Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Latest Alpha Five Sales Model Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Latest Alpha Five Sales Model Opinions

Anyone have experience with Code On time?

bob
    Bob Alston
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm
    Alpha five v11 Tips

Comment

Originally posted by 2ninerniner2 View Post
      John - that is what the 499.00 Web App Server is! All you need! Slap it on "anything" on your network and you are good to go as "localhost" :) If you are using MySQL (which I am) then go and get the FREE Uniform Server - a VERY nice WAMP (Windows Apache MySQL PHP)"stack". I've got my local network set up on a Win 7 Home Premium Lenovo laptop ... handles things just fine for the 4 additional computers on the network :)
      Is that a 499 server for every 99.00 app I will sell to sales people???
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by bobalston View Post
        @DaveM

I would be interested in knowing which development environments you looked at and what deficiencies relative to A5 you found. I previously looked at and was pretty impressed by IronSpeed and PHPRunner, among various others I looked at. to me, A5 was the most "Access like".

bob
        As soon as I get them sorted out, I will say a lot more.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I looked at Code On Time since I had never heard of it. When I looked at the demos it struck me how similar it was to a SharePoint module called TeamSpace. I used TeamSpace quite effectively for a small intranet like application for several years. This is so close to the SharePoint TeamSpace module that if that is not what it is, it must be its brother. I think the most recent versions of SharePoint have deprecated TeamSpace but I would not be surprised to see it operating in new name or extended to include the internet.

For what its worth Team Space was traditional SharePoint built arounf lists and views. Data was not stored in a database, though it was possible to connect to MS Access or SQL Server. Generally data was stored as text and documents. My recollection is a bit fuzzy but I don't recall it being a true relational system though with Access or SQL Server that would not be true.

Such is my best guess about what is Code On Time.
          Regards,

John W.
          www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
            Is that a 499 server for every 99.00 app I will sell to sales people???
            Using your example on your site's "Best Setup" page, the $499.00 WAS (Web App Server) would go on the "Main Server" and that's it :) The seven other computers would access your database (now being hosted on the "Main Server") using any modern web browser. No need to install anything on the other seven systems. You could still charge the 99.00 per "seat" for access to it; all sorts of ways to keep track of/throttle the access.

The beauty of this method is with updates to your app. Say you have developed a "new and improved" function for your app. With the web version, all you do is publish the changes to the WAS and now all seven users instantly have the "new and improved" feature! :-)
            Cheers!
            Lyle Chamney
            http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
            Websites rebuilt with WordPress
            http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
            Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
            http://snifflevalve.com
            WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

By the way, 18 payments of 99.99 a month at a sale price of 1499 = 22.8400 apr.

Lyle, I have a large number of salesmen out there at 99.00 that do not use a server. They use it for their own work, not as a corporation. See Below:

UpsLog Salesperson Standalone
              Download for personal use on one computer. You could use the Workstation on a second computer for remote access. Up to 2 concurrent users allowed. Price is negotiable as I am a sales person also. You could also later use this as a server with upgrade to the full version.

I also sell a veteran's Diabetc records db for $0.00. Hmm...... that would mean I would give up 500.00 for something I do for my fellow veterans.

I do not think your math is good for me!

See Here: www.veterandiabetes.com - the file is not on there yet, so no download today.
              Last edited by DaveM; 05-30-2012, 06:42 PM.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

If my earlier comments came off indicating that we have lost interest in serving our desktop customers, then I apologize. It is simply not the case.

Yes there is growth on the web and mobile side but we do recognize that many developers want to continue building web apps. To support this comment by me, look at the what's new in v11 section http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/What%2...+in+Version+11 . You will see there are substantial desktop improvements!
                Richard Rabins
                Co Chairman
                Alpha Software

Comment

Thank you Richard,

I put it in my favorites and will look tomorrow. Getting late here.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                    Yes there is growth on the web and mobile side but we do recognize that many developers want to continue building web apps. !
                    Hhmmm...??
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hhmmmm +1
                      Possibly a Freudian slip?
                      I expect Richard has gotten the message now that there is an element of dissatisfaction rumbling around.

This all comes down to economies of scale.
                      A single user or small business of say 5 people in a close(ish) locality can work efficiently using a LAN and Desktop.

Those with the need for a larger distributed network will need to either pay for the infrastructure or go for the WAS approach. The latter is cheaper I venture to suggest.
                      However, there are more small businesses than large ones, and the larger ones tend to have their own IT services dept.

Now I haven't a clue where the break point is between large and small businesses (to use my over simplistic example).
                      What I do know is that small business will have heard of Microsoft, Office, Word and Excel. It is relatively easy to explain that an Alpha app can be bought and used and supported at a very attractive price.
                      Larger businesses tend to take the view that M/soft is a bit like IBM "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM!", as the advert went. They also hire people with M/soft skills like SQL/Sharepoint/Forms/ASP etc because that is what their large accounting and planning systems are. These skills are what people are trained to do.

We did an audit of 3000 souls/PC's in one gvmt. dept, and there were 14,000 Access databases with Micky Mouse front ends that had been developed, and most left hanging in the breeze.

So, Richard, how are we going to overcome the feebies that M/soft kill the market with? Where is the showcase for entry level applications to get a foot in the door?

One of my early jobs was stacking shelves. The idea was to sell volume, not high prices. I learned early on that it is better to sell 100 an make a penny each, than 1 and make a dollar. I will have had around 100 customers as opposed to just 1, and think of all the other things they would look at and possibly buy!

But then you have a marketing dept with all their "ideas" to manage, so as well as not replying to emails, I doubt that they would go for something radical.
                      See our Hybrid Option here;
                      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

One of the main ideas in marketing and sales is this:

A great deal is a matter of perception, not necessarily reality.

thought out: If you are happy with the deal you made - it is great - no matter if you paid 10 times what others paid.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Ironspeed is out for me due to the cost and it has to run only on MS stuff.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

It's still a Beta product. The Vendor is 4D, check the regulair prices. No business comanpy can deliver free wait for the offical launch.
                            Last edited by bea2701; 06-03-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I think that winbdows 8 may put a big hurt on desktop development

My job with alpha is probably done on the web due to the was. I will maintain my current desktop apps for 1 or more upgrades as long as it is not too much. I have decided on a solution that will entail both web and desktop without a was. Fairly simple tools, but I know it is not for everyone and it is not free either.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

@DaveM

Just curious if your decided solution will provide similar productivity as A5 or Access? If so I for one would like to know what it is.

Bob
                                Bob Alston
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm
                                Alpha five v11 Tips

Comment

Working...
                                X