Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Any new tools for migrating desktop to web?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any new tools for migrating desktop to web?

A couple questions for you Alpha experts....

1) Are there any new tools for migrating from a desktop environment to a web environment? A couple of 2 year old threads suggest that a desktop and web project are entirely different, and indeed Steve Workings's videos seem to suggest this. I thought maybe there might be tools that help convert, say forms and browses to tables and grids.

2) In any event, can one create desktop application and a web application that share the same DB? If so, does it (as I guessing) involve the app server and the desktop installations accessing the same "remote" db, such as SQL Server?

Re: Any new tools for migrating desktop to web?

(1) There aren't any desktop to web migration tools that I know of. Once upon a time the staff at Alpha showed their beta of a conversion from desktop to web form (and back!) but the reality is that something like that just can't be made to work.

(2) You'll find several threads here about a desktop/LAN system sharing stuff with a web app. It can be an SQL backend if that's what you need, but also works just fine with Alpha's native .dbf tables. One of my customers, for instance, had a 15 year old LAN system using Alpha. We plugged a web server onto the LAN, mapped a drive to the data server, and opened up some of the data for customers with the web app.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Interesting. Thanks. Sounds like I can develop a desktop app for my company, then if requirements expand, develop an alternative web front end.

-Kurt

Comment

I was just about to do a search about this.

I have a great desktop application but am really struggling to convert some of the forms to web. Especially ones that I was using a lot of action scripting on.

I have a Windows Server 2003 computer that I've set up as a web Server. How do you create a true hybrid application with real time updates? The web application is tied to an IP address while the desktop application is tied to a LAN (which goes through a router on the client's internal server).

I just don't get it unless there is a remote login for the customer to the IP address to do the desktop work.
        Up and coming Alphaholic ;)

Comment

Elena - Is your web server part of the LAN? That's what I'm suggesting, and what I've done. Then just create a mapped drive from your web server to the data server.

For instance, Box A is your data server. Your data is on Box A, Drive F:.

Box B is your web server. Box B gets a mapped drive, designated as Drive D:, that is really a map to Box A Drive F.

That way, LAN and webserver traffic is all working with the same, live dataset.

If this doesn't make sense I'll try another approach to 'splain.
          -Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Wouldn't most clients pay for a web host or a VPN? I'm in Florida and they are in NJ so I'm definitely not part of their lan.

If I can make my computer a VPN host, then can we run the hybrid version? How would that work with the runtime license though?

Comment

Elena,

I have a desktop version in my office's LAN with 5 workstations. All data resides on the designated "Server". The WAS is also on that Server. Both the desktop and the WAS read and write from the same data set. Works great from my office.

If you want every customer to have both the desktop version and the WAS version, then I think uou would want each user to have their own WAS license which is not that expensive.

I suppose you could do as you implied in your last post - Put the WAS and the desktop on your Server, and use a remote connection from your customers to your server. I wonder about speed/performance though. And if that would work, why would there be a need for a WAS in the first place?

Gary
              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Originally posted by drgarytraub View Post

I suppose you could do as you implied in your last post - Put the WAS and the desktop on your Server, and use a remote connection from your customers to your server. I wonder about speed/performance though.
                Speed and performance is excellent with that model. In fact, it may be the best model to use for the desktop....

And if that would work, why would there be a need for a WAS in the first place?
                The WAS model is completely different than the desktop. The footprint on the client machine is a browser rather than the remote desktop software.

The WAS model is very attractive for low volume and multiple users with very little setup for the user. It is also very easy to limit users to select tasks.

The remote desktop connection allows all of the options that you get by sitting in front of another desktop except that you can't physically touch the machine - cd/dvd drives - on/off switches

But for high volume remote access it's great...

I find that they are both good tools for their designated jobs, with some overlap, but not too much...
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD
                Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al,

Interesting. So with a remote desktop connection to a server in my office, would the potential number of simultaneous users be as great as using the WAS?

Gary
                  Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Okay. Well I have 2-3 people in the company that could use the runtime license and access the desktop application via remote access that require more integral forms and constant connections. The rest would be limited to website access for updating, reports, etc. That's how I originally envisioned it, but

So, what I would need to do is:

1. Set up my computer (windows Server 2003) so that it will accept remote access
                    2. set up the users with runtime licenses with access rights on the server
                    3. set up the website so that when they type in www.name.com, the index page for alpha five comes up
                    4. ????? Seems too easy.

Comment

Al,

Interesting. So with a remote desktop connection to a server in my office, would the potential number of simultaneous users be as great as using the WAS?

Gary
                      That is one area where the models differ. You would need more CAL's from Microsoft to extend the number of users. But remember it's an issue of the volume of the work the users are doing that is a bigger issue to me.. and therefore determines the better model to use.

And the differences are getting smaller with each change in technology ( ie newer faster browsers, faster internet connections, and AJAX )
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD
                      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al,

I am a little confused. What do you mean by "low volume" and "high volume"?

And, based on what you say, it seems that remote desktop connection would be significantly faster performance, and would offer all the features of a desktop version. So specifically what are the reasons to use a WAS version?

Both solutuions would be accessible from any internet connection and neither would require the user to have any special software other than windows on a pc.

This is very interesting. I wonder if there is a list of pros and cons for one solution over the other. ...

Gary
                        Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I would venture to guess that the best reason for WAS over desktop is the runtime license cost....

Comment

Elena,

I am not so sure. Suppose you have a LAN with 10 work stations. Then you would buy a runtime license for 10 users. But I do not think there is an additonal cost to access that LAN from over the internet. You are still just using 1o users on a LAN. Well then again, maybe you are correct.

But if that is correct, then are we saying that the only real advantage of the WAS is a less expensive alternative to a remote desktop connection? Wouldn't that would seem to be a poor reason? Particularly considering the substantial cost in terms of time to redo the application?

Gary
                            Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Not if you're like me and have a hard time re-creating web applications for the desktop applications that you've already done.

The desktop application is much more flexible too and easier to program.

I like the WAS because it may be better with Ajax, but the learning curve is too steep right now and if I can get just a couple of users with a runtime license using the remote desktop and setting up the rest for web users, then this is a very good thing for me.

Gotta get the yeah or nay from the gurus first though.

Comment

Working...
                              X