Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Displaying everything on a master form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Displaying everything on a master form

When I designed my application (years ago starting with A5 Ver 5) I created my tables and a master form I call Customer Manager where I can display all data linked to each customer, quickly seeing the data from each separate table linked to the customer through a Customer ID field. As I have grown the amount of info I want to see as a snapshot I have run into some problems with my set and form designs. Let me try to explain.

I have several tables all related to my Customers table and I am using a master form based on a set that links the tables together as follows:

Code:
    CUSTOMERS
    |===REQUESTS
              |===REQUESTS_DTL
    |===TRANSACTIONS
    |===UNITS
    The master form is for viewing all data for one particular customer. The CUSTOMERS table holds the customer name, address, etc.

The REQUESTS table holds records for each separate request by a customer such as a request for a quote or a service call. Each customer can have multiple requests. The REQUESTS_DTL table holds records that link each request to one or more units (stove, fireplace, furnace, etc.). Each request can have multiple units.

The TRANSACTIONS table holds records for each seperate Invoice or contract, along with payments made, etc. Each customer can have multiple transactions.

The UNITS table holds records for each separate unit owned by each customer (stove, fireplace, furnace, etc.). Each customer can have multiple units.

On my master form I have a sub-form with tabs and each tab displays info from each of the other tables. The Request tab displays a browse that lists all request records for this customer. The Units tab displays a list of all units owned by this customer. The Transaction tab displays a list of all transaction records for this customer. Each of these lists are an embedded browse that links to the CustNum field. As the CustNum changes the data changes to display only those records linked to the currently selected customer number.

This all works fine and has been working for several years. Recently I wanted to add some data to the snapshot view on the requests tab. This tab has a broswe based on the REQUESTS table. The REQUESTS table does not have data for the Units associated with this request. The data on the Units is held in the UNITS table and is linked to the REQUESTS table using another table named REQUESTS_DTL.

When I add or view a Request record I can add one or more Units to this request and I have a separate form that is based on a different set than my master customer form. On this request form I can view multiple linked Units that are associated with this request. Each request can have multiple units linked through the REQUESTS_DTL table. Again, this all works fine.

But now, what I wanted to do was add a seperate browse on my master customer form that will show me the units linked to each request as I clicked on each request record in the request browse. When I tried to build the browse I was unable to get any Units data to show up on the available fields list. On this tab of my sub-form I am displaying a browse based on the REQUESTS table. If I click on a line in the browse I want the data in another browse to show me only the associated Units records. But I don't have a direct link to the Units data from the REQUESTS table in my set. This set was set up to link everything back to the CUSTOMERS table.

I tried adding a direct link in the set diagram between the REQUESTS table, through the REQUESTS_DTL table, to the UNITS table. This worked to show me what I wanted to see on the Requests tab. But it broke my units browse on my Units tab. When I removed this added link to the Units table my units browse was fixed. I don't want to lose my ability to browse all Units linked to each customer. That's more important to me than being able to quickly see the linked units on the Request tab.

But I am wondering if there is another way to do what I wanted on the Request tab browse. This works outside of my master form when based on another set. So I could open another form to display what I want. But I was hoping to keep it clean and all inside my master customer form, on the same tab as the request browse.

Is there a way to do this? Do I have to use a programming feature instead of the standard menus from the A5 interface? Maybe I need to use some other control instead of a tabbed form?

In a nutshell, I think what I am trying to do is display data from a set structure that is not associated with my current form and current set, but still be viewable inside the current form. Does that make sense?

Thanks for any tips.

Sean

Re: Displaying everything on a master form

Hi Sean,
    In a nutshell, I think what I am trying to do is display data from a set structure that is not associated with my current form and current set, but still be viewable inside the current form. Does that make sense?
    Yes it does, but you will have to do it with calculated fields which looks up the data in the other tables. You might also get the data in child tables to display if captured in an array.

One think to keep in mind, little rule, few table in set for data entry, many table in set for display and reporting. Best practice, add new data to big set in new form from a smaller set.
    Last edited by Keith Hubert; 03-24-2013, 12:55 AM. Reason: typo
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Thanks Keith,

You gave me a jolt in the head by just mentioning array for the project I am doing right now.

Sean,
      an array is very efficient since you can install so many variables at one time. You can also set the variables up one at a time if you prefer. Most do it one at a time until they feel comfortable with arrays. An array can be much faster to set up once you figure it out.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thank you both. You've given me some clues. I'll have to do some studying on this. Too busy with the day-to-day right now to do any programming. I'll get back to this.

Sean

Comment

Working...
        X