Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Choice of database for small apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choice of database for small apps

Hi,

I am MS Access hobby programmer, has developed few desktop Apps to support business in tracking their records/transactions using VBA. After spending time in evaluating A5 for couple of weeks, I am sort of decided to adapt to A5 for front end for web & perhaps mobile client. Just would like to seek opinion whether I shall upsize my database from Access to mySQL or MS SQL? And I am not that familiar to both of these servers (I only develop desktop last time).

To lower down the learning curve & apps delivery, I am considering to remain the MS Access database and just hook it up to A5 for front end. However, would such approach cause performance, security & other potential issue I may not seen? Since those Apps I am developing is not a big one, I prefer to have a database in single file to ease the maintenance & backup.

Which database may be the best option? Your opinion is much appreciated.

Regards,
    Pua

Re: Choice of database for small apps

An Access back end on a web site won't handle much. There are a lot of fans here of both MySQL and MS SQL. I favor MS SQL though. And MS SQL Express is free. Make sure you download a package that includes MS SQL Server Development Studio. You'll spend a few hours learning and figuring things out, but it's really not difficult. Still creating databases, tables with fields, indexes, etc.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Steve. thanks for your feedback, appreciate that

Comment

Hi Pua,

I would suggest avoiding MS Access it has many issues, which I could spend the rest of the day listing. When it comes to simple SQL, known as CRUD (Create Read Update and Delete), most database engines are very similar the difference comes if you start using functions and stored procedures.

SQL server is good, but can need a bit more memory then other options from what I can remember of it. they have a free express version that just limits the maximum memory and CPU it can use. MS SQL Server is also the closest to Access as they both use Jet SQL.

MySQL is popular option, I personal don't think much of it but that may just be because I didn't like my MySQL uni lecturer. Be aware it is only free if you don't charge your users a fee to use your app or your app is open source (anyone can access the source code).

PostgreSQL is probably the best free option but is very technical and may have a bit too steep learning curve for you.

As for single file the only two I know of is SQLite and MS server CE (compact edition) both are very good but I don't know how well Alpha will work with them. But most database engines have backup routine that creates a single file that you can backup.

I would suggest MS SQL Express its good similar to Access and if your application ever grows you can switch to the full version but adding a licence.

Hope this helps and I didn't babble too much. I�ve used most databases at least once in my life so if you have any questions I can try my memory and see if I can answer them for you.

Comment

Mark,

Thank you very much for your insightful info, it really helps. I share the same though to proceed with MS SQL Express for the time being as well to ease of transition and upgrade in the later stage.

Really appreciate your info, thanks !!

Comment

As an OLD Clipperhead, DBF runs in my blood, but i understand times have changed. I played with ACCESS and found it was not as bad as I was led to believe. Lots of good books, and lots of help. I just downloaded and installed MS SQL Express to use with AA. Gads, how confusing is this beast. Looks like I took a big chunk out of my hard drive with NO real help. For those of you bitching about Alpha Five's documentation and help, Alpha help looks like the library of congress compared to Microsoft!

Where do i start with MS SQL Express, I mean how do you create a database, tables etc??? DBF's never looked so good!

Licensed NERD....
            Regards from Washington State,
            Bill
            Licensed NERD

Comment

Alpha Five Developer

Hello There,

I will definitely use MS SQL 2012 the express version. For the long run I can find more DBAs working with MS SQL compare to MySQL. I always try to avoid free products if I can. Eventfully free cost me more money at the end of the day. I always look for a product that I can find is a company behind it.

In addition, since Microsoft sql database has other paid versions with even more functionalists you have a virtually unlimited growth path.

The Developer edition cost only $50.00 and it is similar to MS SQL the enterprise edition. For Ms sql there are also books on line right here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ms130214.aspx

If you need any help for MS SQL let me know.

Regards,

Doron
              The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: http://www.dFarber.com
              MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
              Convert Ms Access to Web
              Custom Software Development
              Alpha Five Development
              No Interest Loans Application
              Last edited by DoronF; 03-31-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

They all work very well and are to do with taste. Do not forget maria db that is a drop in for MySQL.

I would definitely stay away from access databases. There are potential problems that can bite you. We had to move away from access several years ago with a major vb app because our customers were to it's limits. We moved to mssql and went on, but it was not a one day job to switch. You are definitely doing the right thing to ask the questions ahead of time.

I use smarterasp.net to host some stuff mainly for testing client applications as needed before deployment and the asp/c#.net stuff there does lend to mssql and alpha is based a lot on ms products and has dependencies on ms products. Would think it the best overall match.

Were we talking desktop, I have a fondness for the dbf since I used it with Clipper87 and later vb as well as tons of alpha stuff.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Small Web app = MySQL or MariaDB as mentioned below. Those who know MS love it, but it is significantly more difficult to comprehend than to MySQL. I use MySQL + Navicat unless MSSQL is required. For our level of use Navicat make managing the database much easier than either of the native tools for MySQL or MSSQL.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Broyles View Post
                    ...Where do i start with MS SQL Express, I mean how do you create a database, tables etc??? DBF's never looked so good!...
                    SQL Server Management Studio Express, is a tool you can use to manage your SQL Express Db. Available here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=8961. MSDN is a good source for help. http://msdn.microsoft.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                      Small Web app = MySQL or MariaDB as mentioned below.
                      I would only add to what Steve said by reminding everyone that all of Googles db's are based on MySQL, now converted to MariaDB. So it's not just for small apps, but for the giant-ist apps in the world.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%...omVrOWFZ6L2Wsw
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

[QUOTE=DaveM;669410]They all work very well and are to do with taste. Do not forget maria db that is a drop in for MySQL.

Dave, do you use mariaDB ? Can you use MySQL for the source for a sql connection string?

TIA
                        Bill
                        Bill
                        Licensed NERD

Comment

Thanks Steve. i uninstalled MsSQL Express, (I think) and installed mariaDB, created a db, table, added 6 records. Then I downloaded Navicat for mariaDB. Navicat sees the db, table and works as advertised. BUT when i get into AA and try to make a connection string, I pick MySQL, and it doesn't work. Suppose I should have used MySQL as my database instead of mariaDB???

Kind regards,
                          Bill
                          Licensed NERD

Comment

I got it to work with mariaSQL. Just took me a lot of monkeying around until i got the connection string right. YAH!!!!!

Love AA! mariaDB is going to rock!

Thanks for all the help...
                            Bill
                            Licensed NERD

Comment

You have received so much good advice that I can add little.

There is a program called Flowheater that moves data from one format to another. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl7w_w9UVbM
                              If you use Access you can export to excel and use Alpha to import to any database you want. This is slower than flowheater but works.

We have a big system Import 500K records per day using MySQL (Truncate .. delete 500K old records per day) Access hates/falls over this method.
                              However we need to use Access elsewhere and it works well with Alpha on smaller record sets.

If this is really a hobby then try it with Access and move to SQL. The only thing you loose is time.

Alpha lets you connect to multiple databases https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHz1V-w3yrc

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X