associated with the operations within a different table. My thought was to extract the procedure list from this table based on the operation selection, use this list of procedures and along with the employee name selected, append this list as new partial records in the overall training table. This will then allow me to extract a list of procedures any employee needs to be trained on and create a status report by employee that shows their training requirement and current status.

Is that any more clear?

Steve

Comment

Steve,
              "Is that any more clear?" Yes and No.

I understand what you want to achieve but I think you have got your thinking not quite right to get to the end result.

In my opinion, there is no need for all the extraction that you are thinking of. You just need to start with the tables as I suggested and feed the data with lookups into the Training records table. This will have to be based on a set with the Parent doing the lookup to the Employee.

Think of this as an Invoice and all the child records are the training sessions.
              Regards
              Keith Hubert
              Alpha Guild Member
              London.
              KHDB Management Systems
              Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

I'm not sure a key concept has been properly conveyed. I'm trying to build a place holder for the training record in advance of any actual training. This place holder is the beginning of a record without the complete info such as dates of training, hours spent, who certified the training etc. The place holders will be created from the simple selection of a name and operation and the system would populate the beginnings of the record.

It is different from the invoice concept in that the system needs to actually build an incomplete record set.

I am not at all convinced that you aren't right in saying that I have my thinking not quite right. Just not seeing what you are suggesting as a solution yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveK3003 View Post
                  I'm not sure a key concept has been properly conveyed. I'm trying to build a place holder for the training record in advance of any actual training. This place holder is the beginning of a record without the complete info such as dates of training, hours spent, who certified the training etc. The place holders will be created from the simple selection of a name and operation and the system would populate the beginnings of the record.

It is different from the invoice concept in that the system needs to actually build an incomplete record set.

I am not at all convinced that you aren't right in saying that I have my thinking not quite right. Just not seeing what you are suggesting as a solution yet.
                  So for each function within a business you have a set of training procedures that need to be implemented by an employee to enable them to undertake that function. The managers decide which functions an employee will need to have training on.

The procedures that are required for a function are those that are in place at that particular time. Over time these procedures may change and that would be a matter for further training.

Is this correct so far?
                  Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Yes,

I have a table that allows the addition of new procedures to an operation. That table has the operation name and procedure name/number as it's fields.

ie: Operation 1 Procedure 1
                    Operation 1 Procedure 2
                    operation 1 Procedure 3
                    Operation 2 Procedure 1
                    Operation 2 Procedure 4

etc.

This table can have additions or deletions to stay current.

when you select operation 1, you get 3 records, Procedure 1, Procedure 2 and Procedure 3

I want to add the name of the employee and append these procedures as 3 new records to the overall training table thus creating 3 records with employee name and the 3 required procedures as new records. I also want to weed out any duplicate procedures but I believe this can be done within the append function.

Comment

So you have a master list of functions, you have a master list of procedures (training requirements) each of these procedures is linked to one or more functions and they are either active or inactive.

You have a master list of employees and for each employee you require a master list of required functions and for each of these there needs to be a master list of required procedures

So when a manager decides a specific function needs to be applied to an employee a new record needs to be appended to the required functions table which is linked to that employee. Subsequently for each new required function added, the current required procedures relating to that function need to be appended to the required procedures table for that employee.

The required function and required procedure tables need to have foreign keys enabling the link back to the employee record.
                      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Almost. There is also a master training table with each record showing the employee and a procedure that he is required to master. This record shows the current status of the training for that particular employee for that particular procedure.

What I want to do is have a manager assign a function to an employee, have the list of procedures associated with that function tied to the employee and the series of records (employee + each of the required procedures) appended to the master training table. The status will start as required but not completed and as the employee masters the procedure, the training record will be updated to reflect this status.

Comment

Is that not the required functions table ?
                          Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Since you didn't define the elements of your required functions table it could be a symantecs thing where we are indeed talking about the same thing. At the end of the process, the master training table should contain several new records each with the employee name and one of the procedures. I can then extract reports easily showing which employees are trained on what procedures and of coarse which functions. Other reports will show which procedures have been assigned to an employee but not yet mastered.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveK3003 View Post
                              Since you didn't define the elements of your required functions table it could be a symantecs thing where we are indeed talking about the same thing. At the end of the process, the master training table should contain several new records each with the employee name and one of the procedures. I can then extract reports easily showing which employees are trained on what procedures and of coarse which functions. Other reports will show which procedures have been assigned to an employee but not yet mastered.
                              the required procedures table for that employee.
                              indeed symantecs! You have the required structure! With each table having the required fields to record training status etc.
                              Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X