Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alternative to Zebra Host

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternative to Zebra Host

I am based in Europe and have my servers in germany where you can get servers for almost nothing...

Example, standalone server (they have smaller servers as well):
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 Quad-Core
    32gb RAM (ECC)
    2x3TB HDD 6Gb/s in Raid 1 (enterprise class)
    10 TB (!) of monthly bandwidth
    100GB free backup storage
    No minimum contract period

Cost? Under $100 per month, including VAT... It is so cheap that I am looking into getting two servers with IP failover (a service they also provide).

Comment

Just to add to the support for Zebrahost - I have had to call Clive at 3:00 am in the morning and he gets right back to me. You can't buy customer service like that.

Comment

Just wanted to add my support for Zebra Host. My site was down this morning and Clive returned my call within an hour and had my site back up in less than 10 minutes. Jason even called back twice to make sure everything was working correctly.
        Thanks Clive and Jason for excellent service!

Comment

Name of the company in germany?

Comment

Originally posted by kwh View Post
            Name of the company in germany?
            Sorry, forgot.

Hetzner, think it is hetzner.de Or hetzner.com. I have had no problems but you have to rum everythin yourself...

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Very much appreciated!

I will check with Jason what happened with Scott and respond back to this forum.
              Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
              Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

OK Jason has sent me copies of his recent emails to Scott and Scott's response:

On June 2 Jason wrote:

Hi Scott,
                I have logged back into your system and managed to install the Show Size tool. The Show Size tool maps where hard drive space is being used by providing a report on all of your folders. This tool has revealed a hidden 12 gig folder.
                Did you recently enable A5 logging on your system, the option to do so are in the Alpha Application under the logging tab? All 3 options have been selected and as a result a 12 gig text file has been created. If we turned these options off and deleted that file you would reclaim another 12 gigs of your space. Logging is always a bad idea because even though it seems benign when it enters a log of every activity on your Alpha application each entry adds up to huge amounts. Can I turn this feature off?

Scott's Reply:

Wow. Absolutely. Thank you for finding this.

So the issue was solved on June 2.

Why Scott decided to post this on June 8 I have no idea!

Comment

Logging should only be used for debugging purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by ZebraHost View Post
                    OK Jason has sent me copies of his recent emails to Scott and Scott's response:

On June 2 Jason wrote:

Hi Scott,
                    I have logged back into your system and managed to install the Show Size tool. The Show Size tool maps where hard drive space is being used by providing a report on all of your folders. This tool has revealed a hidden 12 gig folder.
                    Did you recently enable A5 logging on your system, the option to do so are in the Alpha Application under the logging tab? All 3 options have been selected and as a result a 12 gig text file has been created. If we turned these options off and deleted that file you would reclaim another 12 gigs of your space. Logging is always a bad idea because even though it seems benign when it enters a log of every activity on your Alpha application each entry adds up to huge amounts. Can I turn this feature off?

Scott's Reply:

Wow. Absolutely. Thank you for finding this.

So the issue was solved on June 2.

Why Scott decided to post this on June 8 I have no idea!
                    It is against forum rules to publish private emails or part of them. I Hope you did ask Scotts permission to this.

Comment

Ken:

I did not ask Scott's permission.

My apologies to him.

Comment

Hey Ken. Please point me to where I can find the forum rules.

Comment

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...44-Forum-rules
                          Tim Kiebert
                          Eagle Creek Citrus
                          A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Thanks Tim:

Moderators may unapprove* posts/threads and warn the poster in cases where:

1.The post includes foul language
                            2.The post contains quotes from private conversations without permission (on an obviously private matter)
                            3.The post has an obvious destructive agenda
                            4.The post contains a personal attack

Not sure which of these I violated.

Comment

I co-wrote the rules. I don't think Clive broke any, even though it is good practice never to quote anyone unless the quote is directly lifted from this forum. Paraphrase always works better. The second rule includes "on an obviously private matter" because the kind of quotes we were trying to squash were designed to inflict damage, get revenge, etc.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

I, personally, am glad that Clive quoted the original poster.

Once the OP went public with criticism, I would expect the accused to be able to properly defend himself.

As I expected, this turned out to be an unwarranted complaint and I am glad it was cleared up.

Comment

Working...
                                X