Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

VPS Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPS Hosting

As it seems to always turn out, what I want is just around the corner!

Lacking in knowledge I subscribed for VPS a year ago. The service is quite good, fast, etc with all the normal platitudes. The one exception of course, 100% Linux as it turns out. I just don't know enough to know what I should ask. But by reading here, watching the video/tutorial, I now have a better understandaing of installation and what I need. Hence, I have done some looking about. I will probably keep it for family email, file storage, etc.

I am curious if anyone has experience with www.vpsland.com and/or can determine if their "Value" plan seems like a good deal with a good organization? It is $27 per month if paid for 3 months and probably less if pre paid for 6/12 months, which I could do.

Re: VPS Hosting

As long as you understand, as I quote from their site, this is for "..virtual desktops and lightweight server applications". If you are planning for non-critical and non-intensive application, then their 512MB is the minimum you should go. But pay attention to the drive space and bandwidth they provide at that level; is it adequate for what you want to do? One issue with VPS accounts is you don't need half the free stuff they give you, like IIS, Virtuozzo and Plesk (which even sounds like a virus).

For comparison, you should take a look at www.zebrahost.net. Their VPS accounts are tailored to Alpha Five.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Mortie View Post
      As it seems to always turn out, what I want is just around the corner!

Lacking in knowledge I subscribed for VPS a year ago. The service is quite good, fast, etc with all the normal platitudes. The one exception of course, 100% Linux as it turns out. I just don't know enough to know what I should ask. But by reading here, watching the video/tutorial, I now have a better understandaing of installation and what I need. Hence, I have done some looking about. I will probably keep it for family email, file storage, etc.

I am curious if anyone has experience with www.vpsland.com and/or can determine if their "Value" plan seems like a good deal with a good organization? It is $27 per month if paid for 3 months and probably less if pre paid for 6/12 months, which I could do.
      That plan should work fine for a site with low traffic requirements. Be aware however that they don't offer specific Alpha Five support. They won't install the WAS for you, nor will they get your Alpha Five WAS configured to send email etc. They don't have a toll free number and do not offer telehone support at all. That said they are a good outfit if you are comfortable with handling all the Alpha stuff yourself.
      Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
      Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of the 768 RAM plan w/8 GB storage. Although, the next plan up for 35 (32 or less prepaid) a month with 1024 of RAM and 10 GB of storage is also attractive. I believe the bandwidth on any of their plans is probably enough for my immediate needs. On the other hand, I believe zebrahost is now 39 a month???? so a few dollars more, as they say, is also a thought. If zebrahost could just avail themselves of a plan similar for us "hobbyists" I think they would have the customers.

This would not be a web business site nor, IMHO, a high traffic site but rather somewhere I can place small applications that I develop as a hobby while trying to learn WAS with a low cash output. Anything I would put online would not be a money producer. Were I to find an application that would suddenly generate significant traffic beyond a circle of friends and work peers I can see how better service/support would be beneficial.

I have always thought the installation of WAS was/is complicated. That said, after watching the tutorial video it seems as if I could give it a go and be successful.

My biggest concern is whether or not this is a site that would serve the needs of A5 and the WAS and afford me the opportunity to learn the system. As a user of A5 since early 90's I have learned a lot right here. Using WAS is a challenge I want to answer.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

On the other hand, I believe zebrahost is now 39 a month???? so a few dollars more, as they say, is also a thought. If zebrahost could just avail themselves of a plan similar for us "hobbyists" I think they would have the customers.
          Mortie If it is a hobby site you have nothing to lose trying the low cost provider. As you correctly point out you can get lots of support right here on the forum. In addition we will soon be launching an "Alpha Only" hosting site with lots of info on the ins and outs of hosting Alpha applications.

Comment

Originally posted by ZebraHost View Post
            In addition we will soon be launching an "Alpha Only" hosting site with lots of info on the ins and outs of hosting Alpha applications.
            care to elaborate on the emaning(s) of Alpha Only? My presumption is there will be no other software allwoed beyound A5 and WAS??

Comment

care to elaborate on the emaning(s) of Alpha Only? My presumption is there will be no other software allwoed beyound A5 and WAS??
              No that assumption is not correct. The meaning of "Alpha Only" is that we will not be offering other hosting plans such as Linux and SharePoint Services on the new site. The ZebraHost site will continue to offer all of our services but the "Alpha Only" site will be focussed on our Alpha hosting services. Customers will be able to install and run any legal Windows program they like on the Alpha VPS and dedicated servers.

Comment

AHHHH! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X