Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Heads Up- prerelease3921-trouble with edit combo lookups with dynamic filter & more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heads Up- prerelease3921-trouble with edit combo lookups with dynamic filter & mo

Originally posted by kingcarol View Post
    Recently I find myself thinking..... 'Just STOP, Alpha, save any new stuff for V12, and get what you already have in V11 ironed out. V11 already has everything I, and probably many, need.'
    Carol, I agree with this statement 100%.
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Re: Heads Up- prerelease3921-trouble with edit combo lookups with dynamic filter & mo

Jerry, I just sent in a bug report about the session variable issue. Thanks for looking into it.
      Carol King
      Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
      http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Carol, I feel the same on this, it was good of you to send that report - I just find it crushing after years of bug reports, 2 steps forward, 8 back , now to dead-stop, I doubt there is a test-bed, else the releases would be more robust.
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein, (attributed)
        US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

My biggest issue with all the bugs is that as a NEW developer to A5, I'm often confused as to what is a bug, and what is design. Very confusing when trying to learn something.

Comment

I hear you on that, Chris. You're welcome, Pete. I'm still hanging in there.... I am so completely aware that Alpha IS creating tools that a novice web app developer like me needs.... but those bugs can sure make me feel cranky. My customers ask me when I'll have all of the CHS app migrated to the web, and I just have to tell them... 'I have no idea.' I feel semi bad whining when I know Alpha is working so hard, but I think they should be reminded that their bugs impact our businesses, our livelihoods, and our reputations, and so naturally we get cranky. It could be that all would be less cranky if Alpha were to give a lot more appreciation to their customers for their diligence and willingness to do this beta testing stuff.
            Carol King

Comment

The Beta-Testing should be a closed group of experienced people - own forum, and not available to those less experienced as they come to grief, you are more than welcome to contact me as you strike issues and I'll work with you on solutions no charge to get you over the line, I like what your are developing Carol and how you go about it, the honesty and the vigour in your video's is easy to see. Contact me directly.
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

Originally posted by pettechservices View Post
                My biggest issue with all the bugs is that as a NEW developer to A5, I'm often confused as to what is a bug, and what is design. Very confusing when trying to learn something.
                Without getting into the whole issue of Alpha's beta releases or pre-releases, as a new user you might want to stick with official builds. If you're on the cutting edge then you are also on the bleeding edge - take your chances. That said I agree with Carol's & Pete's statements here. And, yes, it's hard to resist the great new feature sets as they are being released.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

So my two cents here--I've complained plenty about Alpha patches breaking things in the past. Legitimate release patches that the Alpha Five Developer linked me to and told me to update and then broke something in my application. The patch page that the developer software currently opens says "The current Alpha Five Version 11 build is 2549_3903 (released on 27 MAR 2012 08:27 AM)". Now I'm not going to tell you there weren't any bugs in that release--I'm sure there were.

But now we're talking about PRE-release builds that you literally have to go to a completely separate webpage to get, that Alpha has compared to the nightly builds of Firefox and has explicitly said that they were not ready for release. The page you open to get them says "This is not an official patch, so you should not deploy this update to a production environment."

I'm quite pleased with recent introduction of the pre-release line of patches with v11, because I know that some people are out there testing them, and I can test them myself knowing quite well that there are likely bugs remaining because Alpha hasn't yet released it as a patch. I know too that when my Developer application tells me there is a new release candidate, it's already been tested to some degree with the pre-releases. I agree Alpha should be testing things internally, but everyone here knows that your application users are going to find bugs you didn't anticipate as the developer. Hence the pre-releases, where actual users can find things your testers didn't before you release it.

If you want to use the pre-release patches, by all means do, but it seems a bit of a stretch to suggest that Alpha has somehow faulted you, and ridiculous that Alpha should immediately fix all the bugs but you're too busy dealing with the pre-release bugs to report the bugs back to Alpha so they can work on fixing them.

Thanks to Carol and those others who are reporting bugs in the pre-releases, and here's to all of us having some patience and willpower not to immediately grab the next new shiny thinking it's going to be the one that makes it all better. :)

Comment

Actually, Peter, I haven't had much need for the feature packs. The reason I end up going to get a pre-release is because there is a bug that has been fixed, and which is critical to me. I had been sticking with a March official release and waiting for the next official one to come out which would have a 'fix' in it I needed, but gave up waiting for the next official release... When I told Selwyn I was waiting for the next official release for a certain bug fix, he said I SHOULD be going and trying the pre-releases so I could find any other bugs...... hmmmmm, not sure how I feel about that at this moment.
                    Carol King

Comment

Good words, Chris. I'm going back to my attitude that somehow we are all partners in this and will end up with awesome products.

TODAY, it turns out that I am going to spend my entire day combing through all of my many, many grids and replacing all e.session occurrances with just session and all my e.rv with request.variables . (of which I probably have a few thousand occurances now) This is a suggestion I received from Alpha this morning because it turns out the e.session and e.rv used to set session variables 'MAY not work in the future'. Smile, Carol, Smile, Carol, Smile, Carol....
                      Carol King

Comment

Originally posted by kingcarol View Post
                        TODAY, it turns out that I am going to spend my entire day combing through all of my many, many grids and replacing all e.session occurrances with just session and all my e.rv with request.variables . (of which I probably have a few thousand occurances now) This is a suggestion I received from Alpha this morning because it turns out the e.session and e.rv used to set session variables 'MAY not work in the future'. Smile, Carol, Smile, Carol, Smile, Carol....
                        That's what you call sticking your neck out, Carol. If you are really going to do that won't all your e stuff no longer work? If I were you I would wait until such time a clear path has been revealed to all.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is right!. Also sorry about the typo's in the off-line message, having some Shiraz at the moment - been a looooooong day.

Comment

hmmm, Peter, you may be right... a dilemna... maybe I should just decide that if e.session MAY not work in the future as they said, that Alpha will be responsible enough to do something that won't suddenly hammer everybody's e.session stuff for real. (behind the scenes conversion of some sort?) I guess I'll just get on with what I originally planned to do today... uh.... what WAS that I thought I'd do before getting all side tracked into these bugs for the past several days? :)
                            Carol King

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                              Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is right!. Also sorry about the typo's in the off-line message, having some Shiraz at the moment - been a looooooong day.
                              Mmm, nothing like a good Aussie Shiraz, I must say :)
                              Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

As I said, Pete, I liked your typo of 'Goof Luck' for 'Good Luck'. seems appropriate..
                                Carol King

Comment

Working...
                                X