Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alternative to Zebra Host

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to Zebra Host

Looking to change hosting providers. I currently use Zebra Host for two projects and have recently run into some signficant problems. Anyone have recommendations on other providers?

Re: Alternative to Zebra Host

Please do tell of the problems. This could help other customers.
    Richard
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Find the Good and Praise It
    Alex Haley

Comment

1) server came down unexpectedly several time sin the last few weeks, 2) claiming I had no available space (and tried to sell me on additional space) when I had 17 gigs of space left!

Comment

Scott,

Depending on what you have on your server, you might need to look at your StorGrid backup. I have a client who had about 60GB of data on the server and scheduled a full backed up every week. Since StorGrid transfers to an off site server, it would make a backup of his files, then start moving them to the other server. The effect was to increase the storage needed by as much as 40 GB while being transferred.

If you have, say 20 or 30 GB of files you are backing up, that could easily account for the 17 GB being filled.

Couple possible solutions are 1: more storage, and 2: move files that don't change to an archive folder and don't back them up every week.
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Just for the record, my experience with Zebra Host has been exemplary. Clive and Jason are extremely knowledgeable and very responsive. I have used the Hyper V which is very fast, and I have a dedicated server that is significantly faster. Their customer support is stellar, and they make every effort to make reasonable accommodations.

I personally give Zebra Host the highest recommendation possible, without hesitation.
          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

With you on that Gary
            Chad Brown

Comment

Can't fault the Zebra Host product and appreciate the dedication of it's staff to provide excellence in service. Email Clive if you have issues. Pete:
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
              Albert Einstein, (attributed)
              US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

I have said it before, and i will say it again, you could not pull me away from Zebrahost with with a team of mules. I ran into some issues starting out, each of them was my issue, but Zebrahost always addressed each one without fail. I tend to agree with Pat, with the backup storage possibly being the problem.
                If you haven't already, give Clive and his team a chance to fix it and prove that there is not a better host for Alpha hosting (IMHO), before moving to someone else.
                J.R.
                Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
                http://www.epigate.com
                sigpic

Comment

I Don't know any better than Zebrahost. Excellent service. Try and make up with them.

Comment

I use only cloud servers. The main reason is maintenance and backups. For production I use Leaseweb cloud. Leaseweb backups twice a day with no extra cost. Leaseweb have two cloud alternatives: Express cloud and Premium cloud. Express have standard units in Premium you can build your system freely.

Premium cloud also have fibre channel and you can have multiple Ip:s. Both have standard (=the best) network and uplink port speed is 10 GB. I buy always the minimum I need. I don't buy for future needs. If I need more later I change server.
                    Express Cloud 80gb 2 gb 2core price is about 46 dollars and 160gb 4gb 4core is about 70 dollars. Cloud is located in Europe but examine choices and try one and compare performance. Leaseweb although maintains dedicated servers also in USA but in dedicated you have to worry about backups and maintenance.

For development I use EC2. It have all you need as a developer. You can launch multiple different servers if you need to test something and then just terminate them if you don't need them anymore. EC2 also have Sql server standard amis if you need to test with it or make impression for you client. In EC2 you just pay when your server is running. You can stop and start the same server over and over again or terminate it.

Comment

The main difference to other hosting companies is perhaps there cheaper also called "EL Cheapo" that oke as everything is running fine.
                      But if not what then ? call for support to the helpdesk then there is the answer, "Sorry you have no support in your plan pay by the hour at $100,00" or upgrade to our gold plan" etc.
                      I have not seen that at ZebraHosting, so a few $ more is there is the extra service = fair business trade correct ?

Comment

Have used Zebra Hosting since getting into Alpha in 2010, and I have to agree with most of the comments here, they are absolutely top dollar. Their service and support is the best I have ever used and I have experience with 11 hosting companies over the past decade or so.

It doesn’t make who you use, you will have problems it’s just the nature of machinery it falls down, what makes the difference it’s what your supplier does when it happens.

You can speak to Clive at Zebra Hosting he always gets back to, I have never sent him an email that I didn’t get a reply to the same day and most of the time within hours and that’s worth a lot these days.

I would drop Clive an email or better still call him and I am sure he’ll do his best to sort it out.

But, don’t think if you move provider you won’t have issues and problems, I guarantee you will...

Comment

I have no experience with Zebra Host, so no comment there.

But if you do wind up changing, check out a VPS at GoDaddy. After the server is set-up, you RDP into it and install Alpha. I have had a great customer experience with them.

Comment

So..... why not contact ZebraHost and ask them why you need more disk space when you hve 17 gig available? Maybe they can explain why to your satisfaction.

bob
                            Bob Alston
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm
                            Alpha five v11 Tips

Comment

Thank you all for these responses and suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                              X