Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Abyss Server X2 now has reverse proxy built in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abyss Server X2 now has reverse proxy built in

Abyss now has built in reverse proxy which makes it maybe a perfect partner with Alpha. Without this feature it was useless with Alpha earlier. Abyss is also available as a 64-bit edition. Abyss has small footprint and you can also run php or asp.net domains with it. Abyss also has security features that Alpha now can take advance.

So with reverse proxy you can run Alpha behind Abyss. You can also for example install ssl to Abyss and then use Abyss to ssl Alphas data traffic so no need to have separate Alpha server in port 443.

Your url could be something like this:
    yourdomain.com (=abyss server)
    yourdomain.com/a/index.a5w (=alpha server)

I tested with Alphas security enabled when sending and receiving url is identical and everything worked as expected . But this was just a very quick test and I don't never load a5.js library so maybe somebody else can test how it works with Abyss.

So no hurry to IIS support anymore. Maybe.

Re: Abyss Server X2 now has reverse proxy built in

I tried this using the beta version of Abyss with reverse proxy hoping I could make it do Host Headers. I can try again. Host Headers would allow you to run different domains (mysite1.com, mysite2.com) under one instance of Alpha Five. I still doubt it will work based on my conversations with Alpha but I can try again.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Interesting is to make one minute stress test in same machine and test performance Abyss vs Alpha. Because every machine is different I don't bother to tell my result here but If you have possibility to test do it. It is good to know Alphas performance in practice compared to other servers.

Comment

The Abyss implementation of reverse proxy is in practice very nice with Alpha

If you have for example domain mydomain.com.

mydomain.com runs Abyss in port 80

Then you install Was let say in port 8080 and bind it to 127.0.0.1

Then you can configure Abyss to act as reverse proxy for Alpha in 127.0.0.1:8080

So url mydomain.com you run Abyss server
        And url mydomain.com/whatever you run Alpha in port 127.0.0.1:8080.

This gives you three advantages.

1) You can buy cheap ssl to Abyss and you use this ssl to secure both Abyss and Alphas traffic.
        This means you do not have to buy expensive wildcards ssl certificates because Abyss and Alpha now runs in same domain.
        https://mydomain.com and https://mydomain.com/was both works and note Alpha runs in port 8080.

2) Because mydomain.com and mydomain.com/was fills the same origin policy requirements you can use pure ajax between these two separate servers which normally is not allowed. This means that you can use Abyss as a loadbalancer serving server requests to html ,javascript, pictures, files and so on content. So you can directly from *.a5w pages load content from Abyss server using ajax.

3) Abyss security is available

Comment

Ken, this is indeed exciting. I was a big fan and user of the short-lived Alpha-Apache integration (no longer available). I used it primarly to a) block access by various filters, b) host headers (virtual hosting) and c) dual port 80/ssl apps.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

Did you do the testing for hostheaders with this new Abyss release ? I'd be interested to know.
            Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

No, I am going on what Ken says. It will be several months before I get a chance to test. I was waiting for Abyss to come out with their version with reverse proxy for a long time, but I cannot test it for a while.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

I got my start through A5, so I'm asking from a place of total ignorance. I understand the basics here but wanted to ask and clarify a couple of things:

This means that you can use Abyss as a loadbalancer serving server requests to html ,javascript, pictures, files and so on content. So you can directly from *.a5w pages load content from Abyss server using ajax.
                So for example, if I've got a grid component using Javascript to open a PDF in a div in my application, would Abyss handle this? If so, is there reason to think with Abyss the PDFs would download faster? (we've got a significant, in-constant-use document library so this might be really useful)

Host Headers would allow you to run different domains (mysite1.com, mysite2.com) under one instance of Alpha Five.
                I understand the concept, but I have already broken my one (internal) application into multiple A5 instances for (poor-man's) *load-balancing*. Could you still run multiple instances of A5 (distinctive by port number at this point) under the Abyss url?

Could you put php and A5 code on the same page?

Comment

This is interesting. I used Abyss several years ago for a "lite" web server @ work for capturing security camera(s) photos. (Which then instantly become synced "off-site" as they are "captured.") I've since moved to a "simpler solution." Regardless, I thought it was a pretty neat little server. ~ Seemed to be one of the best out there (for my needs) several years ago.
                  Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                  It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                  RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Any more testing done here?
                    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Is there anyway to accomplish this without having to have a5 WAS as a sub-domain of the Abyss server, just purchased the X2 and have it working as you specify above but would really like to hide the sub-domain from the customers.
                      Juan Silva
                      My Small Bizz, LLC
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jmsilva View Post
                        Is there anyway to accomplish this without having to have a5 WAS as a sub-domain of the Abyss server, just purchased the X2 and have it working as you specify above but would really like to hide the sub-domain from the customers.
                        This thread has nothing to do with sub domains. This thread is about using Abyss as a reverse proxy for Alpha so there is no need to create sub domains at all.

Comment

1) You can buy cheap ssl to Abyss and you use this ssl to secure both Abyss and Alphas traffic.
                          This means you do not have to buy expensive wildcards ssl certificates because Abyss and Alpha now runs in same domain.
                          https://mydomain.com and https://mydomain.com/was both works and note Alpha runs in port 8080.
                          That was what I gathered from your thread, but last night managed to configure Abyss using the same root for both servers and that solved my problem. Installing Abyss as a Reverse Proxy is a great idea, but had some problems which I am working out with their support at this time.

For anyone else wanting to run both ports 80 and 443 with the WAS, it is doable also but you need to run 2 instances of the WAS which is very resource intensive. The footprint of the Abyss is much smaller and it has many other benefits, so hopefully they will be able solve the current issues. They have sent me a bug fix that they have not yet release, will be trying it out tonight, so wish me luck...
                          Juan Silva
                          My Small Bizz, LLC
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jmsilva View Post
                            For anyone else wanting to run both ports 80 and 443 with the WAS, it is doable also but you need to run 2 instances of the WAS which is very resource intensive.
                            If you have configured Abyss as a reverse proxy why don't you use Abyss to ssl traffic to Was. This feature is the major difference between Abyss X1 and X2. Was runs in port (for example) 85.

Comment

The Abyss version I was running yesterday did not work correctly, already tested today with the new version and the results are very encouraging, but I am now having problems importing my private key file content, followed their directions and copy pasted from notepad, but Abyss just gives me an hour glass pointer and a message stating it is waiting for 127.0.0.1 and nothing happens. Have a customer support email to then, but they can take to 24 hours to respond.

The comment I wrote yesterday was simply for the benefit of others that like me that had been struggling on how to open both ports using the WAS. I do believe that the Abyss solution to the problem is much better. Specially because if you are relying on session variables like I am you get a new session every time you change from port 80 to 443 using the WAS solution alone.
                              Juan Silva
                              My Small Bizz, LLC
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X