Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Time picker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time picker

Anyone have a solution for this?

I have a lot of components with time-pickers for short-time fields. But I can't find the correct combination of properties for the time-picker fields for the selectors. And, in each case, I have a default value.

For instance:

If I select the HTML5 type = time, then I get this:

iPad picker works find
    There's no default value in Chrome desktop
    There's no picker at all in Firefox

So, I leave HTML5 type = time and check the box to supply t Time Picker (the "old" method) and:
    iPad choice boxes for the picker appear and disappear as soon as they're selected. Impossible to use
    Works fine on Chrome desktop
    Works fine on Firefox desktop

I can't find a single combination of properties that always supplies a useable picker. Sure, I could program the stuff, but we're talking probably 30 time pickers right now, with more cross-platform components to come, and there must be a better way.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Re: Time picker

I downloaded the notes app and had a play with that earlier. It has a really good use of a spin control for date and time pickers. Worth looking at.

Comment

Thanks Lance. I just tried the spin control and the field doesn't even display in my desktop Firefox or Chrome.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

I'd say it's a bit of a bug that the Alpha Time Picker selections disappear... they shouldn't. For the Alpha Time Picker not sticking it doesn't seem to matter if HTML 5 = time or not... the Time Picker still will not stick on an iPad.

Also, with data in a grid, with HTML5 = time, without the Alpha Timer Picker selected, on an iPad... the time does not display in the field. The field is blank. You can select a time with the iPad default IOS Time Picker, and as you select a time, that time is displayed in the field, but once submitted the field is cleared... even though it is saved.

Comment

I put a page up with a couple of configurations:

http://us.oerca.net/_timedemo.a5w

Anyone have time to go to it, see if you can confirm the inconsistent behavior and problems I describe on the page?
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Bump. I would be most appreciative if one or two people can confirm the behavior differences I posted here. Thanks.
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Safari on OSX and Firefox on Win7 produce same behavior - A5 time field shows time picker and works fine (first field on your page). No access to picker for HTML5 time field - only displays default value (second field on your page).

On iPad, I see the same behavior for both Safari and Chrome for the A5 time field - choice boxes appear and immediately disappear. The html5 time field works fine using chrome on iPad.

Terry
              Last edited by Terry; 05-27-2013, 07:47 PM. Reason: Additional testing on iPad

Comment

Hey Steve,

I've confirmed the behaviours, as in my post, and per your test page as well. I feel there may be a data issue as well when using the iPad time picker and you don't load in a default value and the UX is data bound. In my test, with a data bound UX, iPad timepicker, no data is displayed when the UX is rendered, and after a record is saved.

Comment

Steve,

I tested and found:

HTML5 type

iPad(safari) picker works fine
                  There is a default value in Chrome desktop. it has a little spin control(up/down arrows) in the field that allow the hours and minutes(when you click in them) to be adjusted. No pop like the ipad though.
                  There's no picker at all in Firefox

A5 Time Picker Only

iPad (safari)choice boxes for the picker appear and disappear as soon as they're selected. If I hold the touch a little longer (as opposed to a quick touch) then I can get the picker to stay on screen but still can not pick a time.
                  Works fine on Chrome desktop
                  Works fine on Firefox desktop
                  Tim Kiebert
                  Eagle Creek Citrus
                  A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Thanks. I'm going to ask if they might take a look here.
                    -Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi all, any solution to this? I am testing this with the Alpha5 Date/Time picker, and on iPad, it still disappears in Safari....

Comment

I know this thread is slightly old... but was this ever resolved?

To me it looks like the bug exists for Android.

I've got two Time Pickers on a UX

The hours and minutes dropdowns do appear and show the available choices...

but the problem is, you can't actually click/tap on any time values in the dropdown!

I have tested on Galaxy Tab 3 and Nexus 7 and both fail the same way.

You click a time in the dropdown and the dropdown disappears without registering a value.

I am thinking that perhaps I should forget about trying to use the time pickers and use some spin lists instead...

What is the Notes app that Lance mentions in post#2 above?

How are people getting their users to enter times via mobile device?

Comment

Hi Michael,

The notes app is great for seeing the use of panel cards and different data entry methods for a mobile device, to see the videos and download the component go to http://news.alphasoftware.com/v12pre...seNotesV12.htm then search for notes app. It took me a while but I converted it to a MySQL database back end and now use it to make notes in my system.

Comment

Michael,

One technique that I use is to format the date and/or time in a textbox control and open a popup window when the textbox is clicked. I use spin list controls for the date and time parts and group them in a SpinListGroup.

19.JPG 7.JPG SpinLists.JPG
                            Last edited by DaveF; 05-30-2014, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that Dave and Lance, I went with spin lists.

Would have saved me half a day if the time picker control worked on mobile the same way like it does with a mouse.

Anyway, looks fine now, and desired result achieved, probably slightly easier functionality for the users also, every bit helps...

And although I didn't really have the time to spare, at least I learned how to use spin lists!

Comment

Working...
                              X