Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Xdialog - still in use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xdialog - still in use??

This is your basic new user question.

I was at the v10 conference and I don't think I ever heard a word about Xdialog. Is it going away? Has it already gone away? Are there better way of handling this class of problem? (I think the answer with v10 is 'yes'.)

Re: Xdialog - still in use??

Keep in mind that xdialog is the way that Alpha leverages new feature within the development environment. e.g., the Web Project's controlpanel is an xdialog, as are many, if not most, of the dialogs that one uses throughout the A5 development environment. It's because of xdialog, that Alpha is able to rapidly develop new features (RAD!). Xdialog ain't going nowhere, fast!
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

A large part of Alpha's revenue probably is upgrades for existing clients, thus circa release time expect all the publicity to be new features.
      XDialog is mature (aka old) . If it were to go away, I strongly expect it would be replaced with another XDialog type aproach.

Comment

Hi Greg, when they were discussing the desktop features at the end, it was mentioned that the Grid component can be embedded in a xdialog and a xdialog can be embedded in a form. That is how we will be able to use grid components in a form.

Other than that not to much mentioned.

Overall I found the Desktop Enhancements weak and minimal.

Comment

I think that v10 will be a good deal for desktop users just for the possibility off using grids, lets face it browses in A5 suck and aren't professional enough (I know alpha should correct this but they haven't, and maybe they will never do it).
          Cheers
          Mauricio

Comment

Hello Steven,

I do remember that now that you mention is. I get I was zoning out. And I think I had seen that feature demo'd in one of the videos as well.

----

I'm not sure that I am qualified to respond to mmaisterrena comment. Over the years, I have looked at several products and Alpha (with it's grids) still seems to stand out. The default browse could use a lot of cosmetic work and they have given us the tools to do that. But I agree that I want to produce professional looking programs. But there is a lot you can get by with for 'in-house' use. That may work for most.

The other point is that learning action scripting and xbasic aren't optional. To get what I want from Alpha, I'm going to have to dig deeper.

I'm trying to get up to speed. The manual on learning Xdialog is 200 or 300 pages. If I can skip that for now, I will.

Comment

xdialogs are not going away! (as one of the other folks mentioned web grids can now be embedded in xdialogs and place on forms)

there are other enhancements to xdialogs as well

Some of the other desktop enhancements in v10 are shown here

http://news.alphasoftware.com/V10Pre...uresVideos.htm

Alpha Five V10 - What's New on the Desktop

Debugger

Number Category Description
              Debugger The V10 debugger has been completely rewritten. It is much faster and has a huge number of new features to make your debugging easier and more productive.

key new debugger features.
              • color coding
              • search for text
              • goto line
              • hover over variable to see value
              • drag drop to watch window
              • drill down of property and array values
              • comment out a line at runtime
              • persistent watch variables
              • save watch variables to file
              • load watch variables
              • expand/collapse watches makes it easy to see multi-line values
              • step out

Conditional Breakpoints .

Previously, if you set a breakpoint in your code, the debugger would always stop when that breakpoint was hit. Now, you can set a breakpoint and specify a condition. The debugger will only stop if the condition is true.

Global Breakpoints Sometimes when you are debugging code, you know that a variable's value is getting changed, but you don't know exactly which section of your code is changing the variable. The new 'Global Breakpoints' feature allows you to set a breakpoint on an expression.

Variable Logging This video shows how you can use the new Logging feature in the Debugger to track changes to a variable.

Supercontrols

Alphabet Button Search you can put an 'Alphabet Button' search bar on a Form layout using the new 'Alphabet Button Search' supercontrol. The control puts buttons for each letter of the alphabet on the form and when you click a button the table is searched for records that start with the letter of the button you pressed. You can choose options that automatically disable or hide buttons for which there are no matching records.

Dropdown Browse Search

you can to put a 'Dropdown Browse Search' supercontrol on a Form. The control is like an edit-combo box. When you click the down arrow, a drop down multi-column browse appears. You can navigate to a particular record in the dropdown browse and then when you click on a record in the dropdown browse, the dropdown browse is closed and the record shown in the Form is changed to show the record that you selected in the dropdown browse.
              Alternatively, you can type a value into the control and press enter, which navigates you to the correct record.

Dropdown Browse Search - Cascading

you can create cascading Dropdown Browse Search supercontrols on a Form. The first supercontrol shows a list of states and the second supercontrol shows a list of cities. The second control however is constrained to show only the cities in the selected state.

Automatic Backup and Version Tracking

Automatic Backup and Version Tracking of Layout and Field Rules Now, when you save any Layout (Form, Report, Label, Letter or Browse), or Field Rules, Alpha Five makes an automatic backup of your Layout or Field Rules and it keeps all previous backups as well.

At any point you can right click on a Layout in the Control Panel and revert to any prior version of that Layout.

You can now more freely experiment with your Layouts because you know that at any point you can revert to a prior version. Also, the risk of loosing a Layout because of a file corruption is eliminated.

Form Layouts - Headers and Footers

Headers and Footers Spreadsheets have headers and footers - sections of the spreadsheet that you 'lock' so that when you scroll the spreadsheet, the headers and footers always remain visible on the screen.

Now, you can add headers and footers to your form so that when the window that contains the form is smaller than the form itself and the window has a vertical scroll bar, the header and footer section always remain visible.

Similarly, you can place locked content sections on the left and right hand side of the form so that when the window has a horizontal scrollbar, these locked content sections remain visible.

Headers and footers and great for placing buttons and logos that you want to be visible at all times, regardless of how the window has been scrolled.

Dynamic Properties

Report "Greenbanding"

the new 'Dynamic Properties' feature in Layout can be used to create a 'Greenbanding' effect in reports where alternating report rows are shown using a different background color.

Dynamic Properties In Reports

the new 'Dynamic Properties' feature in Layout can be used to create a red frame around certain 'standout' values in a report.

Forms Dynamic Properties feature can be used in Forms.

Forms - Disable Button

Dynamic Properties can be used to easily disable a button and change its appearance if a condition is true in the current record.

Layouts - Modeless Properties Editor

Properties Task Pane Previously in Alpha Five, to edit an object's properties, you had to right click on the object and bring up a modal properties dialog. Now, the Dock Panels on the left and right of the screen can contain a new modeless Properties dock panel that allows you to edit properties in a modeless editor.

Use Grid Components in Desktop Applications

Grid Component in an Xdialog - Action Scripting Genie The V10 Grid Components offer a huge array of features - many of which are not possible on the Desktop, or are only possible with some programming effort. However, now you can take advantage of the huge richness of the Grid Component in your Desktop applications. You can use the Xdialog Genie in Action Scripting to place a Grid Component in an Xdialog.

There is no need for the Application server to be running when you open the Xdialog - the Grid Component works without the Application server. The results are stunning!

Action Scripting

Toolbox Control This video shows how you can use the Xdialog Genie in Action Scripting to place a 'toolbox' control in an Xdialog. The toolbox control is a very rich control that supports an 'Accordion' style view with animation as different sections of the toolbar are opened and closed. This control makes an excellent menuing system for your applications.

Dynamic Tree

you can use the Xdialog Genie in Action Scripting to place a 'dynamic' tree control in an Xdialog.

A 'dynamic' tree is populated dynamically as you expand each node in the tree. For example, if you have a dynamic tree that shows countries, then states, then cities and the companies, when the tree is initially shown, it only contains a list of countries - so populating it is extremely fast. Only when you start expanding the country nodes, does it do queries to get a list of states in the selected country, and so on.

The genie allows you to build dynamic trees against SQL and DBF data sources.

Dynamic Dropdownboxes (i.e. Cascading Dropdownboxes) You can use the Xdialog Genie in Action Scripting to place a dynamic dropdownboxes in an Xdialog.

For example, you might have four dropdownboxes. The first control will show a list of countries. When you make a selection in the first control, the second control is populated with the states in the selected country. When you make a selection in this control, the third control is populated with a list of cities in that state, and so on.

The genie allows you to build dynamic dropdownboxes against SQL and DBF data sources.
              Richard Rabins
              Co Chairman
              Alpha Software

Comment

Originally posted by GregoryCW View Post
                I'm not sure that I am qualified to respond to mmaisterrena comment.
                Gregory, even my little sister is qualified to respond to my comments ;)
                --
                Browses may look good but they don't act that good (by the way im referring specifically to embedded browses on forms)
                Cheers
                Mauricio

Comment

What are a few examples of the embedded browse not working well?
                  Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                  972 524 8714
                  [email protected]

Comment

Martin,
                    Check out my sample in this thread--has been confirmed that the issues are in v10 as well.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=80211
                    Mike

Comment

about using the 'canarrive' event for anything

in your autoexec, dim a global variable 'busy,L'

at the canarrive event, say
                      Code:
                      if busy
                           end
                      end if
                      busy=.t.
                      'your code here
                      busy=.f.
                      Selwyn cam up with this technique back in 4.0

using the canarrive event can be very problematic - its better to put code in the onpush event

if xxx is true
                      ' msgbox("","no no") possibly add this
                      end
                      end if
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

using the canarrive event can be very problematic
                        This, oddly, has never been an issue until a recent project even though having the first tab stop on an object that has a CanArrive event used has fired the event on instantiation of the form since v5 at least. Easy enough to work around but Selwyn seems to think it should not be this way either.....

Also, when having a button that you do not want a user to access unless certain conditions are met....how else but to use the CanArrive?? That is what the event was created for wasn't it??

(I apologize for taking this even further off topic)
                        Mike

Comment

I understand your reasoning, and completely agree and sympathize with the irritation it creates. I don't think there is a work-a-round for it for Alpha, though. If you turn on the trace window, and open a form, and then look at the events that fire you will get an idea of what I mean. This issue has been around since 4.01, at least. As I recall, Cian commented many years ago it would be very difficult to get around.

In most cases, I use the onpush event, since it accomplishes the same thing, and obviates the irritation.
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the info Martin.
                            The OnPush cannot use the Cancel() so still prefer the CanArrive....which will work so long as the first tab stop does not have this event (thanks to Bill Griffin for pointing that out in the other thread).
                            Mike

Comment

As long as all you have is cancel() if a certain reality exists, it is no big deal. But if you give them a message, it can still be irritating. For example, some users will use the down arrow, left arrow, etc., to navigate to different objects on a form. And frequently they will get the message embedded in the canarrive event even though they technically didn't arrow to that object - the reason is that a lot of events fire illogically - like if you arrow to the left (for an object at the bottom part of a form), and the canarrive event for a button at the top of the form fires giving them the message before taking them to the object they arrowed to, if you see what I mean.

Naturally, that it works the way you want it to is what matters.
                              972 524 8714
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X