Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic


Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.


If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.


Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.



Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

    The Learning Center

    The Learning Center page will be where Alpha Software places the resources that it believes will help the Alpha Five user and application developer. Initially, it contains reference documentation. It will eventually also contain demos, tutorials, and any other materials that our customers find useful.

    The Xbasic Reference

    The Xbasic Reference has been revised as part of a continuing effort to make Alpha Five documentation more useful. The document includes many more functions and methods, and is organized and indexed to make it easier to find the information you need.

    The new Xbasic Reference now includes the contents of the old Expressions Functions Reference, which is now obsolete.

    The Xbasic Reference is available in three formats: as on-line WebHelp, as a downloadable Windows help file in .CHM format, and in printable Adobe Acrobat PDF format - divided into three books: Programming with Xbasic, Alpha Five Object Methods, and Xbasic Functions.
    Xbasic Reference WebHelp (.HTM - 4/2/03)
    Xbasic Reference Help (.CHM - 4/3/03 - 3.0 MB)
    Programming with Xbasic (.PDF - 4/3/03 - 4.4 MB)
    Alpha Five Object Methods (.PDF - 4/9/03 - 6.0 MB)
    Xbasic Functions (.PDF - 4/3/03 - 6.4 MB)

    For comments and suggestions please email ed@alphasoftware.com
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

  • #2
    Re: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

    Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
    The Learning Center

    The Learning Center page will be where Alpha Software places the resources that it believes will help the Alpha Five user and application developer. Initially, it contains reference documentation. It will eventually also contain demos, tutorials, and any other materials that our customers find useful.

    The Xbasic Reference

    The Xbasic Reference has been revised as part of a continuing effort to make Alpha Five documentation more useful. The document includes many more functions and methods, and is organized and indexed to make it easier to find the information you need.

    The new Xbasic Reference now includes the contents of the old Expressions Functions Reference, which is now obsolete.

    The Xbasic Reference is available in three formats: as on-line WebHelp, as a downloadable Windows help file in .CHM format, and in printable Adobe Acrobat PDF format - divided into three books: Programming with Xbasic, Alpha Five Object Methods, and Xbasic Functions.
    Xbasic Reference WebHelp (.HTM - 4/2/03)
    Xbasic Reference Help (.CHM - 4/3/03 - 3.0 MB)
    Programming with Xbasic (.PDF - 4/3/03 - 4.4 MB)
    Alpha Five Object Methods (.PDF - 4/9/03 - 6.0 MB)
    Xbasic Functions (.PDF - 4/3/03 - 6.4 MB)

    For comments and suggestions please email ed@alphasoftware.com
    Hello,
    I'm very new so this is really overwhelming. Do you know where exactly I can download these documentations? The web is a big place and I can't find them. Not even at alphasoftware. Please advise.

    Thank you,
    dpappa :o

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

      Dennis,

      We all got very excited until we noticed you are picking up on a mid 2003 post by RR. Those specific documents are nowhere to be found other than if in the accidental possession of individual users. They are replaced by the V8 and V9 Help documents listed first under Support > Documentation.
      Steve Wood
      Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
      There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
      Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
      AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

        Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
        Dennis,

        We all got very excited until we noticed you are picking up on a mid 2003 post by RR. Those specific documents are nowhere to be found other than if in the accidental possession of individual users. They are replaced by the V8 and V9 Help documents listed first under Support > Documentation.
        Thanks, and no offense, but you sort of just did it to me again. They are replaced by the V8 and V9 Help documents listed first under Support > Documentation. WHERE? Do you have a page name or URL? This really is most frustrating. I have looked at all kinds of pages and was lucky to find this forum but have no idea about where you are directing me to. Please advise.

        Thank you,
        dpappa :o
        PS: Thanks for the swift reply.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

          No problem. Message board posts often lack complete information since we all have different levels of exposure to Alpha. The documentation page is at http://www.alphasoftware.com/documentation. The docs are in PDF format so you can download and open on your computer.

          The V8 or V9 docs are the first two.

          YOUR most apropriate general help file is the one you get when you open Alpha Five and click Help > Open Help File from the menu. This document will be the same or nearly the same as the PDF's above.
          Steve Wood
          Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
          There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
          Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
          AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

            Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
            No problem. Message board posts often lack complete information since we all have different levels of exposure to Alpha. The documentation page is at http://www.alphasoftware.com/documentation. The docs are in PDF format so you can download and open on your computer.

            The V8 or V9 docs are the first two.

            YOUR most apropriate general help file is the one you get when you open Alpha Five and click Help > Open Help File from the menu. This document will be the same or nearly the same as the PDF's above.
            Ah yes, now that's cooking with gas! I was just looking for a Basic that was simple enough to make a 2D game and run it on my XP. I can't imagine that this wouldn't do it somehow. I'll just have to start wading through all this stuff. Thank you much,
            dpappa (Dennis) :D

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

              And for future reference, if you look at the menu bar on Alphas home page (www.alphasoftware.com) you will see the word Support. Hover your mouse over it and a dropdown menu appears showing the option Documentation.

              Once you are on that page, might I also suggest that you look on the left hand side and see a link called Video Library. This is a great resource for new and old Alpha users. There are a lot of demos showing you how to accomplish many different things. Great way to see how something is accomplished.

              And welcome to Alpha!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

                And if you find yourself with extra free time after that, you can go to my website (link below) and review a bunch of video and technical documents under Developer Resources. My videos tend to showcase 'what you can do with Alpha" rather than on specific functions or features.
                Steve Wood
                Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
                There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
                Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
                AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

                  Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
                  And for future reference, if you look at the menu bar on Alphas home page (www.alphasoftware.com) you will see the word Support. Hover your mouse over it and a dropdown menu appears showing the option Documentation.

                  Once you are on that page, might I also suggest that you look on the left hand side and see a link called Video Library. This is a great resource for new and old Alpha users. There are a lot of demos showing you how to accomplish many different things. Great way to see how something is accomplished.

                  And welcome to Alpha!
                  Oh, that's got to be one of the best tips out there. Thanks!
                  dpappa:)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: new LEARNING CENTER tab on Home Page

                    Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                    And if you find yourself with extra free time after that, you can go to my website (link below) and review a bunch of video and technical documents under Developer Resources. My videos tend to showcase 'what you can do with Alpha" rather than on specific functions or features.
                    Here again, another super hot tip. I find video so much easier to learn from.
                    Thank you much!
                    dpappa :D

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X