Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

stuck with session variable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stuck with session variable

in the main, i am using a session variable successfully across all of my logged in pages which has taken the value from the ulink value at login.

i now have a need for a second seession variable for certain pages.

i have this code so far, but it doesnt filter to the current record.

Code:
    <%a5
    '==== get case_parent value into a session var
    if eval_valid("session.case_parent")=.f.
     dtbl=table.open("[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\casefile")
      dtbl.fetch_goto(1)
     dim session.case_parent as c = alltrim(dtbl.case_parent_id)
     dtbl.close()
    end if
    %>
    then in the page to be navigated to, i have set a session variable in the grid.

Code:
    case_parent_id=(:case_parent)
    this isnt working for me and i assume that it is because there is no filter when getting a value from a table.

i have checked the help files and i can see the section on setting variables, but the help file examples use constant values, where in the main our variables will be more than likely based upon the current record and not a value of 'George' or '000005'.

so my question is, how can i set a session variable using a value from a field in the currently selected record?

thanks

richard

Re: stuck with session variable

More streamlined code to get your value would be:

session.case_parent = lookupc("F",session.case_parent,"case_parent_id","[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\casefile","yourindexhere")

Whether you use your code or the above, you need to determine what is in the session.case_parent after the code runs. Use:

?session.case_parent somewhere to view the contents in the browser.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

i am using this in my calling page to capture the session variable (i have tried in both the head and the body of the page)

Code:
      <%a5

dim session.case_parent as c

session.case_parent = lookupc("F",session.case_parent,"case_parent_id","[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\case_parent","case_parent_id")
      %>
      i have then set an argument in a grid and a filter on page 2

Code:
      l2id=(:case_parent)
      when i navigate to the relevant page, all records are displayed and not those filtered.

i did try to add this code to a page to test the value but i am getting nothing

Code:
      <%a5
      ?session.case_parent
      %>
      i have also tried using a computed linking field from the grid on the calling page to the second page, but thats not working either.

im not really sure where to go next.

Comment

My fault, The example I gave you has an error. To be sure, I need to know the structure of this case_parent table. I assume it includes a field that matches this ULINK you get at login, and the case_parent_id you want is based on that ULINK value. If so, then the second parameter in the function needs to be that session variable that contains the ULINK value, and the last parameter needs to be the index in the case_parent table for that ULINK field. If my assumption is wrong, the it won't work.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

hi steve,

the session.case_parent is not the ulink value. which is why i needed to create the session variable.

i am ok with using the ulink session variable, but really struggled to create a second session variable. i dont even kow if i am going around this the right way or if i can have more than 1 session variable.

the case parent table can be the u link value if i can do the following

effectively from the same database i need two seperate web site projects, with 2 logins (creating the 2 different ulink values) but run from the same location. i didnt think i could do this.

one web site is a lead generation site and the other is our main site.

Comment

I did not suggest your case_parent_id or session.case_parent was the ulink. I asked if it was "based on it", or if the case_parent table included the ulink value so I could get the case_parent_id by knowing the ulink value.

But your question is different now, about dual logins.

You can have as many login dialogs as you want, but they all work against the same Security Framework system. So each person will have the same ulink value regardless of which login dialog they use.

You can have as many session variables as you want.

Its also possible that what you call ulink is different than what I call it. Ulink is the matching field between Security Framework and your local User List. It is not what they type in as their username during login.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

sorry steve,

re-read and now understand. no the ulink value isnt based on the caseparent_id so i couldnt use a seperate login dialog.

the database structure is as follows

case_parent table holds just a few fields and is the parent for all of the sales records.

casefile table is the sales records tables and the ulink is based on the unique field in this table. this is because when a customer logs in they need to log in to the current sales record. this is our main site.

the second site (lead generation) also handles customer referrals and the case_parent_id is the field that links the referred customers to those who referred them. so this needs to be based upon the case_parent table.

its a bit complicated.

i think i need to pursue a second session.variable

web database is so much harder than desktop. sometimes i wish i had never started it.

do appreciate your help.

Comment

i seem to have worked this out and if correct hope it helps others. if not correct, id be happy to hear the right solution.

all i did to set my second session variable to allow a user to navigate round the many pages of a child record was create a link in the grid component and set the session variable at this point.

Code:
                summary_orig.a5w?session.Caseref={Caseref}
                it works just fine, i have tested it around the pages and session variable is passed to each page.

the solution seems so easy but it has taken me months to get here, inc help files, video tutorials, msg board.

Comment

Working...
                X