Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Client Side Conditional Format Syntax To Obtain File Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Side Conditional Format Syntax To Obtain File Extension

I have a UX component with a List control.

The list has a dynamic image that displays the correct icon for a given file extension. ie) filename.pdf displays a pdf icon, etc.
    The filename is stored in a reference field called 'Notes'

This is all working fine using server-side conditional formatting with Xbasic code like this:
    Code:
    right(Notes,3)="PDF"
    This parses out the right 3 characters of the filename to derive the extension.

Server-Side_Cond_Format.png

BUT

I would like to use client-side conditional formatting (javascript) as I think this will be much faster than doing it server-side.
    I'm stuck on how to get the extension from the filename using client-side conditional formatting.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by iRadiate; 08-19-2019, 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Re: Client Side Condiional Format Syntax To Obtain File Extension

Originally posted by iRadiate View Post
    I have a UX component with a list.

The list has a dynamic image that displays the correct icon for a given file extension. ie) filename.pdf displays a pdf icon, etc.
    The filename is stored in a reference field called 'Notes'

This is all working fine using server-side conditional formatting with Xbasic code like this:
    Code:
    right(Notes,3)="PDF"
    This parses out the right 3 characters of the filename to derive the extension.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46145[/ATTACH]

BUT

I would like to use client-side conditional formatting (javascript) as I think this will be much faster than doing it server-side.
    I'm stuck on how to get the extension from the filename using client-side conditional formatting.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
    I'm not a javascript expert, but I think this code will help.
    The entry for your clientside condition would then be something like getext(notes) = "xlsx".
    You might have to play with the = signs and quote marks.

Code:
    function getext(strdata) {
      var str = strdata;
      var n = str.lastIndexOf('.');  
      var res = str.slice(n+1);
      return res;
    }
    Gregg
    https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Hi Gregg, thanks for your suggestion.
      With client-side conditional image for the list, the syntax requires data.fieldname

Following that requirement, I have this:
      getExt(data.Notes)=='PDF'

And the javascript function as this:
      Code:
      function getExt(data.Notes) {
        var str == data.Notes;
        var n == str.lastIndexOf('.');  
        var res == str.slice(n+1);
        return res;
      }
      It doesn't like this and generates errors. I thought it was the period in the data.fieldname so I tried javascript escaping the period like this, data/.fieldname but that won't work either.
      Still trying...
      Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Stephen,
        The function should have worked as is, but you are using "==" where you should be using "=".
        Hopefully this image helps.
        2019-08-19_13-13-08.png
        Last edited by madtowng; 08-19-2019, 02:15 PM. Reason: add image
        Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by madtowng View Post
          Stephen,
          The function should have worked as is, but you are using "==" where you should be using "=".
          Hopefully this image helps.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]46146[/ATTACH]
          Pretty sure client-side javascript is double equals and single quotes. At least according to Alpha's help button ...

Syntax.png

I did try both ways, but I'm getting syntax errors and getExt() not defined. I 'think' the data. prefix in the fieldname is messing things up.

Comment

Here's the component I'm using for testing.
            Attached Files
            Gregg

Comment

Re: Client Side Conditional Format Syntax To Obtain File Extension

Gregg,

My scenario is different than your component, I'm trying to do this in a List control using the dynamic image property conditional image. Hence, the syntax to get the list data client-side being data.fieldname

Comment

Ok Stephen,

I finally found some bingery that produces the desired effects on a list control.

2019-08-19_21-26-50.png
                Gregg

Comment

Can I see said bingery

Comment

I think Alpha may be limiting what can be done inside the Conditional Image javascript expression. Nothing I do here on the client-side condition seems to work, I've tried:

1. getExt(data.Notes)=='PDF'
                    2. getExt(data.Notes)==\'PDF\'
                    3. data.Notes.substr(data.Notes.length -3)=='PDF'
                    4. data.Notes.slice(-3)=='PDF'

Comment

I was frustrated that it wouldn't let me use any javascript function to make it happen,
                      yet the list control was more than happy to use any column it had access to.

So I reworked my sql select statement to create a virtual column.
                      I use MySQL by default. If you use something else, there should be a way to mimic
                      the same thing.

I'm attaching a copy of my UX for convenience.

Code:
                      SELECT 
                      	seq,
                      	filenotes,
                      	testcolor,
                      	 RIGHT(filenotes, ( locate('.',  reverse(filenotes) )  - 1))  AS fileext 
                      FROM listtest
                      Attached Files
                      Gregg

Comment

Just in case you're using MS Sql, I've tested this code, although
                        you will need to make obvious adjustments.
                        The image shows the results I got from the query.
                        Out of curiosity I ran this on all 36 columns of the table, and requested the top 50000 rows to see
                        how long the query would take. The image shows just under 3 seconds, which is about the same as
                        it takes without the "virtual" column.
                        Code:
                        select top 1 filename, right(filename,CHARINDEX('.', reverse(filename))-1) AS fileExt
                        from files
                        where  doctypeid=1
                        2019-08-20_8-55-30.png
                        2019-08-20_9-01-43.png
                        Last edited by madtowng; 08-20-2019, 10:10 AM. Reason: one extra image
                        Gregg

Comment

Something like
                          data.Notes.slice(-3)=='PDF'
                          should work.

Another option:
                          data.Notes.indexOf('PDF')!=-1

If neither work, maybe place a console.log of the data in the list's onBeforePopulate event to see if the values of the Notes fields really look like you are expecting. Compare to the values in the data after the list is populated to see if some built-in Alpha code is transforming the filename at some point after onBeforePopulate (are the filenames in the Notes field just some simple static text representing filenames or are they involved in some file synch mechanism of the list control?).

Additional remark:
                          I believe if you go the route of calling a function, the function should determine equality or whatever and then simply return true or false; not have the function return a value to then later try to perform some equality test.
                          Last edited by jgrannis; 08-20-2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgrannis View Post
                            Something like
                            data.Notes.slice(-3)=='PDF'
                            should work.

Another option:
                            data.Notes.indexOf('PDF')!=-1

If neither work, maybe place a console.log of the data in the list's onBeforePopulate event to see if the values of the Notes fields really look like you are expecting. Compare to the values in the data after the list is populated to see if some built-in Alpha code is transforming the filename at some point after onBeforePopulate (are the filenames in the Notes field just some simple static text representing filenames or are they involved in some file synch mechanism of the list control?).

Additional remark:
                            I believe if you go the route of calling a function, the function should determine equality or whatever and then simply return true or false; not have the function return a value to then later try to perform some equality test.
                            Hi Jeff,
                            Part of the problem is the list control apparently works only with <column name> == '<something>' (see image).
                            I like your thought of the function should return true or false, but then how do you determine if the extension
                            is doc, xls, or txt ?

2019-08-20_9-59-26.png
                            Gregg

Comment

Oh, I was trying it with adding a Dynamic Image and then configuring the "Image definition" in Dynamic Image Properties.
                              I don't think that Client-side Conditional style on a list Label control type is what he was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X